Sign in to follow this  
Electrodynamic

New Mag proto pics

There will be. Any configuration you want as long as it's Dual 2 ohm.

*laughs*

Indeed... it will be Dual-2 as well for the time being. If demand is present I am sure that Nick will investigate other options.

*laughs*

Indeed... it will be Dual-2 as well for the time being. If demand is present I am sure that Nick will investigate other options.

If this new mag is that much better then the last mag, you guys may want to consider releasing the last mag as another line. Maybe call it "Mag Classic" or something. The last and new Mag seems to be worlds apart (sort of like a Fi Q/BTL or JL W6/W7) and could easily be two different lines. That way, customers will have a choice between three lines, BM, Mag Classic, and Mag D2. And guys like me can find a second brand new Mag "Classic" without worrying about getting it used. Yeah, I'm thinking of something where "I" benefit. Also, I have a feeling there might be more demand for continuing the last mag along with the new mag, then there's demand for more voice coil options.

Can't wait to see what the new Mag can do.

Edited by king alpha

well i wanted a d4 or a d1 so i could get a 2ohm load. Even though my modded zapco can do 1 ohm, i feel more comfortable to wire at a 2 ohm load so my electrical doesnt go though hell again.

any special consideration?

Edited by Megalomaniac

"Special considerations" add extra cost to drivers and when you are doing a large run, it just doesn't make sense (economically) to have specialty parts. It drives the cost up substantially.

"Special considerations" add extra cost to drivers and when you are doing a large run, it just doesn't make sense (economically) to have specialty parts. It drives the cost up substantially.

We have another proto sitting in the warehouse now. This proto might be the one that finally makes the cut. Appearance-wise it makes the cut but we'll put it though its paces tonight and I'll report on how it holds up to the power testing later on tonight.

As far as coil options go, we haven't had enough demand to warrant running production runs based off of anything other than the dual 2 configuration. In other words, the new Mag's will come as Dual 2 configurations only (just as with the previous models).

And on the note of continuing the current driver as another line, it's really not worth it. We are upgrading the Mag, as we constantly strive to improve on our products. The Mag is our big-boy, our no-compromise driver when it comes to an SQ driver that you can also win competitions with. Flat out, if something sounds better, it's far less loud. And if something is louder, it sounds worse. We don't see any need to continue a product that has been improved on...especially since it will cost the same.

Wow, Soooo glad to hear about this, my mag has hit the 100,000 mile mark with not even a hiccup, if the new one is better (still trying to comprehend how that could be possible) then I'm in NO QUESTIONS ASKED.

Wow, Soooo glad to hear about this, my mag has hit the 100,000 mile mark with not even a hiccup, if the new one is better (still trying to comprehend how that could be possible) then I'm in NO QUESTIONS ASKED.

Hey Kevin, glad to see you on the board! And also glad to hear that the Mag is still kicking. ;) The 8454 is still in my posession - a friend of my father's tried jip'ing me out of it for $200 recently. Riiiiiight. :finger:

But, I suppose an update is in order on the proto: The new proto we got was visually spectacular! The moving parts are exactly what we are looking for - a new STIFF paper cone, great surround, spiders, woven (but not really) leads, etc.

However, it didn't make the cut. It had some issues with staying in alignment so we tested it thermally and made a few glue joints fail after 15 minutes of 2.8k watts or so about an octave below tuning.

[

However, it didn't make the cut. It had some issues with staying in alignment so we tested it thermally and made a few glue joints fail after 15 minutes of 2.8k watts or so about an octave below tuning.

Crazy you test your drivers for things customers shouldn't do. I guess that's what quality assurance is all about.

I guess I should just pick up an old one.

Hey Kevin, glad to see you on the board! And also glad to hear that the Mag is still kicking. ;) The 8454 is still in my posession - a friend of my father's tried jip'ing me out of it for $200 recently. Riiiiiight. :finger:

But, I suppose an update is in order on the proto: The new proto we got was visually spectacular! The moving parts are exactly what we are looking for - a new STIFF paper cone, great surround, spiders, woven (but not really) leads, etc.

Hey Nick....Been busy as hell at work, but things are calming down for a bit, I have a little breathing room for the first time in months. You have a customer for life here, but if you decide to torture test one, let me know, I rack up miles and hours quick (1200-2000 a week) and will be more than happy to take one from the desert to 14,000 feet and everywhere between. The Mag I have now has played cleanly from -30 degrees up to 114 degrees, from sea level to 14,000 feet with no adverse effects....if you don't include the hearing loss :Doh: When they are ready, put me down for a couple.

1200-2000 mi a week is HUGE, I thought I travelled a lot. You my friend must also never be home :(

[

Crazy you test your drivers for things customers shouldn't do. I guess that's what quality assurance is all about.

Make no mistake, Mag's are still coming soon. I'm not willing to come out with a driver that isn't 100%. And yes, we TORTURE our drivers. For the record, it survived full-exucrsion for 15 minutes at 2.2-2.8k watts before it let go. And that's a driver that we're going to rate at 1000 watts.

[

Make no mistake, Mag's are still coming soon. I'm not willing to come out with a driver that isn't 100%. And yes, we TORTURE our drivers. For the record, it survived full-exucrsion for 15 minutes at 2.2-2.8k watts before it let go. And that's a driver that we're going to rate at 1000 watts.

Just so I can better grasp the process...Once you find an acceptable proto, how long until they begin selling. Just in general, I know you cannot predict the future.

Just so I can better grasp the process...Once you find an acceptable proto, how long until they begin selling. Just in general, I know you cannot predict the future.

Once we find an acceptable proto, 2 months.

Send me those videos we talked about this morning, and Kevin, I'll be home tomorrow and have that money on it's way to you!

I want to come spend a day watching you "break-in" a proto, gotta be a good time.

1200-2000 mi a week is HUGE, I thought I travelled a lot. You my friend must also never be home :(

That is a sad fact, but I get paid for it so what the hell :horse: But....I am slow for the next month or so, so I should be around again for awhile.

Send me those videos we talked about this morning, and Kevin, I'll be home tomorrow and have that money on it's way to you!

Take your time, I got the amps sold local to a buddy so the PA2 has your name all over it.

I want to come spend a day watching you "break-in" a proto, gotta be a good time.

It usually takes less than 1 hour, but it's still a damned good time! Most people would cringe during our testing procedures, but it's good clean fun...well, it's usually not so clean at the end of the test. :)

[

Off topic, but what kind of Torture did the current Mag survive? I'm guessing you guys beat the living chit out of that driver too.

We put the current Mag through the wringer too. It saw in excess of 2800 watts numerous times. We don't hold anything back on any of our potential drivers. If something we churn out is rated at 1000 watts, rest asured that sucker has taken 2000 watts without blowing up. :)

You know, you may just be reconing a pair of drivers for me instead of one. Which also reminds me I have to get my ass to the paint shop.