SpeakerBoy

Reading material on 2 way and 3 way systems?

I'm just looking for some pointers on where I could look for reputable information on designing 2 way passive, 2 way active and (after some practice) eventually 3 way active front stages. Just stuff like, what to keep in mind as far as driver selection, particular features to look for when choosing a certain driver, and how to design passive crossovers.  

I was daydreaming and hit a roadblock when I realized, 

what the hell do I even know about a quality front stage? I can't say much at all, other than, deaden, and airseal the speakers. So I feel like it's time to start learning, might even have some applicable tips on hand for when the new truck is ready :)

I'm planning on the Loudspeaker cookbook, but what are some online resources (other than the forum of course lol) that you'd recommend?

Thanks!

dont really see a point in building your own passive 2 way. requires more work than an active 2 way. 

best way to learn would be to install a typical passive 2 way and tweak it until you've gotten everything out of it. If you're not happy with the preformance at that point then you choose to go active or not. If you choose to move forward then take that same set, replace the passive xover with an active xover (requires a 4 channel amp and processor), and tune it again until it sounds even better. Now you know where or not the drivers can do what you need them to do. If they can't then its time to look at new drivers to fit your performance needs (output, sq, etc). 

as to what drivers you may want to consider i'd come here asking for recommendations. i've been doing this for a little while and still dont feel comfortable picking out drivers without first getting some recommendations and advice

if you want to read about how NOT to go about it read that stupid ncc thread... 

Edited by lithium

dont really see a point in building your own passive 2 way. requires more work than an active 2 way. 

best way to learn would be to install a typical passive 2 way and tweak it until you've gotten everything out of it. If you're not happy with the preformance at that point then you choose to go active or not. If you choose to move forward then take that same set, replace the passive xover with an active xover (requires a 4 channel amp and processor), and tune it again until it sounds even better. Now you know where or not the drivers can do what you need them to do. If they can't then its time to look at new drivers to fit your performance needs (output, sq, etc). 

as to what drivers you may want to consider i'd come here asking for recommendations. i've been doing this for a little while and still dont feel comfortable picking out drivers without first getting some recommendations and advice

Two way passives? Was thinking about building bookshelf speakers for some locals to make some money on the side.

I want to try a three way active one day as it seems like a proper challenge, however, what is gained with three speakers over two, provided the two way is already setup correctly? Ease of reproduction? I was always told to keep it simple. 

But other than that, I am game for trial and error, and some foolin' around with different sets. That has to be my favorite way to learn by far; not to mention, learning by experience tends to be more rewarding :)

Lol

Loudspeaker design cookbook.

To be honest it depends on how far down the rabbit hole you want to go. The response to your question could be rather basic general information or very detailed and technical. Either way to make the best use of your time I think reading the Loudspeaker Cookbook to get a basis of general understanding is a must. It's an extremely boring read, however. You have to REALLY want to learn this stuff to power through it.

Loudspeaker design cookbook.

To be honest it depends on how far down the rabbit hole you want to go. The response to your question could be rather basic general information or very detailed and technical. Either way to make the best use of your time I think reading the Loudspeaker Cookbook to get a basis of general understanding is a must. It's an extremely boring read, however. You have to REALLY want to learn this stuff to power through it.

Look man, some people drunk dial, but the last time I got blackout drunk, an amp and a wire kit showed up at my house two days later; not even the first time this has happened :lol:

The love of the hobby is there, trust me. :)

Cool story bro :fing34:

Making money building 2 way passives isn't so easy. Normally takes iterations to come up with something that works and regularly the crossover is more expensive than the drivers. Add that up and unless you are filling a niche (which is usually already filled) you won't make anything. Then of course is the need for measurement gear which ain't cheap and it gets tough.

In a car, in reality what you learn in house only helps so far. The problem with in vehicle are the mounting locations suck compared to in a house so you have to figure them out first. Since that is usually already defined then the other steps above are sort of out of order.

Two way passives? Was thinking about building bookshelf speakers for some locals to make some money on the side.

I want to try a three way active one day as it seems like a proper challenge, however, what is gained with three speakers over two, provided the two way is already setup correctly? Ease of reproduction? I was always told to keep it simple. 

But other than that, I am game for trial and error, and some foolin' around with different sets. That has to be my favorite way to learn by far; not to mention, learning by experience tends to be more rewarding smile.png

lots of good bookshelf designs out there if you want to build and sell. zaphaudio for example