Sign in to follow this  
SpeakerBoy

crunch 1500.1

I have a crunch powerzone 1500.1 and have a strange issues between it and my head unit. I raise the gain, and there is little to no difference throughout the range until it's about 3/4 up. However, if I raise the line level input (I play music from my phone) it increases dramatically, however my highs distort, no matter how I adjust their amp. I haven't even bothered with the bb because I've heard nothing good about it; but I don't feel right maxing my gain to get decent output. It's the same level of sound as my 150w amp without the line level adjustment :( and I figure 6-700w increase should sound a little louder? only asking this now, because I plan on getting a new amp for my birthday, and would like to be able to see if it's the amp or a limp signal from the hu.

Edited by SpeakerBoy

Pictures?

Could possibly post some later. Just got thrown out of my house so i'm moping and brainstorming for now.

I have a Sony XAV-63 head unit, and I usually set it at about 35/50 when I'm bumpin, 40 if i'm really feelin' it. I messed around with it, and to get decent volume I have to max the gain on both amps, the Crunch 1500.1 and my dual 400.2 for the doors to get a usable amount of volume. In fact, 35/50 with max gains, draws less current and sounds cleaner than half gains, sub level up, and 40-45 volume.

dont really understand whats going on. sounds like an install issue. 

when using a source like a phone, you need to max its usable signal and then use the hu to control volume. 

Edited by lithium

I've always been told that gains never need to be past 12oclock, this is why I'm asking this question. I keep my phone maxed. 

Did you check your grounds/connections like M5 asked you in your other thread?

If I remember correctly you had less than 1 volt ouput on thr front/ rear rca's, if this wasn't you disregard this post.

If it is you, you were already told by many that the amount of gain necessary doesn't matter, that's why it's there.

If you have to have the gain at 90% to get the correct output from the amp, then it's ok.

The idea that the gain should never be above a certain spot/level is not correct.

I bought into the idea, from sales people, along time ago.

I found the truth from some of them members on this forum and have learned allot.

I'm a better informed "consumer" now and I'm grateful for the members here.

My grounds are straight up buff as fuck for what i'm running, I have ~900wrms total, including my highs, and I have, from the back marine battery to the frame, a 1/0 and a 2ga ground. The amp has 12inches of 2ga running to it, crammed into 4ga terminals. I have done the big three in 1/0, with a 2ga run running from the engine block to the frame (ran out of 1/0)

Edited by SpeakerBoy

Did you check your grounds/connections like M5 asked you in your other thread?

If I remember correctly you had less than 1 volt ouput on thr front/ rear rca's, if this wasn't you disregard this post.

If it is you, you were already told by many that the amount of gain necessary doesn't matter, that's why it's there.

If you have to have the gain at 90% to get the correct output from the amp, then it's ok.

The idea that the gain should never be above a certain spot/level is not correct.

I bought into the idea, from sales people, along time ago.

I found the truth from some of them members on this forum and have learned allot.

I'm a better informed "consumer" now and I'm grateful for the members here.

I think I got the idea from an old Jensen amp I had when I was 13, it had, printed on the heatsink, by the controls, "Do not adjust past 12 o'clock" and I never understood. I just erred on the side of caution. I've never burned up an amp, and I guess being conservative on the gains helps, but at the end of the day, I just want the most out of my heap of shit lol. 

Search the forum for my descriptions of the gain control and you'll see why setting it at any position is OK...

I understand how they work. I guess it was an old rule i've never given a second thought vs logic, lol.