Sign in to follow this  
Electrodynamic

New Mag proto pics

Any chance that we may get to see any videos or pictures of that latest proto you toasted? Anyway, I think I am officially addicted to SI subs. My BM is amazing, I may just have to replace it with the new Mag next summer, lol.

Damnit wasn't there a picture of the new proto mags on this forum yesterday? I could of sworn I seen it when i was on the site at work. now i can't seem to find the thread it was in anywhere or was I was day dreaming?

Do we have any rough estimates on the mounting depth the new mag might be?

Edited by Impact9

There WAS a thread with a photo of a Mag proto a short while ago, but that driver did NOT make the cut.

Nick, how much do you plan on beefing up the power handling on the new Mags? I've got 2,400 watts on tap [QSC Power :) ] for a pair of 15's I need in the house for HT duty.

Lucas, our current Mag's will be perfect with that amount of power, let alone the new Mag's. We have 3200 watts on four Mag 15's and they laugh at the amplifier. We can bring our amp into protection on command if we want to. So 2400 watts on a pair of 15's is just about perfect!

But on topic, the new Mag's are going to be able to handle a little more power but the thing to keep in mind is that the Mag's are still going to be efficient drivers. The Mag's are going to keep doing what they're doing - and that's supplying ample SPL regardless of power input. Efficiency is something that has been forgotten in car audio recently. It seems like people like wasting power, but we like getting something for your power!

Thanks for the info Nick.

I'm going to hold out for the new ones, but just out of curiosity are there any current model Mags left in either size?

Thanks for the info Nick.

I'm going to hold out for the new ones, but just out of curiosity are there any current model Mags left in either size?

There are some 15" Mags left :)

I believe Kevin from Low-Hz was offering their remaining 15" Mags for $375 shipped.

Nick sounds like you're having loads of fun testing these drivers! Thats awesome that the new Mag will be better. I would think it would be hard considering how well the current model is doing. As for VC, no D4 option? Also how much bigger will this new Mag be over the old one? Wondering if I can make it work in my current box.

There is a possibility of dual 4 on the new Mag.

The new Mag will be substantially heavier, but it shouldn't be THAT much deeper.

You can't keep teasing us about the new Mag, just find one that works already ;)

The new Mag will be substantially heavier, but it shouldn't be THAT much deeper.

yay for me!!!

Edited by Megalomaniac

I'm still working feverishly on the Mag, so don't worry. We are also getting in the new 12" BM soon, and we are VERY excited about it! If it's anything like the 10", it will be the most efficient 12" we've ever had our hands on. And if I can grab a handful of BM 10's or 12's I'm going to run four of them in the new demo vehicle with only 1000 watts.

I have this box design I'm planning on doing for my current gen Mag that fits just right because of how the motor is cone shaped. I'm guessing since the new Mag is triple slugged, it's going to be straight across with no cone shape at the end?

I'm still working feverishly on the Mag, so don't worry. We are also getting in the new 12" BM soon, and we are VERY excited about it! If it's anything like the 10", it will be the most efficient 12" we've ever had our hands on. And if I can grab a handful of BM 10's or 12's I'm going to run four of them in the new demo vehicle with only 1000 watts.

I'm going to put a sub in my dad's car one day. The current gen Mag is awesome. How does the new 12" BM stack up to it? Also, will the new BM be better in sealed enclosures then the current BMs?

And one more question, any plans on a 10" Mag? I'll get that for my pop's car.

That's a good question and I'm glad you asked it. The new BM's are going to be MUCH happier in sealed enclosures than the current BM's are. The new BM's are a much more flexible driver than our current BM's. The new BM's won't be able to keep up with a Mag though (even our older Mag's) because, well, they're not a Mag. They're smaller in every way with softer suspensions that yield a very efficient driver that you don't need a lot of power to push.

THESE NEW SUBS SOUNDS KOOL

efficient subs ftw

We don't know the actual displacement yet, as we're still working on designs. Everything will be published once a prototype is settled on and adequate measurements are taken.