EddieC

Bluetooth audio streaming quality

My Christmas gift from my family is going to be a new HU. I'm replacing a Dual unit with either a Pioneer or Kenwood as I've heard more good things from those 2. The new Pioneers have android app control through Bluetooth. The BT in my Dual has pretty crappy volume compared to plugging it through the aux jack. Are all units like that? Or is it just the fact I've been running a lower quality HU?

Might just be your hu. My stock head unit in my fusion is louder with Bluetooth than the aux cord. Bluetooth is also as loud and clear as using the usb too.

Might just be your hu. My stock head unit in my fusion is louder with Bluetooth than the aux cord. Bluetooth is also as loud and clear as using the usb too.

Awesome! That's what I was hoping. The unit I have is one of the first BTs that were made. Plus like I said, it's a Dual. Can't wait to step up to a good quality unit. Thanks man!

I love my jvc media head unit, it doesn't have a cd player which worried me at first, but probably the best 100$ audio investment I have ever made.

I use it for pandora, as my phone doesn't have any music on it, but the deck also had a front usb which was hooked up to my ipod.

With technology the way that it is, there really isn't much a bluetooth connection can't do, other than audiophile level streaming.

I love my jvc media head unit, it doesn't have a cd player which worried me at first, but probably the best 100$ audio investment I have ever made.

I use it for pandora, as my phone doesn't have any music on it, but the deck also had a front usb which was hooked up to my ipod.

With technology the way that it is, there really isn't much a bluetooth connection can't do, other than audiophile level streaming.

I was looking at the media units also, as I very seldom play a cd anymore. But I think I'm gonna go with the Pioneer DEH-X8600BH. Unless there's something better for the same price (160ish). I like all the android compatibility with that unit. Plus those 4 volt pre outs should sound nice.... Edited by EddieC

I don't think you can go wrong with that. I just picked up the jvc one that I had for a beater car with no amps.

Every streaming option I've heard has sounded like utter shit. I'd NEVER do it without auditioning. Personally I could NOT listen to music over it making it rather useless. It is possible they've improved the compression stream as it has been 6 months since I've heard anything, but it was awful.

Every streaming option I've heard has sounded like utter shit. I'd NEVER do it without auditioning. Personally I could NOT listen to music over it making it rather useless. It is possible they've improved the compression stream as it has been 6 months since I've heard anything, but it was awful.

With this being the 2014 model, I haven't found it anywhere local yet, only online. The thing that is good about this one is the ability to access the phone's music folder through usb on android. I have a Galaxy S4 with a 64 gig card that should work nicely with that. Worst case, I plug in the aux jack when streaming Pandora and such.

Can anyone with a recent model Pioneer vouch for the Bluetooth sq?

None of them will have "sound quality". And I have to admit that I've never run my headunit with an amp or in a car that didn't have a broken exhaust.

And m5s shitty is acceptable to most people. His standards are incredible, but at the end of the day it's about what you like.

I think you will find the ANdroid interface FAR superior to the h/u's for scrolling. In particular with 64gb's of music. I carry around 700gb of music and would puke sorting through it on a headunit. Was last years model I demo'd that sounded bad. Easy test for you, go do it with an older one and if it is okay the newer ones shouldn't be any worse. I'd also try the music folder thing. Might be fine for how you manage your music and what works for you is all that is important here.

None of them will have "sound quality". And I have to admit that I've never run my headunit with an amp or in a car that didn't have a broken exhaust.

And m5s shitty is acceptable to most people. His standards are incredible, but at the end of the day it's about what you like.

I tried my phone in a couple of other vehicles and while they did sound a little better, they had a tendency to sound garbled at higher volume. I understand what M5 is getting at. And most people will be fine with it, but not sure I can. That's why I was asking....Didn't know if the newer, better units fair any better than what I have now (which is getting replaced regardless).

Thanks for the input so far guys!

Unless they updated the format the data is transmitted in it won't be better. They were exploring options a while back but BOTH your phone and h/u must have it otherwise it won't do anything for you. Standards like this never change fast nor nicely so checking to see if it all works (if there is one) would be a good idea.

I think you will find the ANdroid interface FAR superior to the h/u's for scrolling. In particular with 64gb's of music. I carry around 700gb of music and would puke sorting through it on a headunit. Was last years model I demo'd that sounded bad. Easy test for you, go do it with an older one and if it is okay the newer ones shouldn't be any worse. I'd also try the music folder thing. Might be fine for how you manage your music and what works for you is all that is important here.

