rayfrausto

help deciding

Hi you guys I don't no if this is in the right section or not. But I have a deliman right now and I keep picking my brain over and keep changing my mind. Ive never built a system from the ground up but now I'm getting real into the bass addiction. Currently have 2 12" cvr and kicker 750 amp. I want more!. I have a 02 trailblazer and I'm starting from the ground up. I just bought and installed an pioneer avh-x4600bt(love it). I got 1/0 gauge and did big 3. Part of my plans for my system is to do all 1/0 runs, get h/o, xs power 3400 up front, 1 or 2 xs3100 in back(depending on what power I'm running). Now thus is where my dilemma comes into play I don't no what subwoofers to choose. So maybe I can get guidence.

I did alot of researching on forums and Internet. I think I have narrowed it down to 1 18 zv3 or 1 18" xcon? Here are some goals, this is my daily driver and I plan to just want a daily ground pounder. I only listen to rap all kinds of it from new main stream to older rap, gangster rap ect... I just want something that pounds loud and dosent sound like shit. Bunch of my friends have kicker subs or alpine type r and I just want different while out doing them. I don't no if I need supper lows for the music I listen too. I no xcon is built more for sq. What is the difference between the two drivers? Would there be any other drivers that fit my needs? I'm picking 1 18" because of price difference its a lot cheaper then two subs. Or should I get 1 15" and add 1 15" later? I hear there's nit a lot of difference musically, that more cone area would be more towards metered? I'm just looking for some guidence as I'm very new to this. So any ideas on the two subs mentioned or any others that would fit my music style and goals?

First off, what enclosure do you have now? Instead of spending unnecessary money you may be able to fix the current install.

The enclosure is some shitty prefab, I got it given to me from my cousin while back. It was his old setup. I better it would sound much better in a properly built enclose for them. But I kind of want a different system and non mainstream. Mist my friends have kicker or type r and my cousin has 2 l7 in a proper box and it hits good. But I read so much good about a lot of these non mainstream subs and I wanna build my own

I can't speak for the Z, but you certainly can't go wrong with the xcon in a daily setup. I have a single xcon 15 on 1700 watts in my tahoe and I have all sorts of stuff moving around. I can get my steering wheel and side mirror housings moving a little bit from time to time with the right frequencies. As fun as it is, I am looking for more cone area myself. Gotta love the bass bug!

Haha Yah have to love the bass. So the xcon does get loud? I am looking for spl first I just don't want it to sound like ass doing it. I think though any one of these subs would sound good and levels ahead the cvrs. So I'm sure I wont be disappointed in the sound quality. One thing I am liking about the z is the box size it can go in. Does anyone no what the zv3 was built for? Like is it a spl type sub? One thing I like about xcons is the American made(I would assume it would have better build quality, but just an assumption?)

If you're on a "regular" budget, you may not need so much batteries and a HO alt.  That is a lot of money.

A single 18" ? why not ? Trailblazers have huge cargo area, you could do whatever you want.

You're coming from 2 12"s on 750 watts, so 1500-2000 w on a serious 18" would be a big improvement.

Keep searching ! Good luck !

BTW : I love my single 15" Zcon ;-)

My first subs were 2 12" cvrs and compared to my Fi Q there is really no comparison. Its leaps and bounds ahead of kicker

A 18" xcon can get very loud in the proper enclouser.

Well thank you guys I guess I cant go wrong with rather choice. As stated above what I'm looking into is a great improvement from what I have. And about the power upgrades I'm sure I would probably not need all those batteries maybe not even the h/o alternator. But these are add on items that will come. Cause I'm a strong believer in do it right and once so I figure its over kill and its room for improvement if I ever wanna up power and subs. And I want to also go 1 18" for the price different when I was pricing things out it saves a nice chunk, but also for the wow factor and being different. Fir the xcon 18" would u want like 7" cubed. Box is that net or gross. Whatever sub I choose I will pay for a correctly specd box. I'm nit going to make one for lack of experience but ill look for somone with a good Rep to build it

I believe the xcon go be in either a sealed or ported box.

I heard two 18" xcons on a 3500 rms amp in a durango. I couldn't stay in the suv because it hurt my ears so bad.

In a ported box.

