Depending on how much current you have on the 12v rail you could. But honestly it'd be cheaper to pick up a second hand home audio receiver/amp.

Yes you can, but I wouldn't advice it, although it's a 10x better option then using a xbox power supply or anything like that.

The only thing I would use it for is to test if the amps work.

As Julian said, home audio amplifiers will work a lot better and won't cost you a lot.

For the price of a quality power supply worth using, you get a pro audio amp with high power, multiple load options, and the stability and ease of making power through standard 120VAC power.

so i am a DJ and i have alot of pro audio amps and i do have Car Audio Subs for my DJ Subs and they work perfectly , but i just wanted to use the lab power supply to test different amps and setups and have like a temporary system to use,

You probably should understand ohm's law before shopping. It'll clear things up FAST.

Go ahead and calculate the amps you'll need. At 90% efficiency, 12v a 1000w amp will need over 90 amps. I have a 47amp supply at home that is hardcore jerry rigged to get it under $200. You'd need a pair of them. This is just for a measly 1000w and not really with much headroom.

So yes, you can...but yikes.

You probably should understand ohm's law before shopping. It'll clear things up FAST.

Go ahead and calculate the amps you'll need. At 90% efficiency, 12v a 1000w amp will need over 90 amps. I have a 47amp supply at home that is hardcore jerry rigged to get it under $200. You'd need a pair of them. This is just for a measly 1000w and not really with much headroom.

yea so the one i was looking to buy was a vizatek power supply witch u can adjust the currents, voltage and the amps needed so it wont blow

yea so the one i was looking to buy was a vizatek power supply witch u can adjust the currents, voltage and the amps needed so it wont blow

But it has limits as to how well it will perform especially without stepping up to a three phase power supply.

J

What are its listed limits? These are designed to be a limited use piece of equipment. To test for smaller items on DC power, not high draw amplifiers.

If you want to test for properly powering up and turning on, that should work. To use as a longer term power supply is just not what these are designed for

J

LABORATORY%20DC%20POWER%20SUPPLY.jpgso this is what it looks like but i have little knowledge using one(probrally comes with manual) 

If this one is yours I can assume the numbers displayed on the picture are the maximum values, so it will only work for amps up to 3A*14V=42W.

Lab power supplies aren't made to supply a lot of current.

So what will happen if little power supplies are used to power amps? I have a crappy power supply from an old comp and use it to test amps a lot in my garage. . But sometimes have an amp hooked up a while. Will this mess up amps or just cant get the most out of them?

You can't get anywhere near the potential of the amplifiers (unless they are small in power). Once the current capability is exceeded the voltage will drop drastically. Whether or not it would hurt anything depends on a lot of factors, but if it's only for testing and such it shouldn't be an issue.

It would be better to get a small bank of batteries and a good charger rather than a power supply. But then again none of the options are even remotely optimal.

LABORATORY%20DC%20POWER%20SUPPLY.jpgso this is what it looks like but i have little knowledge using one(probrally comes with manual)

You'd need 30 of them wired up together to supply a 1000w amp. At $200 each...

....you can buy one hell of a home amp for $200 and an uber awesome one for $6000

So what will happen if little power supplies are used to power amps? I have a crappy power supply from an old comp and use it to test amps a lot in my garage. . But sometimes have an amp hooked up a while. Will this mess up amps or just cant get the most out of them?

Depends on the amp and you, but both are possible.

My home power solution is a couple computer power supplies, but they are server ones. Lots of dicking around but I can supply nearly 50a which isn't enough for a stereo hardly.

If I was to set up a test station, this is the power supply I would get for it.

http://www.dxengineering.com/parts/asr-vls-35m

Now if you plan to set up a small DJ system, couldn't you just use a couple of "plate" amplifiers ??

Like this: http://www.parts-express.com/dayton-audio-spa250-250-watt-subwoofer-plate-amplifier--300-803

Edited by Randal Johnson

Now if you plan to set up a small DJ system, couldn't you just use a couple of "plate" amplifiers ??

Like this: http://www.parts-express.com/dayton-audio-spa250-250-watt-subwoofer-plate-amplifier--300-803

Both would be HUGE wastes of money.

Can get 50a for nearly 1/4 the price power supply wise. And fans are of no concern when dj'ing so not buying pro audio is nuts.

I find it amusing your chase for batteries and power in your car yet you pick a measly 35a supply.

Can get 50a for nearly 1/4 the price power supply wise. And fans are of no concern when dj'ing so not buying pro audio is nuts.

I find it amusing your chase for batteries and power in your car yet you pick a measly 35a supply.

Yea, you can find cheaper shit that may work, but no where near the build quality of an Astron.

And you can buy different models to fit your needs.

Really ?? When is the last time you DJ'd a concert or party ? No need for fans ??

Those amplifiers get hot playing strong for several hours at a time with minimal room to breathe.

My DJ amplifiers had built in fans that ran constant during shows and events.

And I still had to add additional fans to them.

But it's what ever bro, I was just trying to help

Edited by Randal Johnson

Yea, you can find cheaper shit that may work, but no where near the build quality of an Astron.

And you can buy different models to fit your needs.

Really ?? When is the last time you DJ'd a concert or party ? No need for fans ??

Those amplifiers get hot playing strong for several hours at a time with minimal room to breathe.

My DJ amplifiers had built in fans that ran constant during shows and events.

And I still had to add additional fans to them.

But it's what ever bro, I was just trying to help

Quality power supply, rofl. Brand boners on more useless stuff? Nice.

As for the amp, you recommended one without a fan I recommended the fan. Your response is teh backwards.

Sounds alot better than "jerry rigging" it as you call it. LOL

I have a 47amp supply at home that is hardcore jerry rigged to get it under $200.

I think the OP would need something a bit more stable than what you have "rigged" up.

As for the amp, you recommended one without a fan I recommended the fan. Your response is teh backwards.

Hmmm, Guess I read your post wrong here.

And fans are of no concern when dj'ing so not buying pro audio is nuts.

In a way, It's hard to understand what you mean here.

Even the amplifier I suggested, that company has several different models to choose from.

Depending on what he would need for his application. Correct ??

All I suggested was that style of "plug in" amplifier.

Edited by Randal Johnson

Sounds alot better than "jerry rigging" it as you call it. LOL
Again you are wrong. sad.png I've got more stability, less noise and in general a better supply for less. Nothing like what I used to get to play with when I was the Elgar/Sorensen rep, but better than what you offered up. Even still pointless discussion in that regard since you are using it to power an amplifier. As with an amp, it really just needs to get the job done. Stop chewing on the bs psychoacoustics and instead use your ears and brain for once.

To clarify the other point, you recommended a plate amp for a DJ application. They are designed to be quiet in the living space you are in. Pro Audio amps have fans and yes are not optimized to be quiet, but for power per $ which is what you need when you are filling a large venue. Bang for the buck in that application they always win, but of course that is exactly what they were designed to do.