Sign in to follow this  
MKader17

Looking for a New Vehicle

I'm looking for a new vehicle. Something like an suv or truck. I've been looking at Jeep Cherokee, Dodge Durango,and the Land Rover Discovery, Early 2000 models. I'm really leaning toward to Land rover as they are almost all leather with sunroofs. I was just wondering how good these cars are as far as Stock Quietness, Window seals, ability to add speakers (my next system will be a 3 way active so fitting that in there will be key.)

Also if anyone knows any similar vehicles they have liked gimme a shout and I'll take a look.

Land Rover's are terrible when it comes to keeping them running, really not worth the hassle. My sis has one she can't get rid of, on the average it eats a good $400 a month in repairs and has been off warranty a whopping 10 months. Run like hell from them. Hers isn't the only horror story I have heard, but nonetheless I am permanently soured.

When you say audio favorable, what sort or size of system do you expect you want to put in?

I'm looking for a 3 way active (8's, 3-4" mids, Silk tweet) and probably a single 12 600RMS or 2 12's 1000-1500RMS. Looking to get quality with some volume (isn't everyone though lol). That really saddens me on the LR my friend just got one and its been good but its only been 2 months)

Stay away from the land rover and dodge.

I much rather have German over Japanese in most instances

German's don't build a lot of suv's.

i'd lean towards something Japanese

Not to brag my own truck any.. but the 05-08 Tacomas can take up to an 8" mid in the door plus a 2" tweet. You could easily go three-way with the cavities that are in the panel.

Another nice thing is the Access Cab (extended essentially) and the Double cab. The double cab can fit subs and amps behind the back seats while the access cab can take a massive ported box in the rear section if you don't care about passengers (hey, its a truck).

There are pics of my truck here

Not to brag my own truck any.. but the 05-08 Tacomas can take up to an 8" mid in the door plus a 2" tweet. You could easily go three-way with the cavities that are in the panel.

Another nice thing is the Access Cab (extended essentially) and the Double cab. The double cab can fit subs and amps behind the back seats while the access cab can take a massive ported box in the rear section if you don't care about passengers (hey, its a truck).

There are pics of my truck here

You tease, we want pics of the inside!!! :)

Mercedes, BMW, Audi, Volkswagen, and Porsche all have SUV's.

While more expensive, the German cars are nicer.

The Japanese contenders will likely last just as long, and are still quite nice.

The one Japanese SUV (92 4RUNNER) I owned, was the single worst car I have ever driven. Thou it did get loud...and the back glass rolls down, which is nice once you've had it.

The Japanese contenders will likely last just as long, and are still quite nice.

The one Japanese SUV (92 4RUNNER) I owned, was the single worst car I have ever driven. Thou it did get loud...and the back glass rolls down, which is nice once you've had it.

I loved the hell out of my 86 K5 Blazer (one of the big ones) V8 power, huge alt. and 8 15' CV Strokers,

Dont get me wrong i like the imports but theres nothing like good old US power. Had to pull the cap off and and put a completely new seal on and got rid of the rear side windows. wish i still had pics of it.

Land Rover's are terrible when it comes to keeping them running, really not worth the hassle. My sis has one she can't get rid of, on the average it eats a good $400 a month in repairs and has been off warranty a whopping 10 months. Run like hell from them. Hers isn't the only horror story I have heard, but nonetheless I am permanently soured.

When you say audio favorable, what sort or size of system do you expect you want to put in?

I wonder if this holds true just for the newer models or if the older ones have the same issues, I have a friend who's daily driver is an ex-Spanish army Series II and I don't think he's had any major issues beyond normal upkeep for a vehicle of that era.

All the German SUV's I know aren't really made with audio, quietness, window seals, or leather seats in mind :D

All the German SUV's I know aren't really made with audio, quietness, window seals, or leather seats in mind :D

BMW uses HarmonKardon...

.....wait.....

Did you just say that Japanese cars have better audio, quietness, window seals, and leather seats, than the GERMANS?!?!?!

ROTFFLMAO

You've been sniffing too much silver solder flux fumes, homey.

for lots of road use they're great, but once you take them offroad :(

only german 4x4 i'd buy is a G-class :finger:

a friend took me for a ride in his lightly modded '88...

Chevy Blazer, Chevy Tahoe, Ford Explorer, maybe a newish Toyota 4-Runner.

The more I see of the newer Tahoes, the more I'd like to have one for a SPL system. Since I don't have $30k to blow on a toy audio system, I think I'll file that away with my dreams of owning a Porsche.

for lots of road use they're great, but once you take them offroad :(

only german 4x4 i'd buy is a G-class :finger:

a friend took me for a ride in his lightly modded '88...

Gwagon is F-N schweet.

Yes, 4x4 and "suv" are 2 TOTALLY different things.

If you want a 4x4 the land rover is your machine. If you want fast, the Porsche is the vehicle for you. If you want power and comfort, BMW. More interested in comfort? Mercedes.

All of them are a good base for a LSQ setup.

ha, no thanks on the scion. I might be endeing up with a Nissan Xterra I really wish it was 4wd but it will be 2wd. But I did notice the bootom half of the door panel detaches as the speaker. Custom Fiberglass panels babae! also the tweets are pillar mounted

Lots of worse choices than that.

How new are you looking, and what kind of price range are you looking?