Edited by pmureika

That sounds good guys cause I was kind of leaning twards the ssa driver because of all the comments ive seen how good musically they are. Nice to hear they get loud too.

Another quick question what's the difference between zcon and xcon? Is it just xcon can take more power? Will box size be similar?

Another quick question what's the difference between zcon and xcon? Is it just xcon can take more power? Will box size be similar?

The zcon takes more power than the xcon, subs are designed for two different applications.

The zcon takes more power than the xcon, subs are designed for two different applications.

What are the two different application they are designed for? I'm pretty new at this but I'm trying to learn

First off is the hierarchy:

DCON - Rated for 400wrms

GCON - Rated for 750wrms

ICON - Rated for 1250wrms

XCON - Rated for 1750wrms

ZCON - Rated for 2250wrms

EVIL - Rated for 3250wrms

Anyone feel free to correct me if I'm wrong here but here's my understanding of the lineup.

The Evil is the only one that's really designed to be an SPL sub.  The ZCON is more SPL oriented than the rest but is still designed to sound good.  The XCON is designed to be the ultimate best of both worlds driver being equally at home giving gobs of output and sounding fantastic doing it.  The ICON is the original sub designed to be an all around performer.  The GCON is also designed to perform all duties well but with power levels and price oriented to more modest setups.  The DCON, perhaps the most overlooked driver by far, priced and power rated for more budget minded setups can astound with it's output and SQ capabilities.

I've personally used/experienced the DCON, ICON and XCON.  The DCON is my favorite mainly because its capabilities far exceed people's perception of what a low power driver can do, especially at it's price point.  The ICON is easily capable of vision blurring, speech slurring output without sacrificing an ounce of quality.  The XCON is like being at ground zero the way it's output can be heard and felt with every nuance of the destruction easily discernible.

At least, that's my opinion on the different lines. 

Thank you alton I think I made up my mind to try out the xcons seems like a lot of people say the output wont dissapoint. Do you guys think that 2 15" xcons compaired to one 18" xcon would be a difference musically? I'm gonna be feeding the xcon around 2100 rms. Although I dont think I would have proper space to do 2 15" correctly.

All things equal there wouldn't be a difference between them musically.  However, since you stated you're afraid that you don't have the space to do a pair of 15's correctly then DO NOT do the 15's.  There's no reason to buy them if you can't properly use them.  Either go with a single 15 or the single 18.

Optimal space is WAY better than shoehorning better or more drivers in ALWAYS. My boat has a 15" Xcon and it wangs.

The Evil is the only one that's really designed to be an SPL sub.  The ZCON is more SPL oriented than the rest but is still designed to sound good.  The XCON is designed to be the ultimate best of both worlds driver being equally at home giving gobs of output and sounding fantastic doing it.

Hmm, I was under the impression that the zcon was the pure spl sub and the evil was the sound good with very high output choice. Maybe I missed something?

So I took a quick mesurment of cargo area I'm gonna do a better more accurate one but for now I'm working with 24"H x 35"W x 15" Dept. Will that fit a 18"?

That's only 5.88 cuft. gross.  Not big enough from the get go for the 18" XCON, but it's just about doable for the 15".

EDIT:  You could get the 15" in the optimal ported enclosure with 67.5 sqin (5" wide x 13.5" tall port) of port area tuned to 32hz in those dimensions.  Just for a quickly calculated reference.

So I took a quick mesurment of cargo area I'm gonna do a better more accurate one but for now I'm working with 24"H x 35"W x 15" Dept. Will that fit a 18"?

I figured there would be way more depth to be had,unless your trying to save cargo space of course.With that being said this is one of the first things to figure out before choosing a driver!

Edited by garychurch84

How do you calculate that to cubic ft? Wouldent you turn those mesuements into feet then multiply those numbers? I thought I seen builds in trailblazers where they putting 7'^3 in them. I AM A do some more researching and measuring. This why I'm gonna pay for a quality box due to my inexperience. But if it turns out I cant fit the 18 I am going to go with whatever can fit properly. If I had to do 1 15" I might just look into 2 12". But ill find out never new how hard it is to set up a proper system.

What would be guestiment measurement for a 7^3 box?

width x height x depth /1728 = gross cu ft

Just leave them in inches

Edited by garychurch84