Sign in to follow this  
johnnylemoine

im a little concerned

scott, i took my sub apart today and when i looked at the coil i found that my voice coil was really scratched up on one side, i dont know if its from me taking it apart or wut. i really doubt its from me taking it apart. i dont know how to put the pic up here so im just gonna email the pic to you. if its something with the magnet or motor i dont want this to happen to my new coils. please let me know wut u think.

upload the pics to photobucket and link it to here by using the insert image button.

it would be cool if you can post pics of your recone step by step.

please johnny.

Is it on the inside of the coil (the balck former portion of things)? Pics and I can do a little autopsy of it.

Thanks,

Scott

Pressure spot in the box will cause it to rub like that :) We'll get it taken care of for you with the new recone...shouldn't have a problem again.

Thanks

-Nick

Pressure spot in the box will cause it to rub like that :) We'll get it taken care of for you with the new recone...shouldn't have a problem again.

Thanks

-Nick

Pressure spot in the box?

could u explain it a little more?

i am building my box right now , and u got me scared;)

cool thanks nick, wut are yall going to do to fix it, out of curiosity? since yall are sending a recone kit to me.

and scott, i sent you a couple of pics via email. tell me if they help in anyway or if i need to use a better camera and get better pics.

Thanks

-Nick

Pressure spot in the box?

could u explain it a little more?

i am building my box right now , and u got me scared;)

ditto, should i rebuild my box?

oh and one other thing, i counted only 3 spiders on my sub, dont BTL's have quad spiders?

Edited by johnnylemoine

18's come standard with 3...12's and 15's are 4 spiders.

Pressure spots in the box can and do cause the cone assembly to rock one way and rub one side of the coil out....which is why many people in high strung spl environments do a lot of rounding and testing various angles to get the woofers to 'load' properly and not short out. Your new spider arrangement won't let it happen, so you won't have to worry about it.

awesome nick u the man, glad to hear yall are gonna take of me. another good example of great customer service.

thanks FI

holly shat johnny,

WTF did you do?......lol

I saw where you called the other day, guessin this is what it was about....try to catch me again to day around 7pm.

-Canaan

johnny,

Stop chewing on the coil man..... I told you already Fi is NOT edible... LOL

dude it just looked so tasty, i mean c'mon.

i was grinding off the glue that holds the spider to the basket today and it smelled kinda sweet at first. then the smoke burned my eyes.

That's CA glue..and you really shouldn't have inhaled the smoke, it is toxic.

well i wasnt huffin it, i figured it was toxic. i just noticed it had kind of a sweet smell. cant wait to get this puppy back together, thanks for all the help nick.

Ummm... CA grind fumes and smoke are nasty things. Theyll make your eyes water up instantly and the smoke is simply AWFUL to inhale. Next time please use a mask. We do as well as some swim goggles as they are sealed and are the only things we have found to keep the fumes out. That stuff doesnt play around when cleaning it up with a grinder or flap wheel.

Kits on its way.

Thanks,

Scott

Yeah, tears streaming down your face like you were just kicked in the b@lls and maced is "fun" :) lol.

Im really not sure why we offer to recone others products, there is VERY little $$$ to be made in it and Ill be d@mned if I hate the smell of burning CA. I think its more of a "service" to the audio community than anything else. I know Pol hates cleaning them... especially when he has to wear the pink swim goggles (Thanks Shawn and Pops for those ;) )

scott, i was wondering the same thing about why yall recone other subs lol. u can bet next time i will wear my respirator. goggles aint a bad idea either.

im not exactly sure wut burnt it up, hte fact that i had 2 xtr 2400's on it with gains set improperly, or if the pressure spot in the box made the coil short out on the mags.

oh almost forgot to ask, scott, does that kit include shims? if not wut do u recommend i use as a shim? a guy on here, canaan, uses a manilla folder. or could u give me the thickness? my bro was a machinist for a while and im sure he would have something laying around. thanks again.

Edited by johnnylemoine

Manilla folder is the standard... add tape in even layers at multiple points if it is too thin. Either electrical or scotch. Cheap and easy. Get it snug, but not so that you have to really push on it to get it in... or often it wont want to come back out.

Sign in to follow this