madscientist

XT-2000D vs MD.1D

I have trying to compare the MD.1D and the XT-2000D for a Q15 I hope to be getting soon and other than the price, I haven't been able to tell the difference. They put out the same power and the other specs I have seen have been comparable. So why the difference in price?

Also, is it correct that each of these amps put out 1200W. The US Amps site says 1200W for each, but I have seen some say 1000W, some say 1050W, so I don't know what to think. Thanks for the help guys.

I have trying to compare the MD.1D and the XT-2000D for a Q15 I hope to be getting soon and other than the price, I haven't been able to tell the difference. They put out the same power and the other specs I have seen have been comparable. So why the difference in price?

Also, is it correct that each of these amps put out 1200W. The US Amps site says 1200W for each, but I have seen some say 1000W, some say 1050W, so I don't know what to think. Thanks for the help guys.

the 2000d will only put out around 800w but with the upgrades, i think it will put out more around 1000w. not too sure tho. but the MD1d WILL put out 1200w and can be dropped to .5 ohm and can take more abused but i dont really reccommend that.

IMO the MD.1D's power rating does seem to be a bit underrated.

Edited by Puggsley456

ill answer your question here mad. the 1050w rating is the CEA rating, but it will do 1200w

Thanks flakko. I just sent you a PM on pricing.

The difference between the Merlin MD1 and the XT 2000d.

First of all, the XT series is a traditional class

I believe DE is a form of a class D with Class E integration....

Flakko when you have time can you ask Carlos or Dirk what is the power rating for 2 Md.1D's when strapped at 2 ohms ?

thanks

Merlin amps are NOT open-ended...and they DO NOT see the full 360* signal.

You shouldn't tell people things like that.

JR works for USAmps... you should step away from the computer resident expert.

Class D is a switching amp. Class E is a more effecient switching amp.

If an amplifier's output devices pass a full music waveform, swing to swing, it must run in pure class-A, which is the least efficient way of amplifying a music signal.

This is why I asked him to CLARIFY his statements. Class D and Class A are VERY VERY VERY different.

I didn't know he was an EMPLOYEE!!! That makes this even more important.

Edited by dopey

He is actually the VP of Us Amps

If you PM me dopey i can give you the techs number (their lead tech i have his cell number) call him then posts the answer so everyone can learn what's going on...

I don't really want to get into a he said/she said sorta thing...

I'd just like an answer here. I have been doing my research, and wouldn't post anything like this if I wasn't POSITIVE that I'm correct.

I used to be a HUGE USAmps fan. In the ~1996 timeframe...they were the amps to own. Since then it seems that they have been moving production offshore, and as I had in my sig for awhile, they were using a "modified" USacoustics board in one of their amps. Not exactly the quality the USAmps name earned. If this dude is the VP.....well.....maybe that says a WHOLE lot about their operations.

wow you sure are bitter about the usamps move arent you? Trust me, after spending hours talking to him JR knows his stuff. hes been in the business for a LOOONG time. a seasoned veteran if you will.

i had contacted JR about this and this is what he gave me, although i dont see how this answered your question. i think he got his amps mixed up with the TU line. i emailed him back about the confusion.

http://www.fileden.com/files/2006/10/11/28...ew_ax1500DE.pdf

as abunai said, just give usamps a call and they can clear this up with you, and post your findings!

I'm not bitter AT ALL!!!

PLEASE do not mistake my quest for knowledge and truth, with vengance. I wish NOTHING but the best for USAmps, and was SERIOUSLY considering an AX for my BTL just a few months ago.

I have built my own class A tube guitar amp, and THAT is why this stuck out at me. Lately, with all the hype surrounding audiophilia and tubes and Class A and point to point and....EVERYTHING else, I have noticed that some very specific terminology has made its way into car audio. USAmps and the TU series seems to be at the forefront of this...With people looking at your amps as audiophile-grade equipment, you WILL get people that know the terms, and KNOW WHAT THEY MEAN. You will absolutely shoot yourself in the foot if the wrong people hear you say something like what was said earlier. Audiophiles are a picky group, and PERCEIVED value is just as important as actual value.

