Sign in to follow this  
CBFryman

Mach 5 6.5" Testing Results

First off I would like to thank Mark for allowing me to test these at no cost to me.

Ok Here it goes.

Initial Impression:

When I got off of work and walked around to my front door I saw a box that vaguely resembled an extremely used soccer ball. It was brown and taped up and kind of rounded at the corners. I quickly tore into it and got a peek at these things. I can tell you these are built to the highest of quality. No glue on the surrounds, the surround fits perfectly in the sunken surround landing. The bead of glue on the spider was even all the way around. They just looked high quality. Not fancy high quality like a Ferrari, high quality like a cleanly built RX-7 (not referring to them breaking all of the time because I

Holy crap! Those took a real pounding. Thanks for taking a snap of them Chris, it appears I will have to do something about that.

Looking forward to reading your review - good or bad!

Best,

Mark

Drop In Testing Restults & In Room SPL Levels Tomarrow.

:fing34:

j/k

i wonder how those would sound in my door?

although i would need some tweeters as well

I dropped them in aginst my JBL's and let me tell you, things are looking up. ;)

Once I get my IS2080 back from Flakko I'll do them IB in the doors. In the mean time I am going todo some "anecho" IB testing and some free air impeadance curves from 50-5kHz.

:noob::ttiwwop:

edit, well more pics anyway

Comming to you tomarrow, the gasket on the JBL's is funky and I cant get it to seal in one place. It's pissing me off, it makes a hissing noise at high volume and I know they arent getting as loud as they can.

Comming to you tomarrow, the gasket on the JBL's is funky and I cant get it to seal in one place. It's pissing me off, it makes a hissing noise at high volume and I know they arent getting as loud as they can.

Silicon caulking, duct tape, etc.

I dropped them in aginst my JBL's and let me tell you, things are looking up. ;)

Once I get my IS2080 back from Flakko I'll do them IB in the doors. In the mean time I am going todo some "anecho" IB testing and some free air impeadance curves from 50-5kHz.

what are you using for test gear?

PE 240w amp for power tap, 4'x8' wind screen and a C-Weighted Cheap dB meter. Not the best in the world.

I apologise for my lateness in posting my test results. I havent had time to type them and with my truck brakeing they will be delayed a few days.

OK, well the tests agianst the JBL's proved worthless. The JBL's are 8ohm. The crossover made some funky things happen. Holes in the sound and what not.

I am doing free air impeadance testing right now. I am using WinISD for a frequincy generator. It seems ot have light lead slap once I get it to move to full potential (with the given 10w amp I can only do that round 20Hz). I should have an impeadance graph by the end of today. Im doing 50-2000Hz in 5Hz incraments...im at 200Hz...joy.

Picture326-1.jpg

Resistance of the coils Pre Correction (0.4ohm)

Picture327-1.jpg

Soldering up the known load

Picture328-1.jpg

Testing on the desk.

Still no impeadance graph. I am really terribly sorry guys. I came down with a stomach virus.

I promise by the end of this week I'll have it up. :)

OK, well I got lazy and got tired of doing the impeadance graph, I'll pick that up next week.

INSTEAD!

I did something even more funner! I grabbed my dad's cheapo Pyle amp, hooked it up and put these in 0.75cuft enclosures, disconnected the woofers inside the JBL's and placed the enclosures for the mids on the floor with the pyle only running them to 2,000Hz.

I have to say these things do damn decent. They sounded nice and clear as far as clear midbass goes. Reletively loud as well. They didnt extend as low as I would like them to but the enclosure was proably way too large.

Some noteable cons where beats in the 100Hz range where less intense. Not really noticable in anything but monotone rap beats but it was there.

All in all, SQ wise, so far, these can not be beat for $16. Very compareable to my JBL's and these are sealed in chitty (ghettofied) enclosures where as the JBL's are in nice, ported enclosures to reenforce the low end.

I'll get some pics this afternoon. If not saturday evening. I'm going out of town tonight and for most of tomarrow. :)