Sign in to follow this  
rcb054

Totally downplayed FI

OK so I took my 15" FI-Q into the the local shop around me and first he starts off by questioning the stats on the webpage. He says 2-2.6 cu ft is way to big for the sub. Then he starts saying that its just a eclipse base with a paper cone. The guy just kept looking at it and talking about it like I picked it up from a damn junkyard.

On another note...I know the FI guys said between 2-2.6 cu ft. but I am wondering what the best size is to get my sealed box made to? I am thinking about going with 2.3 cu. ft. What do you guys think?

The guy just kept looking at it and talking about it like I picked it up from a damn junkyard.

Of course, you think it's going to recommend it over something he sells? :)

There are lots of shops around me that are ignorant and biased towards what they carry. Sub "Z" is the best for for buck, and sub "M" is the best period, unless you want to "buy a jackhammer". Ignorant stuff...

So he didn't actually hear it I'm going to suppose...

I just came back from a shop a few hours ago where the guy told me '$800 or more- whatever you paid a piece for those subs' ;):fing34:

He also said he didn't believe I was able to give them a memphis 4k each, and that it would hold up for any length of time. I let him listen to a song, after which he said 'what brand were those?'. Most people think if they haven't heard of it it isn't good, which just isn't true.

I like the sound of a box on the larger side of the recommendations, but that's my preference. I'm sure it'll sound great either way. I wouldn't let someone elses ignorance make you feel bad, just turn it around once you get it hooked up ;) Just keep in mind they take a little while to break in before they start sounding really good.

Edited by tejcurrent

yeah I just thought it was funny how ignorant he was...but he's building my box and I think once he completes it and lets it run hes gonna change his mind...or at least I am hoping. Maybe get FI some recommendations who knows..

or build you a chitty box and blame it on the sub

yup....

apparently he doesn't know how to sell a box, my ass woulda been lookin somewhere else after he professed his ignorance so well.

Anyway, i think he'll be surprised once he hears it. Go with 2.6 net, imo

he isnt building it anymore...i thought about it and decided to not have them build it...really was unimpressed with thier cs anyway.

tell that man the he doesnt know what he is talking about

i run 2 15 Q's in a 3CF sealed box EACH on a sundown 1500D and i love everyminute of it

the lows hit like i love on the "infected mushroom" tracks

my first plan was to put the in 5CF for both , but scott recommended me to put them in a 6CF box for beneficial Qts , so i mannaged to fit a 6cf box in my car

and i LOVE every second the system is on

people that want you to buy their stuff will talk sh1t on everything "genesis? that piece of crap amp? get crunch!" pff

the car audio stores are not going to be positive about any product that can be bought by the end user direct from the manufacturer

he see's no way to turn a buck on an FI product , cause we can buy direct

now the only way he can see $ is to sell you an accessory for it such as a box which he was stupid in the way he handled you , and he lost that $ as well

if you would have walked into my shop , whatever feelings i have negative about FI i would have kept my mouth shut , and built the best box i can for the sub i have negative feelings about

anyway when you get your box done roll back to his shop with a positive attitude and show him what the sub is capable of also let him look at the box he did not make for you cause he used his big mouth the wrong way

the car audio stores are not going to be positive about any product that can be bought by the end user direct from the manufacturer

he see's no way to turn a buck on an FI product , cause we can buy direct

now the only way he can see $ is to sell you an accessory for it such as a box which he was stupid in the way he handled you , and he lost that $ as well

if you would have walked into my shop , whatever feelings i have negative about FI i would have kept my mouth shut , and built the best box i can for the sub i have negative feelings about

anyway when you get your box done roll back to his shop with a positive attitude and show him what the sub is capable of also let him look at the box he did not make for you cause he used his big mouth the wrong way

:fing34:

I think he is a bad businessman. There is money to be made so why turn business away by being a jakcalope?

If I were him, I'd tell the customer that I'll do the box. Ask the customer to give me some contact info. Call Fi and see what they say. And build a box accotingly.

Customer gets a box, I get a little bit of profit and we are both happy.

I have been to a bunch of car audio shops Hell i used to work in one a couple years back...

2 car audio shops i respect and trust....

for a few reasons.... i remember when i was interested in Fi and they never heard of it but instead of knocking it they said when i get it bring it down so they could have a listen to the subs...

they also wanted some T/S specs on it so if a customer had one they would be prepared ahead of time to build a box correctly....

the other shops pretty much say the same chit.... "I never heard of Fi, I wouldn't buy it" "Fi is a no name brand probably built in china/Korea/Taiwan" I never go back to those shops... I hate ignorance..

Edited by theabunai

most audio shops are :sigh:

My so called reputable shop only recommend MTX because he's carrying those brands. When I told them I heard the Brahma, he said ohh.. that sub is crap. Wait until you hear my MTX8500 in SQ setup.

I can waith to rebuilt my box so I can show him my so called unknown Q with his MTX.

Fortunately I haven't had this happen yet. I would simply sit them in my car for a listen. Rainbow Contours mix well with the Q's tuning IMO. Silly uninformed shop owners. :)

I have been to a bunch of car audio shops Hell i used to work in one a couple years back...

2 car audio shops i respect and trust....

for a few reasons.... i remember when i was interested in Fi and they never heard of it but instead of knocking it they said when i get it bring it down so they could have a listen to the subs...

they also wanted some T/S specs on it so if a customer had one they would be prepared ahead of time to build a box correctly....

the other shops pretty much say the same chit.... "I never heard of Fi, I wouldn't buy it" "Fi is a no name brand probably built in china/Korea/Taiwan" I never go back to those shops... I hate ignorance..

What shops are you talking about?

Sign in to follow this