I just want the truth, and I believe your customers deserve it. Even the one's that don't understand it.

I am not upset/angry/bitter, and I appologize for coming across that way. The internet makes it easy for inflection to get lost at the keyboard.

:)

"@@Yes, I can. The more concise term would be single ended instead of open ended. My bad. Moreover, Class A states that a signal is conducted continuously. No breaks, like in our Higher end AX tube amplifier. Our 2007 Merlin amplifiers, are still switching amplifiers, doing the full signal-- in sections. The class-d, using a 4080 chip has bridged outputs. One channel switching and doing only have the wave while the other is also switching and doing the other half of the wave. "

Doing the full signal swing...in sections...is NOT doing the full 360* signal. That verbage is misleading imho.

I appreciate your input, but in my opinion you haven't solidified your case any.

I'd love for one of the tech team to chime in here. RIckRolled...others?

If you want me to take this PM's...

"@@Yes, I can. The more concise term would be single ended instead of open ended. My bad. Moreover, Class A states that a signal is conducted continuously. No breaks, like in our Higher end AX tube amplifier. Our 2007 Merlin amplifiers, are still switching amplifiers, doing the full signal-- in sections. The class-d, using a 4080 chip has bridged outputs. One channel switching and doing only have the wave while the other is also switching and doing the other half of the wave. "

Doing the full signal swing...in sections...is NOT doing the full 360* signal. That verbage is misleading imho.

I appreciate your input, but in my opinion you haven't solidified your case any.

I'd love for one of the tech team to chime in here. RIckRolled...others?

If you want me to take this PM's...

The term," full 360 degree signal," are your words but I can work with them, no problem.

The output of the amplifier is a pulse width modulated output; the pulse width is modulated by the music. The output pulse is feed thru an output filter; voltage out of the filter is a varying DC representation of the music producing 360 degrees of the entire signal.

Now I have a few questions regarding the tube amp you built.

1) What type of output tube are you using? Cathode bias, negative grid bias?

2) Push pull or single ended? If push pull, what type of phase inverter are you using?

3) What type of output transformer are you using?

It was el84 based cathode biased.

Pushpull with another EL84 as the Phase inverter (Actually, an ECC99, but very similar)

Torroid. From Tor-Tran...a company my father does business with.

It sounded like azz. lol I think it was the torroidial output. I built it with a friend, an EE. I alone do not have the knowledge that he, or you, do. But I know enough to be dangerous (as they say).

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"The Merlin amps are open ended strap able amplifiers we refer to as Class DE. They do the full signal swing, thus in situation of not having enough current. They are less efficient and not as stable a circuit."

Class D is "Pulse" width modulated...it may produce a full wave at output, but the output section doesn't amplify the full signal. It amplifies a PART of the full signal. Thus, it does not "do the full signal swing" as you stated earlier.

NVM. I don't REALLY care enough...I just know that you were describing aspects of Class A amps like the TU series and those structures...ie....Single ended(as commonly known) dont equate to Class D. That is all.

It was el84 based cathode biased.

Pushpull with another EL84 as the Phase inverter (Actually, an ECC99, but very similar)

Torroid. From Tor-Tran...a company my father does business with.

It sounded like azz. lol I think it was the torroidial output. I built it with a friend, an EE. I alone do not have the knowledge that he, or you, do. But I know enough to be dangerous (as they say).

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"The Merlin amps are open ended strap able amplifiers we refer to as Class DE. They do the full signal swing, thus in situation of not having enough current. They are less efficient and not as stable a circuit."

Class D is "Pulse" width modulated...it may produce a full wave at output, but the output section doesn't amplify the full signal. It amplifies a PART of the full signal. Thus, it does not "do the full signal swing" as you stated earlier.

NVM. I don't REALLY care enough...I just know that you were describing aspects of Class A amps like the TU series and those structures...ie....Single ended(as commonly known) dont equate to Class D. That is all.

I hope you have taken some of the kinks out of your tube amp. Thank you for asking good questions