ahl395

High QTS Q12 in a ported enclosure

Hey everyone

I made a similar thread some time ago, but it seems to have died and my question today is a bit different.

I know it is not designed for it, but I am determined to try my Q12 in a ported box. If it doesnt sound good, I can always put it back in my sealed box. 

Anyway, since I do have a high QTS version, should any of the suggested box parameters be changed? Say a smaller/larger enclosure or a higher/lower tuning frequency? I should be able to go up to 2.1-2.3 cu.ft after the sub's displacement. And I was planning on tuning to 32hz as that's whats recommended. Also, would polyfill be beneficial, or not?

Any thoughts are greatly appreciated.

the box will be completely different than the recommended as they only correspond to the non-high Qts version. Whats the issue with the current sealed enclosure?

the box will be completely different than the recommended as they only correspond to the non-high Qts version. Whats the issue with the current sealed enclosure?

I had a thread here which pretty much sums it up: http://www.soundsolutionsaudio.com/forum/topic/62125-low-output-below-35-40hz-and-high-qts-in-a-ported-enclosure/

Basically, not enough output. And not enough low-end bass. Originally my enclosure was too small, I fixed that, but still doesn't seem to be as good as I expected. Which is why im interested in trying a ported box.

Would a recone be able to change it to low QTS, or is it part of the motor?

Also, is there any chance it could be the amp? I think I would see other problems or it just wouldn't work, but who knows.

Edited by ahl395

i would look at other options first.

• moving the enclosure around in the trunk. for example, move it all the way to rear of the trunk, firing towards the license plate.  
  • reset the gain
  • change xover points
  • eq the response (no boost. eq down the high end)
  • add polyfill if you haven't already
Edited by lithium

• moving the enclosure around in the trunk. for example, move it all the way to rear of the trunk, firing towards the license plate.  

- This is one thing I haven't done. Currently I have the sub facing forward with the back seats down. I'll have to get a grill to protect the woofer and try facing it                towards the rear.

• reset the gain

- This I've done a few times

• change xover points

- I usually go between 80hz and 100hz

- I have tried this, the amp unfortunately starts clipping though or it gets distorted before it reaches the output I'm looking for.

• add polyfill if you haven't already

- I do have polyfill in my current enclosure.

Thanks for your response. I'll try those couple things I haven't and see how it reacts.

Edited by ahl395

No, you can not recone the driver to a low Q model. The gap is machined wider on the high Q version.

What amp and what settings are you using?

If you go ported, you will probably have a lot of ripple in response and it probably won't sound too good...

Sorry for the big gap in response time. I've been quite busy recently and between jobs.

No, you can not recone the driver to a low Q model. The gap is machined wider on the high Q version.

What amp and what settings are you using?

Ah, I figured.

I am using a Hifonics Mt. Olympus Hercules 4K: http://www.hifonics.com/hifonics_mtolympus_amplifiers.html and http://www.sonicelectronix.com/item_32988_Hifonics-Hercules.html

X-Over set at 80-100Hz

Subsonic set at about 20hz

Boost is off

Gain has been set both by a DMM and by ear.

Try loading the sub against the back of the trunk

With my setup its hard to do that. I have my second battery and a board with all my amps on it behind the sub box at the back of the trunk. I'm not sure if I can swap the places without "remodeling" quite a bit of it. But I am going to try turning the sub around and facing it toward the rear at least.

If you go ported, you will probably have a lot of ripple in response and it probably won't sound too good...

Alright, I'll have to lose that idea :P

im going through the same prob,,,very disappointing overall output and have mechanical noise as well,,, im going to try a ported box,,with high qts option we will see ,,have it in a 1.4cube sealed and my 2 ctsounds meso 8s were louder,,, ill be following this thread,,,lots of excursion just very little output for a 12,,,, 

Edited by bigmk

mechanical noise tells me you're over driving the sub. my guess is a leaky enclosure? 

- This is one thing I haven't done. Currently I have the sub facing forward with the back seats down. I'll have to get a grill to protect the woofer and try facing it                towards the rear.
            - I have tried this, the amp unfortunately starts clipping though or it gets distorted before it reaches the output I'm looking for.
Forward firing with the seats down will not help your output.

More importantly you read the recommendation on EQ'ing COMPLETELY wrong. Notice where it says NO boost? If you start eq'ing and get clipping you didn't have before you are boosting. You need to eq down the annoyances, not boost what is lacking.

If both of those still net you not enough output, it is time to sell the woofer and buy one that is suited to your listening preferences.

*I really wish Fi had NOT named the woofer the Q. Gets people to buy it that would be better served by a different woofer since the pretext of SQ is something everyone "thinks" they want.

/rant

Hey guys, just for anyone searching in the future or anyone curious.

I contacted Fi directly and asked them if a High QTS Q12 could be used in a ported environment, the short answer is yes.

My Message:

Hi

I currently own a Q12 with high QTS.

I have posted on the forum but was wondering Fi's direct opinion on putting my Q12 in a ported enclosure. Would it still perform well with high QTS? And if so, should I go by the existing enclosure recommendations or should they.be

altered?

Thank you

Fi's Reply:

It'll work fine. The HQTS option just scrubs some motor strength that isn't needed in the sealed enclosure. The existing enclosure guidelines will still apply and work fine. Just keep in mind if you're going ported it's exceedingly important that you do not use any bass boost and you MUST have your subsonic filter set 2-3Hz below the port tuning frequency of the enclosure to keep the soft parts under control mechanically below tuning.

The subsonic filter simply acts like a brake for the soft parts on the sub below tuning of the port.