2005 tahoe running

2 runs of 1/0 cca and

3 batts juicebox black cherry, apple, and crescendo logic 31

Order a 270 amp 6 phase power coated red

So I went ahead and order a stinger alt and was wondering a few things being the fact that I never had a beefed up alt before...would that be a problem running my stock and a stinger alt if not do I need extra part to do that.

Do I have to run to different lines from the alt to the batts or can I just do alt to alt to batts...if so do I have to run the stinger alt first than the stock ???

Edited by antoinez28

2005 tahoe running

2 runs of 1/0 cca and

So I went ahead and order a stinger alt and was wondering a few things being the fact that I never had a beefed up alt before...would that be a problem running my stock and a stinger alt if not do I need extra part to do that.

Do I have to run to different lines from the alt to the batts or can I just do alt to alt to batts...if so do I have to run the stinger alt first than the stock ???

I've heard multiple times that the amperage of the 2 doesn't matter, but it can be an issue if they both charge at 2 different voltages. I'd say isolate the factory alt to the truck along with mids/highs and dedicate the HO alt to the battery bank in the back. Just my opinion if you aren't sure if they match voltages.

FWIW, some alts do 14.2, 14.4, 14.8, etc

Edited by nadcicle

2005 tahoe running

2 runs of 1/0 cca and

I've heard multiple times that the amperage of the 2 doesn't matter, but it can be an issue if they both charge at 2 different voltages. I'd say isolate the factory alt to the truck along with mids/highs and dedicate the HO alt to the battery bank in the back. Just my opinion if you aren't sure if they match voltages.

FWIW, some alts do 14.2, 14.4, 14.8, etc

As long as they are the same chemistry (agm) you are fine.

I I would need a pigtail for both of them....if I buy a voltage regulator would that help too

I I would need a pigtail for both of them....if I buy a voltage regulator would that help too

If they are internally regulated to begin with no. You would have to change them to be externally regulated. XS and Mechman make these "voltage trick" modules that make the alt think they are seeing less voltage than they are putting out and increase output voltage accordingly. Once again this can cause issues if they are originally not set to the same output voltage to begin with because you'd be increasing voltage between the 2 as follows. If alt A starts at 14.2 and alt B starts at 14.8 and you increase the voltage of alt A to 15 then alt B will be increased to 15.6. Voltage will never correlate to more amperage in this case anyways. I think you're on the right track of more amperage to begin with. Holding voltage is the better focus here in this case.

So can I tell him that my factory alt sits at 14.4

isolator only works when the charging system is   off ( when vehicle is not running)

If retaining your factory alt and adding an alt, you need a self-exciting regulator on the new alt.  You will not have any issues.  As has been stated, just run the truck and all it's electrical off the stock alt and battery, and your bank off the other alt.

No battery bank all batts are in the engine bay...no room for a battery bank or I will have to change my Midwestspl class

So I have both alts hook up 1 factory and one stinger 270 phase6 and my factory alt is getting really hot...do I need to loosen the belt or is it something else

So I have both alts hook up 1 factory and one stinger 270 phase6 and my factory alt is getting really hot...do I need to loosen the belt or is it something else

Describe "really hot"?

You are comparing 2 completely different technologies here. Your 6 phase is designed to dissipate heat much better than a traditional coil wrapped alternator. 

Is your factory alt still in the big system loop? If so is the path to the system the same or shorter in length than the aftermarket alt?

Best way to test is to disconnect the singer and hit the factory alt with a laser thermometer and measure it then hook it back up and do the same. 

I can still cook eggs on my 6 phase no problem just at idle.

Yeah man anytime you post and need help troubleshooting, try to provide as much info as possible instead of just one sentence saying my alt gets hot. Let us know what upgrades or changes you have done so we can better asses the situation.

Edited by jay-cee

Well my stinger is not hookup yet just on the bracket. Waiting on some wires before i make the stinger alt to the battery bank and factory to all my truck stuff...but i guess it was me over thinking things again...when i but the bracket on i did not know if the belt needs to be real tight or not...long story short i was playing my music at a level where my voltage would drop 1 or 2 volts at idle and it did not it was resting at 15.2 and once i turn my music off it went all the way to 15.6 so i thought something was wrong with my factory alt so i felt it a man that thing was hot. So being the fact that it was my first time installing a dual alt bracket i thought that the bracket was makeing my factory alt charger at a higher level by the belt being tighter than it was...so i jump on the forum and said what i said without doing a little research first...my bad but alt is good nothing was wroung i keep forgetting that gm 2000-07 charges off the cold weather thats why it was so high...

That voltage sounds high for a stock alternator. Maybe the regulator is getting ready to go out? I'm not sure how long the engine was running, but if the engine was "hot" then your alt(bolted to the engine) will be "hot".

Try to see what battery bank to go with...I would be running two stinger 270 phase 6 alts to the bank with 2/0 OFC SHCA or 2/0 welding cable

Amps would be two taramps 8k or 2 sundown scv-4000

Battery would be 6 juicebox black cherry two under the hood 4 in the back

Or

2 juicebox black cherry up front and two odyssey pt 1800 in the rear

Both are around the same amp hour and price only thing is the odyssey would be used

I wouldn't use a "used" battery for anything and sure as hell wouldn't use one for an application like this one.  I've also not had any luck with Odyssey batteries either, but that's not necessarily completely the brand's fault.  I don't think the place I bought them from sold them to me in the condition they claimed them to be in.

Brand aside, for an application like this I wouldn't trust a used battery, plain and simple, but that's just me.

I wouldn't use a "used" battery for anything and sure as hell wouldn't use one for an application like this one. I've also not had any luck with Odyssey batteries either, but that's not necessarily completely the brand's fault. I don't think the place I bought them from sold them to me in the condition they claimed them to be in.

Brand aside, for an application like this I wouldn't trust a used battery, plain and simple, but that's just me.

Yeah I was looking at juicebox batts any way guess I but a couple on hold than thanks Alton did you get my pm about changeable ports

Yep....   been on call though so not much free time to delve into the numbers yet....  Maybe this weekend after the show....

Yeah I hope you have a good time at the show

Used is relative, the batteries have only been used in vehicle for 4 months and they offer a 3 year no questions asked warranty. The pc1800s are incredibly strong batteries, in my testing they are just as strong as four diehard platinums. Plus the overall depth of the batteries is very shallow which is good for a behind the seat box. Pound for pound the best batteries for the application imo