Sign in to follow this  
conradl

Best amp under $300 to power Q12

i am looking for the best amp for under $300, i am looking for an Sq system, I have a Fi Audio Q12, and custom ported box, tuned to 32hz, I have a 2007 honda accord V6 EX-L. I was looking at Memphis 16-PRD 1000.1, and people have said that this amp is pretty good, but i want some more input.

thanks C

I don't see a problem with it.

Id listen to JimJ, he knows SQ, and if he dont really see a problem with teh memphis amp, then use it.

Not saying Memphis has great SQ amps, but for $300 dollars, High end amps are kinda out teh question.

Id say anything other than Boss and no name brand stuff, will do.

jimj knows what he is talking about... I learned a lot from his posts...

Jimj will probably also say that the sub stage is only ONE small part of an SQ system....

For that small a frequency range (sub stage) i don't see why the memphis can't handle the task...

Edited by theabunai

Amps are the least of your worries when it comes to SQ in a car, especially when you are talking below 60hz for a substage.

Amps are the least of your worries when it comes to SQ in a car, especially when you are talking below 60hz for a substage.

Zed Audio Minilith. I know I will get flamed for it only being 600 wrms but you do not need to send any driver its max rating. $210 I believe and Zed is the some of the best amps made.

Zed Audio Minilith. I know I will get flamed for it only being 600 wrms but you do not need to send any driver its max rating. $210 I believe and Zed is the some of the best amps made.

thats what some one else on a different forum recomended, how does everyone think of the zed minilith?

While I am thinking of picking up some Zed amps since there has been a decent amount of buzz for them and their SQ ability (for a smallish SQ setup), Im still of the mind that more power is better in most applications SQ wise. Headroom in an SQ system is always a good thing. And I would rather have 250W with 6dB of headroom vs 3.5 dB. Not that I use the power on tap 99.9% of the time... but often running an amp near its power limits also pushes up THD as well (even though you probably wont notice it since precevied distortion in the substage runs at 5%+).

Given that you are really talking only about the bass section of an SQ system, the sub and enclosure play a larger roll in things than the "sound quality" of most decent car amps. I would then put the midbass section ahead of the sub amp for blending of the substage as well. It is amazing to most just how much better a strong midbass can make the sub section sound...

Memphis amp should be fine...

While I am thinking of picking up some Zed amps since there has been a decent amount of buzz for them and their SQ ability (for a smallish SQ setup), Im still of the mind that more power is better in most applications SQ wise. Headroom in an SQ system is always a good thing. And I would rather have 250W with 6dB of headroom vs 3.5 dB. Not that I use the power on tap 99.9% of the time... but often running an amp near its power limits also pushes up THD as well (even though you probably wont notice it since precevied distortion in the substage runs at 5%+).

Given that you are really talking only about the bass section of an SQ system, the sub and enclosure play a larger roll in things than the "sound quality" of most decent car amps. I would then put the midbass section ahead of the sub amp for blending of the substage as well. It is amazing to most just how much better a strong midbass can make the sub section sound...

Memphis amp should be fine...

Have you looked at the Sundown SAE-1000D? Talk to Denim, I wouldnt think they are too much over $300 for one from him...Solid little amp and Jacob will offer you some of the best customer service you can imagine (Same as Scott).

I'd say sundown or used. I dont think 600 from the mini is gonna get you where you want to be.

I've got 1000ish going to an SSD and I'm barely pushing it.

I'd say sundown or used. I dont think 600 from the mini is gonna get you where you want to be.

I've got 1000ish going to an SSD and I'm barely pushing it.

i agree, i dont think 600 will be enough, O.k i guess i will just get the memphis then.

thanks

Edited by Jorge

what about the usamps "xterminator??" series - i think thats what they are called -please correct me if i'm wrong. but i know you can get them at a VERY reasonable price, and I hear they put out good clean power.

how much better do you think the Sundown SAE-1000D, is compared to the memphis 16-PRD 1000.1, because i can get them for about the same price, but the only thing is that i already bought the memphis today. So is the sundown that much better for me to return the memphis????

I don't have any memphis experience...but I LOVE my sundown!

I'd trust the sundown to be better quality.

I don't have any memphis experience...but I LOVE my sundown!

I'd trust the sundown to be better quality.

thanks for the quick reply

I have heard very good things about both amps, but i really dont know if the sundown is THAT much better. Because truthly in my heart, i dont want to return the memphis.... BUT i will if the sundown is really that much better.

The sundown compares in performance to the memphis.... Not THAT MUCH better but on par with it...

The reason i would suggest the sundown is one simple thing... Customer service... there is no way Memphis can give you the same personalized Customer service that jacob over and Sundown could and to me i would GLADLY, willingly and without a doubt spend a little bit more so i ca rest assured that not only is my money purchasing a product but a great staff to back that product....

that is one reason why i push Sundown so much... I don't own one piece of equipment from them but i seen and experienced myself the type of service they give and to me it's well worth the little extra if any price difference i need to pay...

you can bet my next amp will be a sundown...

Edited by theabunai

WOW, thats a very good reason, to get a sundown, now i will definatly have to think about it. Because i know how important good customer service is, because i've dealt with alot of bad service.

Thanks to all

Conrad

Sign in to follow this