Sign in to follow this  
hdrox88

Wire Size Comparison

I thought this might make a worth while thread for anyone getting ready to buy wire/cable and wants to shop around. This isn't meant to do any bashing, it's just to let people know what they can expect when ordering some wire. If you care to add to the comparison, please have at least two varieties compared(don't just post a pic of some wire). List the Manufacturer, Size, and location of purchase.

From left to right...

1. Royal/Excelene 1/0 weldingsupply.com

2. ToughFlex 2/0 weldingsupply.com

3. SHCA 1/0 soundsolutionsaudio.com

20140801_145737_zpse6cca6c2.jpg

If you can whack a foot of each off and remove the jacket. Weigh each one then weigh say 50 strands of each so you can calculate strand count and wire gauge. From there you can calculate voltage drop.

Now I just need to pull a nice triple beam out of a hat.

Sky high is deff the best here lol. Always will use their wire

Just by eye, the sky high looks to have a much higher copper density as well. Certainly the best wire I have purchased thus far. The price is not bad either.

I believe that #3 in your picture is copper clad aluminium and the other two are solid copper. Thus the reason for the visual size difference.

I ordered ofc from the ssa store and that is what is on the jacket. I sure hope sky high isn't trying to pull a fast one.

I'd always vote for Electronbeam.com and purchase their 2/0. In my build, I use 3/0 which is 2.40 a foot.

EB-flex 2/0 is actually on sale for $1.92/foot right now, fairly tempting as I am shopping around. How does it's size and copper density compare to any of the others I have shown here? Or compare to the 1/0 inputs of toolmaker battery terminals?