SpeakerBoy

Box design - Dual 18's separate chamber

I had a last minute change of heart and decided to scoop a pair of Obsidian 18's. 

Can anyone give me a general idea of what size to build it? I am still going to get a BC2000 or a SAZ-1500 (The sundown is so much prettier .-. ) and I would like to tune it lowish for chopped and screwed music. Is 26hz too low to be realistic for music? I don't listen to hardly any rock or metal, mostly slowed rap so tightness and accuracy are hardly concerns of mine (my xplodes are going into the fire pit though) What would be an optimal size for a pair of 18's?

Once I get a feel for how big it needs to be, i'm going to see what dimensions I can squeeze out to keep the box as low as possible while having it big enough. Subs up port back n stuff. 

Also, how far from the hatch should I have the box? I'ma bolt the sucker down after I finish it in bedliner. 

I'm buying my 1/0 tomorrow and my radio this weekend biggrin.png

Edited by SpeakerBoy

Obsidian 18" v2 D2
Re: 3.97 Ohm
Fs: 25 Hz
Qms: 4.48
Qes: 0.840
Qts: 0.707
Vas: 156
Le: 3.72 mH
BL: 19.12
SPL: 86.88 dB
Sd: 1217.34 cm^2
Mms: 479 g
Xmax: 20mm
Peak-to-peak: 62mm (2.45")
Power Handling: 600 watts RMS

Recommended enclosure info:
Sealed ~ 3.5 to 5 ft^3
Ported ~ 4.5 to 6 ft^3 @ 28 to 32 Hz
Cutout: 16.7"
OD: 18.5"
Mounting depth: 9.5"
Mounting flange to top of surround: 1.5"
Displacement: 0.25 ft^3

Price: $190

I had a last minute change of heart and decided to scoop a pair of Obsidian 18's. 

Can anyone give me a general idea of what size to build it? I am still going to get a BC2000 or a SAZ-1500 (The sundown is so much prettier .-. ) and I would like to tune it lowish for chopped and screwed music. Is 26hz too low to be realistic for music? I don't listen to hardly any rock or metal, mostly slowed rap so tightness and accuracy are hardly concerns of mine (my xplodes are going into the fire pit though) What would be an optimal size for a pair of 18's?

Once I get a feel for how big it needs to be, i'm going to see what dimensions I can squeeze out to keep the box as low as possible while having it big enough. Subs up port back n stuff. 

Also, how far from the hatch should I have the box? I'ma bolt the sucker down after I finish it in bedliner. 

I'm buying my 1/0 tomorrow and my radio this weekend biggrin.png

I did a design being 13.5 cubes tuned to 32 hz with 175in2 of port area. I would go a little less since you have plenty of power.

Just follow the enclosure recommendationsof the manufacturer. Tuning lower will not help

I too would like to know how much room the port needs from the nearest obstacle....

yeah, without making the box too tall, it mean i'd just have to leave my back seats folded :(

Port should be the same distance away from the hatch/seat as it is tall/wide. If you are using a slot port this is the smaller dimension of the port.

I was thinking along those lines- thanks.