SWEEEEET!

Looks like I'm going to be upgrading chips toward the end of the year...

Expected Core2 Duo prices:

X6800 - $999

E6700 - $530

E6600 - $316 (About equal to FX-62 performance)

E6400 - $224 (About equal to Athlon64 X2 5000+ performance)

E6300 - $183 (About equal to Athlon64 X2 4400+ performance)

Wow after 3 years they finally discontinued my chip, the 3000 is no longer going to be sold. Perhaps its time to sell it off and go newer.

Expected Core2 Duo prices:

X6800 - $999

E6700 - $530

E6600 - $316 (About equal to FX-62 performance)

E6400 - $224 (About equal to Athlon64 X2 5000+ performance)

E6300 - $183 (About equal to Athlon64 X2 4400+ performance)

These are before overclocking. Stock cooling, idiot friendly overclocking utilities, and a good motherboard can get 50% more out of even the entry level E6300, raising it two tiers against AMD (IE, making it comparable to the FX-60).

I've been keeping track of this forever. Been planning a new PC for months. The price changes for AMD have taken effect and the Conroe is out now, but stocks are in short supply. I was going to go with AMD on this, but they discontinued my processor of choice (The 4800 with 2x1mb l2) and didn't drop the price of the 5000 enough to make it worth my while. *shrugs*

///M5: Don't feel bad, they discontinued my Socket A AXP 2500 a long time ago. Still does it's job, though.

Tom's Hardware

AMD already announced that it will be reacting to Core 2 Duo - however there will not be a faster processor for now: AMD intends to drop the prices of its processors in order to maintain its price/performance leadership. And while the competition between AMD and Intel will be heating up over the next months and both firms will be busy making each other's lifes miserable, consumers will be benefitting from a time of true innovation. We can't wait for AMD to counter Intel's Core 2 Duo.