bld 25

Does this box design look ok for my RL-P 12?

Hey, i currently have my box in about 1.6 cubes to low 30's, and Mike told me that 2cubes net at 34 would give me more output. I want to make sure i won't lose SQ, but i might give this a try. Will i gain much output with this change? Will i still have excellent SQ?

I searched a ton on here and caraudio.com and read up on ports, square inches of port area, etc, and i used various calculators. I used the calc on maximacar.com, which is the best i have seen.

The box dimensions are:

24x14.5x15 with a 4 inch by 11" port. The calculator takes into account woofer displacement and displacement of the port, and it comes out to 2.29gross, and 2.06 net. With the box being 15" deep, that leaves 3.25" of space between the back of the inside of the box and the port, which i would assume is enough since it will be coming from all angles.

I know many people will say the 4" port may not be enough, but i have read that using a round port since it doesn't have corners, etc, you don't need as much port area since the are flows smoother.

does everything look good? will i gain much output?

Thanks!!

I will go ahead and post this in the enclosure forum also.

IMO, a 4" port would be a touch small even with less friction because of less surface area.

I ran my RLp12 in a 2.0 tuned to 28Hz. Talk about a low end monster.

will the 4 still work? it is in a trunk car, so i don't think i would hear port noise if there was just a slight amount.

the program shows two 3" X 13" ports with 2 more inches of port area, but then they only have a little over an inch before they touch the back wall, and i would rather not use a curve if i don't have to.

i used 2 3" flared ports for my rl-p and i still got port noise. i would even go larger like 2 4's or soemthing.

i used 2 3" flared ports for my rl-p and i still got port noise. i would even go larger like 2 4's or soemthing.

the two 4" ports would have to be 33inches long apeice, and also that takes the net cubes to 1.59cubes. is port noise the only by product if a 4" doesn't work? this is in a trunk car.

a restrictive port will also affect output.

personally, at 34hz, i would think that one 4" aeroport would be plenty. (as i anwered in your other thread, lol) at lower tunings, that might not be the case. and i've been wrong before.

wheeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee :slayer:

the two 4" ports would have to be 33inches long apeice, and also that takes the net cubes to 1.59cubes. is port noise the only by product if a 4" doesn't work? this is in a trunk car.

of course i dont hear crap in the cabin...but when i open the trunk it sounds naaaaasty

My RL-p loves 2.0 @ 27hz.

I don't think a 4" port is anywhere near enough for an Rli 8. If you think differently you are nuts. I have nearly 2x that with my Rli8 and can still hear it huff a bit.

edit: I mistyped the first sentence, it was supposed to say Rlp. The second half holds true however

The little buggers have a ton of displacement.

i must be nuts then, lol. or hard of hearing...

or maybe both.

but the rl-i8 is a sexy beast!

wheeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee :slayer: