drwang84

BTL or kicker wire killing my mustang brakes?

I was driving to San Francisco today listening to music in the car not all that loud and about 3/4 of the trip I noticed that the brakes started to respond slower. For example, I'd press down the brakes 1/3 of the way down and it won't respond until I press halfway down until the brakes even start working. By the time I arrived in the city, I popped the hood and I noticed that the wires were coming loose from the fuse holder. What's even worse was that the wire was in contact with something metal and I saw some burn marks with something black that melted as well, probably plastic. Anyways, I made it safely, but it turns out I didn't do a great job with the wiring. Although it's weird, because whenever I screw in the 1/0gauge into the anl fuse holder with a hex screwdriver, it always seems to be a bit loose because the hex screwdriver tends to loose grip when the screw gets tighter. All that bass shaking my car didn't help either. Anyways, I'm going to get the car serviced and hope that there hasn't been too much damage done.

Ps. I'd appreciate tips on getting the wire and fuse holder fastened on more safely. Thanks.

use the right size allen wrench? sounds like you are having a metric/standard problem

use the right size allen wrench? sounds like you are having a metric/standard problem

Where can I bolt down the fuse holder? I usually have it laying on top of something.

I'll go out to Home depot and see if I can fit the correct allen wrench size. Thanks.

Neither of the things in question are killing your brakes.

Just an :fyi:

nG

you can connect it somwhere? i don't know what your engine bay looks like

you can screw it down if it has mounting holes (which almost all of them have)...

Wire tie it to a wire loom running in the engine bay (providing that it doesn't stick above the hood line or it isn't a wire that is for safety ie. Air bag, side impact bag etc etc)....

Get the right hex head to tighten the screw OR add a washer so you don't have to go too far down for it to be tight....

Like ngsm13 said... your stereo has nothing to do with failing brakes.

Brake boosters run off of the engine vacuum, and when you press the brake pedal, it causes the master cylinder to ramp up pressure, causing the brake capilers (or drums) to apply brake pressure. Sounds like you need to flush the brake fluid, put new stuff in & bleed the system (everyone over looks this... it is a service item). If that doesn't help, need a new master cylinder.

You also need to really tidy up that wiring. Remove the fuse and do not use your system until it is safely fixed.

I dropped off the mustang at a ford service department today to have it fixed. When I get it back, I'll post some pics of the damage(burn marks) if they are still there and some pics of the engine bay so I can get some tips/advice from you guys on how to properly secure the power wire and fuseholder. Thanks.

Like ngsm13 said... your stereo has nothing to do with failing brakes.

Brake boosters run off of the engine vacuum, and when you press the brake pedal, it causes the master cylinder to ramp up pressure, causing the brake capilers (or drums) to apply brake pressure. Sounds like you need to flush the brake fluid, put new stuff in & bleed the system (everyone over looks this... it is a service item). If that doesn't help, need a new master cylinder.

Wow man, you hit the nail right on. The service adviser told me those were the exact things that had to be replaced, the cylinder and flushing the brake fluid. The bill was estimated for around $600, ... ouch. Anyways, I'm hoping to pick up my car tomorrow. I'm really lucky it didn't start an electrical fire. Seems like the zipties wheren't enough. I'm going to need to bolt it down like you guys recommended.

I finally got my car back. Here is the before the horrible incident pic:All i did last time was ziptie it down,...

DSC00152.jpg

This is the part that the loose pos wire came into contact with: Note this is the new replacement part;

DSC00559.jpg

This is what I have to work with. Any ideas on where to mount? I had a tough time finding a place to bolt the fuse holder down with nut and bolt.

DSC00562.jpg

DSC00558.jpg