stevew007

best way to square cut tube??

Miter box. If you don't have one you can whack one out of mdf really fast.

well these are scrap's so no square end! I can make a miter box but i would still have to roll the tube for complete cut and take the chance of a messed up cut. and i'm not cuting it with a hand saw either. guess i will do what it take's

Bandsaw.

Cutting it with a hand saw would not take very long either.

well it's 3/4 thick and I need to make 3 cut's hopfully. if it come's to that my arm will be tired! LOL

Make a miter box that will hold the whole tube. You won't have to turn it at all.

You should always use the proper tool for the job.

If you're cutting a square tube, you should use a square saw.

:P

well it's 3/4 thick and I need to make 3 cut's hopfully. if it come's to that my arm will be tired! LOL

Jeebus christ where in the world did you find 3/4" thick walled pvc ? Never seen it that thick before. :D Could always cut a hole just big enough for the pvc to fit in a piece of scrap wood. Then just lay your hand saw flat against the board and get to cutting. Pvc is pretty easy to cut. I have a gigantor pipe cutter I bought at a yard sale eons ago that I use. :)

Jeebus christ where in the world did you find 3/4" thick walled pvc ? Never seen it that thick before. :D Could always cut a hole just big enough for the pvc to fit in a piece of scrap wood. Then just lay your hand saw flat against the board and get to cutting. Pvc is pretty easy to cut. I have a gigantor pipe cutter I bought at a yard sale eons ago that I use. :)

Use rope.

Thin strong organic rope. Hemp works well.

Take a length approx 2x the circumference, and tie the ends to the center of something to make a handle at the ends.

Wrap the string around the PVC, grab the handles, and start sawing.

When the PVC heats up under friction it will cut VERY easily...the trick is going hard and fast enough to heat the PVC.

I have made lotsa stuff outta PVC, string is how I ALWAYS cut it.

You should always use the proper tool for the job.

If you're cutting a square tube, you should use a square saw.

round tube so I need a round saw right? wow that would make it so much easier LOL

:P

Cut it close enough to where you need it, then almost as brother Ramos suggested, make a plug to fit inside it, and spin that bitch up against a flush trim router bit. Perfect every time.

If you don't have any of the above us a pipe wrap. You can buy one at a local welding supply shop like National Welders , Airgas ,or somewhere like that. They are cheap and precise and you can reuse them .They are used for cast , steel ,plastic and acrylic pipe. Just wrap it and mark it . If you can't find one use a piece of construction paper and wrap it around the pipe making sure it lines up perfectly with itself. :morning:

You may also use any table saw. Simply set the guard (fence) at the desired length and use a 40 or 60 tooth blade. Hold it against the fence and roll it just as you come in to the blade. If the piece you are working on is too tall, use a piece of wood and clamp it too the fence for added height.

Chop saw...

nG

Hell we have used a table saw before . Nothing like being hit with schards of hot, melted pvc :D

If you don't have any of the above us a pipe wrap. You can buy one at a local welding supply shop like National Welders , Airgas ,or somewhere like that. They are cheap and precise and you can reuse them .They are used for cast , steel ,plastic and acrylic pipe. Just wrap it and mark it . If you can't find one use a piece of construction paper and wrap it around the pipe making sure it lines up perfectly with itself. :morning:

That give you a guide but not a square cut.

You may also use any table saw. Simply set the guard (fence) at the desired length and use a 40 or 60 tooth blade. Hold it against the fence and roll it just as you come in to the blade. If the piece you are working on is too tall, use a piece of wood and clamp it too the fence for added height.

That only works if you have a square edge to start with. He's already stated that he didn't.

Haven't seen a chop saw with a 13" cut depth. Most only have a 10" blade.

Is it square on one end? Measure a few different spots and draw a line.

Or else set it on a band saw.

That would be one ridiculously large band saw. Every band saw I have used has about 6 inches of cutting depth. A 13 inch diameter tube is pucking huge.

That would be one ridiculously large band saw. Every band saw I have used has about 6 inches of cutting depth. A 13 inch diameter tube is pucking huge.

Hmmm, don't run very big machines do you.... :)

Hmmm, don't run very big machines do you.... :)

The bandsaw's we use in construction for removing/ cutting pipe can only can on average 5-6 inches in diameter piping. I have used skid-steers and all, but my uncle gets to play with the big machinery. The biggest thing I have ever used was a dump truck, you know the ones that dot uses that have 4 seats and you need a cdl to drive (*although I don't have my cdl either, construction is a family thing and more of a hobby for me as I work full time in a hospital.)

http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/disp...temnumber=93762

That's the kind I meant. I realize that most people probably don't have one of those. My old boss has nearly every kind of tool available to man, so I always have access to stuff like that.

Anyway, set it in there and drop it down. BAM. Done.

You do realize that that particluar one can only cut a 4.5" diam circle right?

You do realize that that particluar one can only cut a 4.5" diam circle right?

I posted the first one I found.

I was thinking of ways to cut PVC, and that came into my head.

Edited by afarfsin