mikeyraw215

which Sub would u choose and why

If u had to run 1 12" sub in a sedan trunk set up which one of these listed below would u choose and why.

Sundown ZV4-12

SSA ZCON-12

AA Mayhem-12

Too subjective to answer accurately.  Without Goals, power, airspace available...

ssa zcon

because I run one already as a single sub setup on 3500 watts

its amazingly loud.

really deep bass and still sounds good.

but idk what your goals are or type of music you like.

my goal was to be as loud and deep as possible with a single 12 and I couldnt be happier and I wouldn't hesitate to buy another. I here really good things about dss ethos so you may want to check those out as well

If you put a gun to my head and made me pick, one of the two built here but the one I could buy at near wholesale online versus B&M. That being said, I'd probably pick different if I knew the goals.

AQ/sq HDC3(aluminum), but I would go with ssa out of the 3 subs you listed.

Personally I've had 4 setups with the ZCONs and I have loved every single one of them.

But honestly without giving any information about your setup or goals, you'll get mostly subjective answers.

all, neither,. none..

power,vehicle, goal, want, budget

hard to say...

for you...

for me, i know what i would do...

Personally I've had 4 setups with the ZCONs and I have loved every single one of them.

But honestly without giving any information about your setup or goals, you'll get mostly subjective answers.

all, neither,. none..

power,vehicle, goal, want, budget

hard to say...

for you...

for me, i know what i would do...

^agreed

You may need to be more alaborate to get the answer your lookin for..

only two of the three subs you listed are comparable ... one of them is  a banana in a bowl  of apples

I'm just curious what sub would the buyer choose from these 3 subs and why and what set up would u do in a sedan trunk and what goals would u aim towards.

For my set up I'm most likely gonna get the zv4 and do a 4th order bandpass and shoot the port thru the rear deck. Just curious what u guys do given the circumstances.

That's pretty ambitious for a 1st setup.  My 1st set up was 2 10" kickers in a sealed box.LOL

Of those 3- I would try the Zv4 just out of curiousity(never heard one).  I would bould a normal slot prt box, cuz it is what I know.  and throw ~ 2K watts at it.  but that is me.

Never heard an AA Sub either- but with them seemingly disappearing, the other options seem more attractive.

The Zcon's, what can you say...they are bad ass.  and power hungry!  I am on my 2nd Xcon 18 in my Zuk(sold the first one- then regretted it so much I bought another),  so I have nothing but good things to say about SSA.

BUT- after all of that.  I would seriously contact Quentin(DSS) to see if he has any motoers left to built you an Ethos 12.  Half the price of those listed on here. read BigJons, and Swifts reviews on them.

BTW- I know a guy with a 12" Zcon for sale if you were interested(I would personally vouch for it).

Edited by Leedogg

I'm running a mayhem on 2k but it's hard to give you an answer on what's best when nobody has done a direct swap or heard all 3 subs on adequate power. Most people just read reviews and choose whatever they find more appealing when it comes to decisions like this.

For my set up I'm most likely gonna get the zv4 and do a 4th order bandpass and shoot the port thru the rear deck. Just curious what u guys do given the circumstances.

That would be about the last thing I'd recommend for a first setup. BP in general are a waste of time although they do have some applications and the port through is definitely an advantage, but the iteration and knowledge required to understand what is happening so you make a good decision is far from trivial.

All good answers and just to let u guys know it's not my first set up its just the next set up I'm thinking about doin. The reason I chose the zv4 is for one I love the lows and I know that sub was basically designed for that purpose, also I chose to do a 4th order bandpass cuz I've heard several set ups that sounded awesome and I'm really trying to avoid trunk rattle although I know that there are other ways around that......

All good answers and just to let u guys know it's not my first set up its just the next set up I'm thinking about doin. The reason I chose the zv4 is for one I love the lows and I know that sub was basically designed for that purpose, also I chose to do a 4th order bandpass cuz I've heard several set ups that sounded awesome and I'm really trying to avoid trunk rattle although I know that there are other ways around that......

using a bandpass enclosure to direct the sound through the rear deck or rear seat makes sense. but it wont sound any better/different than a vented enclosure. 

double post

Edited by lithium

using a bandpass enclosure to direct the sound through the rear deck or rear seat makes sense. but it wont sound any better/different than a vented enclosure.
Better no, but the possibility of worse is WAY fucking higher.