mrogowski

Who would do a 20"?

I have received samples in the past and personally feel they are over the edge. Heck, 18" units are too big for many.

What's your take on something like this?

Best,

Mark

Yeah, that's what I'm thinking. I'm sure if there was, everyone would be selling one...

You've piqued my interest. I'll take one of the samples. :D

I'd love one, or eight. Keep the performance close to 2 MJ18 at a price point below 2 18's. Something that'd work with 6 cubes tuned to 30-35Hz.

But I wont be buying any soon.

A few "crazy" car audio guys might try them, but I bet there would be some IB HT guys who would be interested in the specs were right. There is no replacement for displacement :fing34:

JP

I don't think there would be a large market for car audio, sure there's the crazy few who will want it, but I think HT is where people would be interested. However, it'd either have to be similar to the MJ-18 and work well ported in a "small" enclosure for its size, or go crazy with the VAS and specialize it for large sealed or IB much like the IXL-18 is. Personally, I'd like to see the 20 an extension of the IXL line if it were brought to market.

Doing them up would sure be a gamble to say the least, as is for everything I'm doing here.

Most certainly a fringe product.

Heck, I'd do a 40" if you'd build one :)

Jim, not everyone has the space like you do. :P

But Mark, I agree with the above, I think it will sell, and maybe a few people will grab it in the CA market for the sheer size alone, but it will mostly be the HA market. But you know my feelings, I would rather beef up the MJ and keep it on the market then see it go bye bye and gain a 20".

Any news on tweets and 8's?

I will repeat, but for IB HT use it sounds great; otherwise, not so much.

Frankly, I'm not even sure it would fit for HT either. I recall a few threads over at DIYAudio discussing it and the overall impression was not a good one...

build it for spl and i might bite,have a couple more cars id be willing to try it in

Can't see myself going for it.

Maybe just for a fun experiment.

But I'm hesitant to use 18s. I imagine they are big enough.

An 8" sub on the other hand... haha

I don't know that the naysayers are right. It might be a good "halo" product, especially if the motor is really well done. Most of the antipathy to larger woofers stems simply from people not having heard such a thing. Just look at the market for 18's. Five years ago, outside of pro audio there was the Adire Maelstrom, JL Audio 18W3 and 18W6, and that was about it. Now it's a fairly standard part in most companies' lines. I wouldn't be surprised, now that 21" drivers are starting to be found in pro audio (B&C and P. Audio both recently announced and/or released some) if home audio follows suit.

The finest bass driver I've heard to date was the 55cm Cabasse woofer, so a long throw, low inductance 20" woofer would be right up my ally. Even if it cost more than getting the same volume displacement from 15's or 18's.

I don't know if anyone else would agree with me, but i would be interested in a 13.5 like the JLs. I don't want to fit a 15, but i would like a little more cone area than a 12, and when you look at the two side by side, there is a huge difference, and probably a niche to fill between them. I would love a 13.5, but my wallet doesn't like JL.

me/my bro would do a 20" .......crap we would do a 25"

I'd do a 20, its just the right height to be used as a coffee table with a slot port. :P (it might be a litle high, but whatever.)

Edited by BiNarY

me/my bro would do a 20" .......crap we would do a 25"

I'd do a 20, its just the right height to be used as a coffee table with a slot port. :P (it might be a litle high, but whatever.)

I'd use two of them for djing and parties. As long as mach 5 doesnt raise its price over 2 mj 18

I don't know if anyone else would agree with me, but i would be interested in a 13.5 like the JLs. I don't want to fit a 15, but i would like a little more cone area than a 12, and when you look at the two side by side, there is a huge difference, and probably a niche to fill between them. I would love a 13.5, but my wallet doesn't like JL.

Audiobahn makes/made a 13.5

To the OP. I think there is a market for 20", however is it an audiophile niche. That allows a slightly higher price point, but it better be worth it.

Will standard cone materials hold up under severe pressure at this diameter? Would cone flexing or rock present any problems? It seems to me that there would be a finite limit to size of driver (for audiophile use) based on cane material. The wider the cone, the thicker the cone to maintain linearity of the cone...which will increase mms.

I believe a soft suspension and mechanical power handling of approx 500w would give the audiophiles what they're after and would also keep the major power "playas" from wanting it (reducing returns and "defects")

imVho

:lol:

Listen to some Tchaikovsky or Orff and see if you still think "audiophile" equals "weak bass" :)

I doubt there would be a huge market for it, but it would be a great flagship sub that would help advertising by word of mouth. People would definitely talk about it and it could increase sales of other subs.

or it could totally bomb