Dylan Matlow

Sorry everything is taking so long...

I imagine with it being more aimed at DIY Home, that the off-axis response will not be focused on?

Nice pun, focused off axis...

I imagine with it being more aimed at DIY Home, that the off-axis response will not be focused on?

It will indeed be focused on, there is no reason not to adress this issue in every way we can. Phase plug & shallow cone... Atleast I'm a fan of a phase plug option at this point. I found a silicon carbide cone, however the mass of the cone alone is a major stumbling block... As is we are looking at between 12-14g for just the SiC cone which is very, very heavy... This would yield between 86-90dB/w depending upon the Q of the driver. We have a quite nice shallow paper cone that is very well behaved for the normal release version of the omega if we can't find a manufacturer of an appropriate SiC cone in time (in the quantity we need at a reasonable price). It can always wait for another future project... I just want to get these out before summer is over!

that's at least 3 in here for black chrome!

like bigger george just stated, much more unique and rare. be different. there are alot of gloss black, bare aluminum, and polished baskets out there. but i know of none black chrome.

so do it!! do it!!

wheeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee :slayer:

Indeed -- I love the idea... Matt grumbled at the extra price per unit and us trying to have the best bang for the buck that we can... I believe that we can have 1/2 of them black chrome and 1/2 of them unfinished without any problem and just charge $10 more/each for the black chrome and see how big of a hit it is :). I figure that is a fair price? That way we only need to sell 60 black chromed units to break even on the finish incase its not *that* big of a hit...

Or should we just not offer an unfinished option and just have it cost $5 more/each than it would have otherwise?

PS. I found a sexy cast basket that will allow for 16.75mm of xmech without a spider landing spacer (maximum of 27.5mm tall cone). Naturally we will trade cone height for xmech with a spacer...

Omega1663_n.jpg

What do you think about that one?

This would give us a depth of just under 4" for the omega. ~(3.9)

5 for black chrome...jsut do a black chrome run and add the $5 per driver...that's not all that much...

that basket for the omega looks good.

wheeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee :slayer:

that's at least 3 in here for black chrome!

like bigger george just stated, much more unique and rare. be different. there are alot of gloss black, bare aluminum, and polished baskets out there. but i know of none black chrome.

so do it!! do it!!

wheeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee :slayer:

Indeed -- I love the idea... Matt grumbled at the extra price per unit and us trying to have the best bang for the buck that we can... I believe that we can have 1/2 of them black chrome and 1/2 of them unfinished without any problem and just charge $10 more/each for the black chrome and see how big of a hit it is :). I figure that is a fair price? That way we only need to sell 60 black chromed units to break even on the finish incase its not *that* big of a hit...

Or should we just not offer an unfinished option and just have it cost $5 more/each than it would have otherwise?

PS. I found a sexy cast basket that will allow for 16.75mm of xmech without a spider landing spacer (maximum of 27.5mm tall cone). Naturally we will trade cone height for xmech with a spacer...

Omega1663_n.jpg

What do you think about that one?

This would give us a depth of just under 4" for the omega. ~(3.9)

5 for black chrome...jsut do a black chrome run and add the $5 per driver...that's not all that much...

that basket for the omega looks good.

wheeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee :slayer:

Just a little update -- The Delta frames should be in today (22nd).

sweet. these may be my RE mid replacement...if i ever get the money. I dont know what im going to ask for for my B-day... Optima Yellow top or new mids and an active crossover.

Regarding the choice on 4-spoke Eclipse basket. I'm not sure who is supplying them to you, but we designed that basket in 2001 and we have a 14 year patent on it. I'll be happy to give you the patent # if you like, but the problem is that this is not a "generic" basket. We paid over $20,000 to have the tool made and we really don't like it when other people use our baskets and make it seem generic. Eclipse, one of our bigger customers and they hold a license for this basket. They are the only company by contract who gets the rights to use this basket for car audio, and we supply them. We legally can not allow anyone to use this frame, or the 6-spoke 15" and 18" for that matter.

Thank you for understanding. If could please tell me who supplies you with the frame, I would greatly appreciate it.

Kyle

TC Sounds

Edited by 7

Regarding the choice on 4-spoke Eclipse basket. I'm not sure who is supplying them to you, but we designed that basket in 2001 and we have a 14 year patent on it. I'll be happy to give you the patent # if you like, but the problem is that this is not a "generic" basket. We paid over $20,000 to have the tool made and we really don't like it when other people use our baskets and make it seem generic. Eclipse, one of our bigger customers and they hold a license for this basket. They are the only company by contract who gets the rights to use this basket for car audio, and we supply them. We legally can not allow anyone to use this frame, or the 6-spoke 15" and 18" for that matter.

Thank you for understanding. If could please tell me who supplies you with the frame, I would greatly appreciate it.

Kyle

TC Sounds

You have a PM with my source. I sent you an email on the 14th about this as well. I have every intent on staying in good terms with TC Sounds.

Please get in touch with me via email (info *at* ologyaudio.com) or preferably via AIM: OlogyAudio.

