rowdyful7

speaker help

I am picking up a kicker 350.4 today and I need help picking some speakers I was thinking the sundown 6.5 mid bass driver and tweeter set or is co axial a better route to go I have hardly any experience with door speakers so any help would be nice i listen to mostly rap but a little bit of everything according to my mood

Have you considered going active?

You need some sort of processing to go active. I'd say go coaxial because of your little to no experience with speakers

yeah i don't have much experience but i do have a a 7 band equalizer in my room collecting dust if you think it would be a good idea to run that or would the equalizer on my head unit be fine?

How serious are you about how your music sounds?

And how much do you want to spend?

How often do you spend long times listening to music in your car?

i'd just stick to the hu and a set of coax or components 

i'd just stick to the hu and a set of coax or components 

That would be my choice also.

I want it to sound nice but I'm spending 80 on the amp and I would like to spend no more then 150 on the speakers so co axial I found some mb quarts that looked nice but I haven't heard them in person so I'm not sure what to go with I have two 18 zcons and need something that can get descently loud

good deal on the amp. i'd probably just take a chance on the sundown or IA components from the ssa store over anything for mb quarts. but you should also consider budgeting for some sound deadening in the doors. install will determine the performance of the speakers regardless of what gear you choose. 

Well I ordered a bulk pack of damplifier pro so I should have enough for the doors after the roof and back of the cab

Personally on your budget I'd look for a good used comp set. You could spend $150 on a new comp set or buy used and get $300 speakers for $150. That is assuming you are comfortable with buying used. But it squeezes out a bit more performance per dollar when you are on a tight budget, and you'll lose less when you try to sell them.

Well how is the cheaper crescendo comp set or is the more expensive one that much more worth it

So can anyone tell me the pros/cons of getting a comp set or going with co axials?

So can anyone tell me the pros/cons of getting a comp set or going with co axials?

They sound better then co axials but are harder to install.

Well I have factory spots for the tweeter and 6.5 so couldn't I just make a spacer with some mdf for the 6.5 and put the tweeter in the factory spot

Well I have factory spots for the tweeter and 6.5 so couldn't I just make a spacer with some mdf for the 6.5 and put the tweeter in the factory spot

Sure that's one way to go.

There will be a crossover to mount that the original speaker wires go to and then you run wires from it to your mids and tweeters.

Well I have a 350.4 amp I know this might sound dumb but if I plug the factory wires in the crossover do I run the wires to the amp then back to the crossover?

Well I have a 350.4 amp I know this might sound dumb but if I plug the factory wires in the crossover do I run the wires to the amp then back to the crossover?

well first you need to send the signal to the amp. either rca from the head unit or if you're running a stock headunit you would use a LOC. 

next you decide where to put the passive crossover. either by the amps or upfronts. preferably not in the doors as they would be exposed to water. i would either do try to place them in the kick panel or back by the amps. 

the passive crossover will have 1 set of inputs which is wired to the amp's speaker terminal. the crossover will then filter that signal into two sets of outputs. one going to the tweeter and the other going to the woofer. 

also i would bridge the 4 channel to the comp set if that wasn't your intention already. 

does that answer your question? 

edit: oh i see you guys were talking about taping the stock wire. i tend to just run my own 16 gauge. 

Edited by lithium

I have tons of speaker wire so I can run the wire from the input on the amp and then the speakers to the output?

are the mezzo crescendo comps worth the 250 cause if they are ill come off the cash to get it or is there cheaper set a better price/performance value?

are the mezzo crescendo comps worth the 250 cause if they are ill come off the cash to get it or is there cheaper set a better price/performance value?

IA comps work well. 

Alright I'll probably go with those since I dont have experience with any others

Also a second question I know usually alot of people say dont put speakers in the back but in my ext cab the rear speakers are just as close to my ears as my front speakers are would any of you recommend getting a set for the back?