Sign in to follow this  
Justin3000

Diy Components

yes Scott please let us know if/how they compare with the alpines, My Mli-65's will be here on Wednesday April the 11th and I will have all next weekend to write up a full review of my thoughts and crossover points and also point out which tweeters where used for my tests. I will be using these in my car with the Seas Neo fabric tweeter but though I will review with other tweets as well..

Justin

I've actually got 2 pairs of MLI-65's on order myself, one pair for myself, and another pair for the rear deck of my friends 98 accord sedan.

I'm mainly after bass performance in both applications, but if they're good enough, another pair might find a way to replace the Vifa P17's currently in my front doors :)

I messed up, and only ordered one MLI, so the review will have to wait a while now, since I will not be able to listen to them until the end of the month/beginning of may.

No problem, I will have my review up in about a week or 2, mark suggested that I let the suspension wear in a little before I do it.. I will keep everyone updated while the Mli's wear in.. They will be here for sure on Wednesday the 11th..

Thanks

Justin

i'm curious to see how you like them. i plan on buying a pair or two :)

No problem, I will have my review up in about a week or 2, mark suggested that I let the suspension wear in a little before I do it.. I will keep everyone updated while the Mli's wear in.. They will be here for sure on Wednesday the 11th..

Thanks

Justin

Hey Justin, I thought you go opt to have Mach5 provide you the "break in" before delivery. I had that performed by Mark et. co. before I got delivery. I wonder if that's the same thing as "wear in"? My thinking it is unless the sub has to get used to the power you're feeding it through your amp?...A q. for Mark I guess.

Michael

Ya break-in and wear-in are the samething, but I forgot to ask Mark to wear them in before he shipped them out, so I have to do it myself..

I'll put everyone's mind at ease.

They sound good. :P

mid-towers.jpg

Holy $hit Mark, talk about a major setup you have there. I know these are gonna sound nice I have that gut feeling I will give them a week to break-in then I will do my full review, I will crossover at mutiple points and if you would like I can also do a review on the Maw-10?

Thanks again Mark

Justin

So that's why you carry the Hi-Vi's Mark ;)

Do tell more Mark, how's the sound? what's the crossover like?

If the house we buy ends up having two rooms separated by pillars, I might have to copy you on those.

Holy $hit Mark, talk about a major setup you have there. I know these are gonna sound nice I have that gut feeling I will give them a week to break-in then I will do my full review, I will crossover at mutiple points and if you would like I can also do a review on the Maw-10?

Thanks again Mark

Justin

Do it...

So that's why you carry the Hi-Vi's Mark ;)

Do tell more Mark, how's the sound? what's the crossover like?

I just got them together so I'm still fiddling with it. I'm using a DCX but will build a passive version when I get time to do so. Right now its ~2.4khz 18db/oct. The HiVi's sound sweet, detailed and airy - just like a ribbon should.

If the house we buy ends up having two rooms separated by pillars, I might have to copy you on those.

Do it even if you don't have pillars...

Best,

Mark

Wow on those towers.

I just got them together so I'm still fiddling with it. I'm using a DCX but will build a passive version when I get time to do so. Right now its ~2.4khz 18db/oct. The HiVi's sound sweet, detailed and airy - just like a ribbon should.

Good stuff Mark. They look great! I can't wait to hear them. How come not 4th order XO? Since you have them setup with the DCX can push the XO higher around where I am trying to go? I wonder if I am try to cross too high. How does the CEO like them?

Cheers,

Gio.

She likes them actually. They blend in well and aren't an eyesore when you walk in. We talked about getting a coloured grille cloth for them but now see says no, saying she likes the look of the ribbons.

I'll swap out that tweeter like we talked about and let you know the result.

Update: Well the Mli's came in and I have been running some songs and tones on them to loosen the suspension, which is turning out great and I will have a full review in the next few days..

Okay well for build, All I can say is only crap are these things built? They are really massive and have some weight to them (I will try getting my camera fixed for some pictures of them). So far they have really great bass output and I haven't heard any real distortion but I havn't cranked them yet so it's hard to tell what will happen and if anything will change..

I will have a full review soon.

A thank you to Mark ( great product and build)

Thanks

Justin

My little brother installed them into his truck, but I have not yet heard/tested.

As promised,,, review is up in the review section..

A Thank you to Mark for letting me test out these drivers..

Justin, did you play with the xover frequencies on the MLI at all?

Mark, yes I did. I played with the crossover at different freq ranges from 60HZ-4KHZ and I will now type out all of my jot point..

60-80: Very deep bass responds for a 6-1/2 driver, This driver goes really deep in bass I could recommend this for a computer bass speaker and can also be used in a 3way system either in car or home..

80-200: Still really great midbass at this crossover point, nice and powerful bass in this range as well as great imaging. I really like this point the most and this is where I currently run at: 80HZ highpass.

200-500HZ: This speaker still liked this crossover point, I think it liked it better then at 80HZ but that is personal preference. Nice midrange but missing some of the bass that I like the most from this driver. Still great imaging none the less.

500-1500HZ: Nice midrange and great imaging lacking in the bass but at this crossover point I would this driver as a midrange instead of the midbass, I have found no peaks at all yet..

1500-2500HZ: Again nice imagine and great midrange, still no peaks up to this point even on bass heavy songs and jazz. Almost seems as if this driver doesn