Sign in to follow this  
khinds94

Voltage problem?

I have a xp2000 in the back and when I bought it I put it in my car and it charged at 13.1 or 14.4 @ 2k rpm. A few days ago when I turned my car on my voltage was at 13.1 like it normally charges at but when I revved the engine it wouldnt charge to 14.4, it slowly then dropped by .1 around per day until I unhooked it because it got to around 12.2.

So I checked my connections and grounds and saw no problems. I then looked at the front battery and it was charging at 13.1 and 14.4, but the xp2000 in the back does not charge when its hooked up.

So I hooked it up to a charger overnight and it read about 14.4 in the morning and unhooked it, I then went to work and came back and it was back at 13.

I put it back in the car to see if it would charge by the alternator to 13.1/14.4 but it sat at 13.5 and continues to drop by .1 everyday.

I dont understand why the alt is not charging it. Am I suppose to charge the bat higher than 14.4 initially?

As far as your alternator charging the front and not the back, there must of been a loss in connection between them. Otherwise they would even out between the both of them.

As far as your alternator charging the front and not the back, there must of been a loss in connection between them. Otherwise they would even out between the both of them.

I thought the same thing so I disconnected the battery, brought it to the front. Hooked up jumper cables from the front bat to the xp. And still did not charge. When I put it on the charger it charges up. But it doesn't hold a charge in the car.

Weird

go have the battery tested

I know. There must be something I'm doing wrong. This battery is a week old.

Uhhh yea it was a blown fuse from front bat to rear...

Probably should have checked that first.

Charging at 14.4-14.5 now

Would have suggested to check that except you said that you brought the battery up front and hooked it to the front and got the same results.

Would have suggested to check that except you said that you brought the battery up front and hooked it to the front and got the same results.

Yea I think the reason why I didn't notice is because my idle voltage is 13.1 and that's what the battery was resting at. And I couldnt try charging it because I was up front and couldn't put my foot on the gas lmfao. Just thought it wasn't charging.

Whats going on man.  are you mixing your stock batt with a XP2000? if so, i think i have a solution for you lol.

Lol everything's working now...and I probably should get an agm up front lol. Voltage doesn't drop below 13.3 though full tilt.

I would be more concerned about why the fuse was blown.

250 amp fuse. Do you think I need another run of pos from front batt to back?

The fuse should be matched to the wire rating or just below it. What size wire are you running? That would answer if you need another run. I believe 1/0ga is good to 200 amps.

Your right it is 1/0 but it came with 250 amp fuses?