Sign in to follow this  
meade916

2 BTL 12" - Box build pics

I figured this would be a good place to post up these pics.....started up a box for one of the members of my forum. Im about halfway thru so i figured id drop a few pics. Its still rough but i have a bunch of fiberglassing and 45in' the corners to do. Ill do the resin-self-level trick of course.

DSC08569.jpg

DSC08570.jpg

DSC08571.jpg

DSC08572.jpg

DSC08573.jpg

DSC08575.jpg

DSC08576.jpg

DSC08578.jpg

He requested a double baffle for the subs and i was happy to accomadate.

DSC08580.jpg

DSC08582.jpg

DSC08583.jpg

DSC08584.jpg

DSC08585.jpg

DSC08587.jpg

Time to bend up the port.....put a little flare on it. It will make sense in a minute.

DSC08588.jpg

DSC08590.jpg

DSC08591.jpg

DSC08597.jpg

DSC08600.jpg

DSC08604.jpg

DSC08605.jpg

Tonites progress. My buddy Jeff took the pics and he was poundin beers with me so they are sorta "action" shots LOL. A little blurry on some but i was in motion, what can i say :)

DSC08628.jpg

8 passes per sub, 1/4" at a time to counter sink it. Depth was set at about 1/2". When i was at the point where the speaker hole itself was ready i just dropped it down and cut it out. Youll see.

DSC08630.jpg

DSC08633.jpg

one cut, bump 1/4", another cut bumpe 1/4".........till its the way i planned.

DSC08634.jpg

DSC08635.jpg

DSC08638.jpg

DSC08639.jpg

DSC08640.jpg

DSC08642.jpg

i got a 12" basket to make sure all is well without lugging 60-70lbs around :)

DSC08643.jpg

a little elbow grease to knock off the rough edges left behind by the router

DSC08645.jpg

DSC08646.jpg

DSC08648.jpg

Pretty Snazzy, I like it.

Is there a difference to the meter for the kerf cuts and flared ports vs standand design and 45's? I know in theory (atleast to me) it would make a difference but I was wondering if you've noticed anything other than the fact it just looks good.

Pretty Snazzy, I like it.

Is there a difference to the meter for the kerf cuts and flared ports vs standand design and 45's? I know in theory (atleast to me) it would make a difference but I was wondering if you've noticed anything other than the fact it just looks good.

im not sure.....i just wanted this one to be different from the last one. I have to say im not that experienced in wood bending but im getting better each time. Nothing pisses you off more then making 20 cuts and then the board snapping in half on you while tryint to bend it. I think i got it now but ill need more practice :)

oh ya i dont think i mentioned to that many people what the size is. It is 2.1 ft3 net on each side so 4.2 cubes tuned to 34hz

You might try steam bending.... I've seen a 2" thick piece of oak bent in a semicircle with an 18" radius bent using just steam.

Don't think that steam bending would work with MDF though, probably have to use birch ply.

As always, very very nice work steve!!

thanks guys :)

how does steam bending work? I understand the concept but whats all involved and what tools do you need?

Steve if you don't mind me asking, in the .75" MDF, how deep are your kerf cuts?

Steam won't work with MDF...not a good idea :)

Steam won't work with MDF...not a good idea :)

cool.......ill just keep practicing till i get good at it with the cuts.

Denim: not sure the exact depth but i want most of the way thru leaving just enough to hold itself together. I found that worked better then leaving more material there because the more you have to force it to bend the better chance it would snap. Theres people more expereinced then me at it and they may have a different answer then me. After breaking a couple pieces ill just do whatever works :coolugh:

it may work with 1/2" material, the 3/4+ it wont work, it just sweats it and busts :(.

GREAT log, great pics, looks very nice. I can't see how the steam could really be good for the mdf either, since it swells permanently after it's been dampened, unless for some reason the hot steam is different than damp air/wet conditions.

I'm not very experienced at wood bending, but I have played around with it when looking for ideas for the next box I'm making. I cut about 1/2 way through the wood, 7/8 of the way through, and closer to 4/5 of the way through, and the 4/5 seemed to work well. When I cut too little it did exactly as you said and cracked an almost finished piece, and when I cut too much it just sort of-seperated with a little pressure. Fun, but it seems like some experience is needed to get good consistant results.

This is a bit of a hijack, but is there any way to find out more about your 'square-o-port' idea steve? I've been searching for a while now, but I can't seem to find anything at all. Or is it ancient chinese secret type thing? Thanks.

Again, great job, looks fantastic.

Edited by tejcurrent

Steve your box design may be awesome

But i live in hawaii and see half nekked ladies on the beach... LOL

Man Steve is there anything related to car audio that your NOT good at...

BTW i hope you drop in here more often... you sorta lead the way for many (including myself) to a great product known as Fi..... your experience and talents are most welcome here....

Lots of members have 18" BTL's and they would love to hear some of your expert advice on them....

Time to reinforce the box with some good ol 29.2oz fiberglass and a few gallons of resin. If you want to know just how thick this is, compare it to the 3/4oz stuff i use for forming door pods and other stuff with. This is less for forming and more for structural purposes. This box will be literally bulletproof ;)

DSC08654.jpg

DSC08655.jpg

DSC08657.jpg

DSC08658.jpg

DSC08659.jpg

even this little thing will be solid as a rock, plus provide some strength to the box at the same time. I stuffed it full of glass and after that im going to pour it full of resin to the top and call it done.

DSC08660.jpg

DSC08661.jpg

DSC08664.jpg

DSC08665.jpg

:superman::superman:

Sign in to follow this