Kyle

TC Sounds

You have a PM with my source. I sent you an email on the 14th about this as well. I have every intent on staying in good terms with TC Sounds.

Please get in touch with me via email (info *at* ologyaudio.com) or preferably via AIM: OlogyAudio.

Hey thanks, and if you need anything for your project, let us know.

Hey thanks, and if you need anything for your project, let us know.

We sure do :) a basket that supports in the neighborhood of 50-60mm of rearward cone movement without infringing on anyone's products.

Does anyone recognize the frame used here? I would rather not use someone else's protected frame:

DBY10.jpg

It only supports 52.5mm though... Needless to say we aren't in the position to shell out $20k of tooling.

Also does anyone recognize the 6.5" frame? I don't... and its from another company than the "GZ" frame so hopefully its safe...

The frame in the picture is from the same company as the frame in question by TC sounds so I'm kinda wary... The nicest 15" frame that the other company has supports 48.5mm of xmax and only comes in a 15"

SF385-684_n.jpg

Anyone recognize that? This company actually has .dwg for all of their items so they struck me as a bit more professional and I was leaning towards utilizing them for most of our needs in the future anyway...

Edited by Dylan Matlow

I dont know who owns that frame, but looks like that black one will do it. You really need to get a drawning of the basket and make sure hte spider is at least 10", it proably is based on the picture.

good luck!

Edited by 7

I dont know who owns that frame, but looks like that black one will do it. You really need to get a drawning of the basket and make sure hte spider is at least 10", it proably is based on the picture.

good luck!

It seems JBL does... Still waiting to hear back from them...

As for the "GZ" frame...

http://www.icixsound.com/vb/icixnation/images/38_213.jpg

It seems that ED is using this frame for their new "SP" sub. Are they out of line in using this basket?

oh my bad its not a xxx... the xxx has one "spoke" per spoke

Oh and Kyle check your pm box

And do you have AIM/msn/yim by any chance?

Edited by Dylan Matlow

whats going on? could someone inform me? please tell me this isn't anotehr 4in VC proto and its a good 3in coil. what is the design stand point? looks like oyu aiming at a high Xmax. i like the surround cone and backet. i know nothing about the motor. hopefully low dampning so it excells ported with good PH and good throw.

HMFBD Dylan!

Another year... I'm starting to feel old in my bones...

As for this project... We are still waiting to hear back from JBL about that black basket. We have heard that this is indeed an open tooling now but it doesn't hurt to be 100% sure.

The Delta baskets are in so we can start work on assembling that project at least...

As for the T/s on the sub we will have several different top plate thicknesses and we are considering having several different wire awg and gap widths available in order to give a little bit more variety. Each unit will be made to order :)

As for the omega I want to have at least 2 different top plate thicknesses where you can trade between higher xmax and higher BL. We are also leaning towards having both a light paper cone option and a fairly heavy SiC cone option as well. I am leaning towards moving to a 1.5" diameter voice coil instead of a 1" and up to a 4" OD, 2" ID, .25" thick neo magnet (Insane). ~(82-94dB/w depending on 2/4 ohm light/heavy cone high/lower xmax... We could do something of a more pure extended range driver with 2-3mm of xmax with insane ~96dB/w for home or pro audio only to be used in a 3+ way)

We have a 3" diameter voice coil self shielded underhung motor design I happen to rather like for a 6.5" or 8" but it would need a custom basket for a 6.5"... These would be Extended range Midwoofers... 80-90dB/w depending on if its a light paper cone or a heavy SiC cone, if its 2 or 4 ohm (2 ohm being a much higher qes design and takes a hit in sensitivity)...

SF200-642_n.jpg

Is a rather nice 8" frame... if only that came in a 6.5" variety...

I have also been playing around with two high xmax 8" overhung designs with this basket and rather high inductance. The suspension will be the greatest challenge with these and might ultimately be the limiting factor in terms of clean excursion... In which case we would tone down the motor's xmag a bit

The smaller box low frequency brute .4 cuft box, 30hz tuning, good down to the mid 20s... We are looking at inductive rolloff starting at about 180hz with this unit and 30mm of xmax. Needless to say its not going to be the best SQ unit out there... ~80dB/w. ~800W power handling. Copper coil.

The other unit suffers from inductive rolloff after about 260hz so it is again strictly a subwoofer. .6-.8 cuft box tuned to ~35hz for car and can attain higher SPL levels... It is kind of a large box for an 8" and it would be natural to move up to a 10" of a different brand unless you just love the idea of all the sound coming from an 8... On the other hand it would make a sick floor standing integrated subwoofer in 1.2-1.5cuft tuned to 22-25hz and a 2nd order Butterworth at 80hz... ~82dB/w and ~1000-1200W power handling. Aluminum Coil.

Any input on those overhung 8" subs? They use the same motor, different coils... Keep in mind this is all in the world of theory and naturally some part specs aren

Edited by Dylan Matlow

I just dont see that 8 competing with the top dogs and keeping the cost down enough to be a bargian.