Steve91

BTL or BL and a sealed box?

I was wondering if the BTL or BL could be run in a sealed box. The Fi site doesnt have any dimensions for sealed boxes. If they cant be used in a sealed box, why? Is it because they just wouldnt sound good? Just wondering. Thanks guys

if you are wanting sound quality i think you could have made better choices

the Qts is a little low for getting optimum results from sealed...

It doesn't mean you CANT run it sealed but you won't be getting maximum results from a sealed enclosure..... Where as you could get full potential of the sub in a vented/ported enclosure...

I was wondering if the BTL or BL could be run in a sealed box. The Fi site doesnt have any dimensions for sealed boxes. If they cant be used in a sealed box, why? Is it because they just wouldnt sound good? Just wondering. Thanks guys

He's not asking for a recommendation.

He wants to know WHY Fi doesn't advise using a BTL or BL in a sealed box.

Will it break the sub? Will it screw up the freq response? If so, how?

We all know a sub will not be as loud in a sealed enclosure...saying it won't reach its potential is not a helpful answer.

I have been wondering myself for awhile...and have asked...however, I never got any "real" answers. Qts being too low....doesn't tell me anything, if Fi refuses to answer questions regarding T/S param's

Response curve of a sub with a low Q and tons of motor force quite frankly sucks (up/down/all over the place)...not to mention it sounds terrible...also tends to be very peaky in a few different spots.

There is no low end to the sub, and you also run into mechanical issues VERY fast.

All in all, as always, stick to what enclosures we recommend, it's what is best for the subs in a daily driving and musical scenario.

I don't know a lot of very low Qts woofers that do well in sealed environments, mostly because they're so electrically overdamped that they have horrible bass response when sealed up.

The Fostex's I have run into the same problems when sealed up, everything under 150Hz goes out the window...but they basically have no BL product either :D

Response curve of a sub with a low Q and tons of motor force quite frankly sucks (up/down/all over the place)...not to mention it sounds terrible...also tends to be very peaky in a few different spots.

There is no low end to the sub, and you also run into mechanical issues VERY fast.

All in all, as always, stick to what enclosures we recommend, it's what is best for the subs in a daily driving and musical scenario.

Thank you!

I have a BTL and an SSD....I have followed Fi's recommendations to a tee, but I always wondered what a giant BTL would sound like sealed.

Shitty and peaky is good to know!

I appreciate it...and I'm sure Steve91 does too.