EddieC

Optima Red or Yellow Top for under hood

Found out today that Pep Boys has 25% off online orders plus Optima has a $20 mail in rebate right now. That puts these in the $140 price range. I already have a Diehard Platinum Group 31M for the rear. Just wondering which of these 2 are best for my usage. There are mixed reviews on Google search regarding this in an audio application. I really don't plan on playing a lot with the car off, which makes it seem the Red Top would be best. Am I correct?

Since you have a dedicated rear battery for the system i would say the Red Top but you can't go wrong either way.

yellowtop  forsure

Since you have a dedicated rear battery for the system i would say the Red Top but you can't go wrong either way.

Which would you do? Red Top seems to be the best for starting purposes, but here in NC we don't see a lot of extremely cold temps so would the Yellow be the better option since it has the greater reserve hours?

Red only because yellow under the hood looks gay!

Red only because yellow under the hood looks gay!

LOL. Well there's a reason I hadn't read yet!

Which would you do? Red Top seems to be the best for starting purposes, but here in NC we don't see a lot of extremely cold temps so would the Yellow be the better option since it has the greater reserve hours?

I ran a Red Top under the hood and Batcap 800 in the rear for years with no issues awhile back.

I ran a Red Top under the hood and Batcap 800 in the rear for years with no issues awhile back.
Sounds good to me. My alt is on its way and the front battery is the last piece of the electrical to get. Looks like a busy weekend in store. Thanks again man! You've been a great help throughout all my posts. I really appreciate it!

I ran two red tops under the hood of my other truck with XS in the rear and worked great

I ran two red tops under the hood of my other truck with XS in the rear and worked great

Sounds good to me. A lot of strong reviews out for the Red Tops, much more so than the Die Hard Platinum 34s. It does say I'll need a height adapter, but I'm modding the terminal/fuse block anyways so that won't be an issue. Thanks for the input, and congrats on the state finals!

I prefer the Die Hards over the Optimas. But for 140 bucks you will be saving money. 

Go grab another platinum instead

I prefer the Die Hards over the Optimas. But for 140 bucks you will be saving money. 

I was actually going to get a Platinum when I bought the 31M last weekend but no stores had them in stock. When looking online I noticed that the 34 model in particular had some pretty bad reviews. Plus it's a little on the long side so I'm not sure I can wedge it in there. My car actually calls for a Group 25. Just trying to get the biggest I can fit in there. These Optimas are looking pretty good for the application, other than modding the positive terminal....which has to be done anyways.

I have ran a few pairs of Optima redtop 34's. I was always disappointed with their short life span. (less than 3 years) Replaced them once and had the same results. Was in a dual setup with HO alt. 

ALL the local stores quit carrying them about 5 years ago here, when Optima changed their warranty policy.

If your still set on buying one and the deal falls through at Pep Boys, this is a great site with free shipping. http://www.1st-wholesale-batteries.com/

I am going on 5 years with my XS Power 3400 and is still doing great. So for me the extra cost up front was worth it.

And personally if it was my ride, I would buy the matching brand for the front. The battery's will work more in harmony with matching plate designs.

In my boat I didn't even get 2 years out of them. Wally world Everstarts lasted longer. Optimas are junk.

I have ran a few pairs of Optima redtop 34's. I was always disappointed with their short life span. (less than 3 years) Replaced them once and had the same results. Was in a dual setup with HO alt. 

ALL the local stores quit carrying them about 5 years ago here, when Optima changed their warranty policy.

If your still set on buying one and the deal falls through at Pep Boys, this is a great site with free shipping. http://www.1st-wholesale-batteries.com/

I am going on 5 years with my XS Power 3400 and is still doing great. So for me the extra cost up front was worth it.

And personally if it was my ride, I would buy the matching brand for the front. The battery's will work more in harmony with matching plate designs.

In my boat I didn't even get 2 years out of them. Wally world Everstarts lasted longer. Optimas are junk.

That did seem to keep popping up in my Google searches. Most complaints were from the Yellow Tops though, and seemed to come from improper charging. Guess I'll look for a deal on a D3400 or just grab the Platinum since it has a 4 year warranty anyways.

No improper charging here. I've owned 8 Optimas about half of each color. All have failed ridiculously early. I paid about what your "deal" is on a Platinum not so long ago, just have to watch for a sale.

No improper charging here. I've owned 8 Optimas about half of each color. All have failed ridiculously early. I paid about what your "deal" is on a Platinum not so long ago, just have to watch for a sale.

I may just do that. Still waiting on my Ethos so I still have a few weeks to hold off for a sale. Sucks that after paying 10% off the 31M Saturday they put them on sale for 20% off on Monday. The Sears website has 20% off Die Hard batteries right now, but for some reason the Platinum car batteries aren't included..... go figure.

They show 20% off when I look. Just not in stores, only online usually. Can do a free pickup in store.

i just picked up a die hard plat for under hood few weeks ago.. got it at sears.. i dont have any amps hooked up yet tho still waiting on my box for my ethos and the ethos to come in :) then i can begin the install.. got the big 3 and got my H/O alternator installed so far

I may just do that. Still waiting on my Ethos so I still have a few weeks to hold off for a sale. Sucks that after paying 10% off the 31M Saturday they put them on sale for 20% off on Monday. The Sears website has 20% off Die Hard batteries right now, but for some reason the Platinum car batteries aren't included..... go figure.

Have you tried batteries plus. They have Odessey batteries made by the same people as sears.

Get the blue marine if your getting Platinums. They come with the extra stud mounts on top making adding accessories and extra power wire easy. They only sell the g34's and g31's in the blue marine series. 

They show 20% off when I look. Just not in stores, only online usually. Can do a free pickup in store.

It says 20% off Die Hard batteries, but if you'll notice all the batteries except the Platinum car batteries are showing the markdown and sale price. The marine Platinum batteries are marked down, just not car batts. Don't understand that one.

Have you tried batteries plus. They have Odessey batteries made by the same people as sears.

No but I looked at their online site and all I see are Duracells there.

Get the blue marine if your getting Platinums. They come with the extra stud mounts on top making adding accessories and extra power wire easy. They only sell the g34's and g31's in the blue marine series. 

Already bought the Platinum marine Group 31 last weekend. Just looking for under the hood now.

Another vote for the DIe Hard Platinums here.  I have the 34 under the hood and 31 in trunk.  As long as I'm on the highway around 2k rpm, my voltage never drops below 14.0 with a BC5500 running full tilt.