I'll drop by the local shop and check one out tomorrow. Not holding my hopes too high as, like you...so far I haven't been all that impressed with BT streaming. But I still think I'm on the right path going with the Pioneer for my budget. Although those Excelons do look sweet too.....

Since you used a phrase that we avoid on this site, SQ, it is worth pointing out that the Pioneer 80prs is 10,000x the deck that one is for creating a good sounding car.

Since you used a phrase that we avoid on this site, SQ, it is worth pointing out that the Pioneer 80prs is 10,000x the deck that one is for creating a good sounding car.

Might be a hard sell for another 100 bucks as a gift. What makes that one superior?

Probably the best sound quality deck on the market for less than $1000.

Probably the best sound quality deck on the market for less than $1000.

Just did some research.... active capability and time delay settings, etc. Maybe I should pitch in the extra $ in case I decide to go that route in the future!

Love my 80prs. I don't care for the Bluetooth streaming on it. Switching between the USB cord to my iPhone brings the quality up drastically from BT.

It ends up coming down to what BT protocols both your phone and HU are capable of using. What happens (and normally why BT streaming sucks) is the bandwidth of the protocol. BT 4.0 can support well over 320kbps streaming, but good luck finding a HU that supports its receipt.

I've been guilty of using BT when I have a random music craving that isn't loaded on my iPod and, at least with my JVC KD-A95BT, haven't had much to complain about, though there is a pretty decent loss of life to the music.

As for the 80PRS being the best under $1000 deck, I would say that's up for debate. Most feature-rich I can give you, though. If you're going to use it as a deadhead, you're not going to see much (if any) difference between it and, say, a CZ702. If the plan is to use external processing, I'd pass on the 80.

It ends up coming down to what BT protocols both your phone and HU are capable of using. What happens (and normally why BT streaming sucks) is the bandwidth of the protocol. BT 4.0 can support well over 320kbps streaming, but good luck finding a HU that supports its receipt.

I've been guilty of using BT when I have a random music craving that isn't loaded on my iPod and, at least with my JVC KD-A95BT, haven't had much to complain about, though there is a pretty decent loss of life to the music.

As for the 80PRS being the best under $1000 deck, I would say that's up for debate. Most feature-rich I can give you, though. If you're going to use it as a deadhead, you're not going to see much (if any) difference between it and, say, a CZ702. If the plan is to use external processing, I'd pass on the 80.

By that logic, if you plan on using external processing I wouldn't use a deck at all. The OP was looking at a deck that in 3 years will be worth $30. The 80prs in 3 years will still sell used for more than $120. No net negative in my book and IF you ever utilized the active mode it is a great piece. WAY easier and more flexible than the CZ for a noob too.

By that logic, if you plan on using external processing I wouldn't use a deck at all. The OP was looking at a deck that in 3 years will be worth $30. The 80prs in 3 years will still sell used for more than $120. No net negative in my book and IF you ever utilized the active mode it is a great piece. WAY easier and more flexible than the CZ for a noob too.

Gonna have to side with m5 on this one. He is right. Great headunit, great price. I actually own one and love it.

Let's establish that I'm not inexperienced when it comes to head units and I also haven't downplayed the 80prs, but IMO, it's a wash if you're not going to use the built-in active features. There are decks within the same price range that manage to produce a cleaner, lesser-colored sound than the 80. I know it might break some hearts, but it is what it is.

Back on the BT subject, the average consumer is not going to notice the same difference in quality over being plugged in via AUX/USB, or by BT. My two cents is that if the bandwidth of BT protocols your device supports aren't 3.0 or 4.0, however, I would not recommend it.

I use my iPhone 5s 64 gig with a pioneer 8500. Next model below the one you had mentioned. I love the bt. It may not be audiophile type quality sound, but it does fine for most listeners. I haven't been able to tell a difference between bt, aux sound quality. Either way you still get to use the phone interface for searching for music rather than the h/u. Much easier.

After some debate, I really don't see myself going active anytime in the near future. Plus since this is a gift the $ is a little high on the PRS. I did demo a couple of Pioneers over the weekend, but no one had the newer models. Not too sure on these as it seems kinda gimmicky with it's flashing lights and such. Plus I know Pioneers used to have that bad RCA jack issue. The Kenwood Excelons seemed pretty nice. Looking now at the KDC-x897. Pretty nice unit! BT sounded OK in the store, but you never know until it's in your ride I guess. So is this the better unit to buy? I can get it for $160.

Edit*ughhh...3 band eq. Nevermind. ...

Edited by EddieC

When things are installed correctly 3 bands ought to be enough if they are flexible. EQ is only for removing anomalies that you couldn't handle with the install work.