Syphlyn

Did I make the right choice? Sundown X12 vs Zv4

Hey guys,

I have a SAZ-2000D with the X12 I just ordered going in my 2.5 cubic foot box @ 32 hz. I ordered the X12 Dual 2 ohm woofer, but now I'm having thoughts that I should've maybe ordered the Zv4. My fear is that 2k is too much for the X12. Some people mentioned that 2k for a Zv4 is low. I have no plans to upgrade in the near future, I'd like to stick with 2k. It's my daily driver so the sub will see 30 min to 1 hour of play at a time.

So did I make the right choice? Will the X12 do fine with that amp? As far as I'm aware the only difference between the two is power handling.

Thanks,

Dylan

Edited by Syphlyn

It depends the person setting it up and the one in control of the volume knob. You could blow up the Z on that amp if you didn't know what you were doing. If you pay attention to what you are doing you shouldn't have much issue. HelI, I consider myself a novice and I had a 600rms sub wired to 2 ohms on a brz2400.1d and never had any problems.

It depends the person setting it up and the one in control of the volume knob. You could blow up the Z on that amp if you didn't know what you were doing. If you pay attention to what you are doing you shouldn't have much issue. HelI, I consider myself a novice and I had a 600rms sub wired to 2 ohms on a brz2400.1d and never had any problems.

I'd consider myself to know what I'm doing. Hell my type Rs and MRP-M1000 were 6 years old and still going strong.

Edit: Even though I know it's not popular on here I have an SMD-DD1. I use it to find the point and set my gain. I have a PAC-LC1 to manually adjust the signal/gain to each song by ear. I'm aware that a 40hz tone won't apply to listening to music, which is why I use the PAC-LC1 to "fine tune" on each song to avoid clipping.

Edited by Syphlyn

I blew up an xcon on the amp mentioned before by trusting a DD1. Maybe I didn't know what I was doing, just saying.

All the DD-1 will do is fuck your stuff up. It has ZERO value for anything....well okay, perhaps for a paperweight. It is seriously a terrible idea to use.

The number of blown drivers that are set with a DD-1 is a WAY higher percentage than ones set ANY other way.

More confusion in your first post too.

Some people mentioned that 2k for a Zv4 is low.

Then those people are idiots. No such thing as underpowering.

The way you've asked the question would tend to have me recommend the Z for you. Either will be fine however.

Perfect choice for that X. My brother has 2 x18's on a BC2000 at .5 ohm and they hardly move. He needs a second one to see the potential of them.

All the DD-1 will do is fuck your stuff up. It has ZERO value for anything....well okay, perhaps for a paperweight. It is seriously a terrible idea to use.

The number of blown drivers that are set with a DD-1 is a WAY higher percentage than ones set ANY other way.

The way you've asked the question would tend to have me recommend the Z for you. Either will be fine however.

I ordered the X12 already, supposed to be here Monday. Unless it's absolutely dire that I get  Zv4 I'm guessing the X12 will do what I want it to at 2k rms. Also there will probably be some box rise so chances are it won't be seeing the full 2k. Maybe around 1700 considering the 2000d was clamped at 2400w @ 12.5v.

I ordered the X12 already, supposed to be here Monday. Unless it's absolutely dire that I get  Zv4 I'm guessing the X12 will do what I want it to at 2k rms. Also there will probably be some box rise so chances are it won't be seeing the full 2k. Maybe around 1700 considering the 2000d was clamped at 2400w @ 12.5v.

You're reading WAY too much into the numbers.  If you were trying to fit to some specific limitations for a competition class you might have to worry this much, but for daily it's just not necessary.  The 2k may be a bit much so just watch  it with the gain setting and volume knob.  Listen/smell for stress from the sub and you should be just fine.  

You're reading WAY too much into the numbers.  If you were trying to fit to some specific limitations for a competition class you might have to worry this much, but for daily it's just not necessary.  The 2k may be a bit much so just watch  it with the gain setting and volume knob.  Listen/smell for stress from the sub and you should be just fine.  

So would you recommend the Zv4? I just don't want to run into issues with the X12 if I'm pushing it. If the Zv4 is a better fit I'll try to get one instead...

Edited by Syphlyn

You can't hear the difference between 1500w and 2000w so STOP going on "numbers"

You can't hear the difference between 1500w and 2000w so STOP going on "numbers"

Not so much about the numbers as it is about trying to avoid cooking the X12. I want my $400 sub to last.

Not so much about the numbers as it is about trying to avoid cooking the X12. I want my $400 sub to last.

Did you read what I just wrote? I don't care if your amp does 10,000w you don't have to set it there. Since you can't audibly hear a difference why would you submit the driver to it?

Clamp tests are meaningless.

There is no such thing as "box rise". Speaker systems have an impedance curve.

You are fine with the sub you ordered as long as you intelligently set the system adjustments.

I think I've decided to try and get myself a Zv4. Price isn't an issue and if in the future I decide to go bigger I'll have the sub for it and maybe add another Zv4 and a big amp.

Hopefully SSA will help me get it sorted it.

We'll see.

I have 2 X12's on a Crescendo BC5500D, as long as everything is used intelligently you will be fine.