Sign in to follow this  
audio-neon

Contemplating doing my own home audio set-up!

Here is a little list of the equipment I am looking at getting.

Reciever:

Yamaha Rx-v661

Dvd:

Yamaha DVD-C750

Speakers:

3 pairs of Axiom Audio M3v2 bookshelves

Axiom Audio Vp-100v2 center

Substage Amp:

Behringer EP2500

The woofer(s) is still undecided, but that is ok, because this will be next years project.

Leaning towards a single TC sounds 3000 (15") or a Fi Q (18")

Mach5 MJ-18 ;)

I don't get the 3 pairs of axiom's

I'd look for a higher quality sub amp than the Behringer

Suggestions are welcome, this won't be built until next year, still have to build the room and everything.

Do you really have enough room to justify 7.1?

I'm kinda "meh" on the whole thing, but I'm sure it'll sound great.

I've seen you post about this over at the TC Sounds forum but I don't remember what you are planning on doing for the video portion of this. Have you given that any consideration?

What's wrong with the Behringer? I'm running an EP-2500 and a pair of 15" TC Sounds TC-3000's in 3.5cf, sealed boxes. It sounds great. I've recently modified the fan on the amp to make it quieter. It does it's job. A lot of power for a little money.

And I also use a Behringer Feedback Destroyer as an EQ to flatten the sub's response. Any problems with this or do you only disapprove of their amps?

-Robert

What's wrong with the Behringer?

The general quality is sub-par, and the one I had I did not feel put out close to rated power. They work for a cheap/budget rack sub amp but anything beyond that I would look elsewhere. My personal preference is QSC; no bullchit specs, does exactly what they claim at all their rated impedances, the build quality is excellent, and the dealings I have had with the company has been nothing less than stellar. There is a reason I sold my EP2500 and I have no plans of ever buying one again.

I don't get the 3 pairs of axiom's

7.1 durr.

I could state it more clearly. I don't get the Axiom's. durr

Plus unless you have a HUGE room 7.1 is a complete waste.

Suggestions are welcome, this won't be built until next year, still have to build the room and everything.

Tapco J2500

over here, it's a wee bit more expensive than the ep2500. reviews say it's a great amp.

First off, I do have a huge room, its like 38'x30'x6'2". For video I will probably be getting a 42" flat screen plasma. And I wanna run 7.1.

If you have the budget - maybe give Rotel or Outlaw Audio some consideration.

Now that we know what kind of space you're working with, those speakers you've chosen are way too small. Even with a really, really, really low ceiling. Room treatments would be another thing to look into, that ceiling is going to do some funky things with reflected waves in that space...

Madisound has some kits that you could do. I know they have some timbre-matched floorstanders and centers, would allow you to get higher-quality stuff without paying too much for it.

If you have the budget - maybe give Rotel or Outlaw Audio some consideration.

Now that we know what kind of space you're working with, those speakers you've chosen are way too small. Even with a really, really, really low ceiling. Room treatments would be another thing to look into, that ceiling is going to do some funky things with reflected waves in that space...

Madisound has some kits that you could do. I know they have some timbre-matched floorstanders and centers, would allow you to get higher-quality stuff without paying too much for it.

I should have been more clear, but 7.1 and little bookshelves never really make sense. For 7.1 you need a large room and those speakers just won't cut the mustard for filling it. Of course with only a 42" tv I don't think 7.1 makes sense either as you are going to have to be too close to the tv to actually do a real 7.1 setup. A room the size you have really needs a projector.

I'm, sorry for not clarifying either. Yes I know the funky ceiling will be a problem, Will probably being doing some acoustical draping. I am building the room sometime later this year, That first dimensions were the total dimensions of my room, I will be sectioning off part of it, just haven't decided how much of it. Thinking about doing a little less than half of it at this point, so closer to 2500 sq feet.

Edited by audio-neon

and a 42" tv isn't a final solution either, I could easily get a 56" non hdtv for cheaper than a 42" plasma lcd. Or I could always go with a non flat panel tv and go bigger for the same price... This project is currently in a thought stage, so pretty much everything is up for change.

Right now my goal budget including tv is 5 grand for equipment (not room construction as my grandparents own a construction company).

Edited by audio-neon

If you truly are driven to do a 7.1 setup you should use a projector and a screen. Not going to fit in your budget though.

I'd get a bigger budget.

I'm up to $5k in equipment already, not including a TV of any kind, and I'm dealing with five less channels than you.

An option might be to look at used equipment. You might be able to squeeze everything in then.

the truth is I am not really set on 7.1 just like the reciever and would like to try it. My budgets are never set, and I will always overshoot my budget by about 33%. I could always do a projector, I could get one off of my dad's work for pretty cheap as they sell off used equipment at the end of every year.

I am just looking for suggestions, I don't even know if this is going to happen as I want to buy a car next year too, before I start getting swamped with medical school.

If you're doing med school you will have next to 0 time for time in front of a home theatre. IMO do the car first - you still need to get to 'point b'...

I have another two- two and half years before med school. I already have a car, just really trying to decide between buying a 98-02 ls1 camaro or doing a ht set-up

If your in a relationship, get the HT. If not, get the car.

And, imvho, a projector, and a 5.1 would be the best of both worlds.