kingsham

I wanna get loud...but i wanna sound good

Im set on the quality of Mahc 5 and its good reputation with customer service...so when i get the cash...ill be getting 2 15inch MAWs

I want LSQ...a good mix...and from what i hear the maw sound good comparable to and IDQ, hit the lows, and get decently loud.

For strictly LSQ would u go:

3.5 Sealed

-or-

7 Ported tuned to 30hz

???????????????

:unsure::unsure:

or

IXL-18.4 ported 7 cu. ft tuned to 28hz or 5 cu ft. sealed

the speaker(s) would be going in a 1977 Buick Regal Coupe

Edited by kingsham

What you're looking for is mutually exclusive.

Actual LSQ involves more than just a sub. What else do you have?

im thinkin bout going with a good pair of 6x9 coaxial....components in the front doors...

its a old car...so until i get my dampening in its gonna rattle...the outside...

I've really been leanin towards that 18.4IXL b/c very few people run 18's...especially in their car...plus the sound quality of a sealed box..w/high excursion output...hmm...wat u think bout that?

You're not looking for Loud Sound Quality with 6x9's.

You're looking for SPL.

You need to get a better front stage than some coaxials for LSQ.

i had a thread some time ago...and was told that a good pair of coaxial 6x9's would do me good...keep in mind im in high school and this is my first system...so everything isnt going to be perfect... but i wanna sound good on a budget...but be loud on a budget! :D

i have an older kenwood amp...that i would be running my frontstage with...its older...its kenwood...but it puts out good clean power

so maybe...dual component sets(6.5s)...in the rear deck(would require mod) and in front door(would require mod)

the rear deck has 6x9s in it...stock so maybe a 6x9 component set would be ok with proper crossover and amp settings?

but also what are yalls opinions on my sub choices?

i had a thread some time ago...and was told that a good pair of coaxial 6x9's would do me good...keep in mind im in high school and this is my first system...so everything isnt going to be perfect... but i wanna sound good on a budget...but be loud on a budget! :D

i have an older kenwood amp...that i would be running my frontstage with...its older...its kenwood...but it puts out good clean power

so maybe...dual component sets(6.5s)...in the rear deck(would require mod) and in front door(would require mod)

the rear deck has 6x9s in it...stock so maybe a 6x9 component set would be ok with proper crossover and amp settings?

but also what are yalls opinions on my sub choices?

What car do you have..and what year ?

if you run a set of diamond audio 6x9's in the rear that will be more then enough to keep you happy...you can get them on ebay for like 100 bucks now i think....now front stage thats all on you, but for rear fill/i have an 18 in the trunk nothing else would come close to the output of the 6x9's for overall bang for the buck sound stage

mr420 has been hittin' the pipe. You don't need any rear speakers and in fact they would defeat your first goal completely, assuming that it actually is a real goal. What you do need is a nice set of components in the front, a good detailed install, and a subwoofer and amplifier. In an SQ setup the sub is the LEAST important part, the rest isn't.

Considering your age and most likely your goals I'd go with a big ported box. If it is "too" much you can always swap it out later real easily with a sealed enclosure.

i run an active front stage, two 6.5's and two tweets off a four channel amp, sub does around 140 db on music. i can hear every word and guiter strum perfectly clear, while still having a huge amount of bass. i don't have any rear speakers at all. you don't really need them. a properly set up front stage will make you not even notice the rears arent there.

why not do 2 MJ-18's in 7cu.ft sealed? that will be LOUD SQ right there

thats alot of space!

7 cubes sealed is alot but u wanted to do 7 cubes ported? lol

good point....i talked to denim...and i came down to this the IXL and the SSD w/ copper coil

18 vs. 18

opinions please....

ps can this thread be moved to Speakers/subwoofers?

mr420 has been hittin' the pipe. You don't need any rear speakers and in fact they would defeat your first goal completely, assuming that it actually is a real goal. What you do need is a nice set of components in the front, a good detailed install, and a subwoofer and amplifier. In an SQ setup the sub is the LEAST important part, the rest isn't.

Considering your age and most likely your goals I'd go with a big ported box. If it is "too" much you can always swap it out later real easily with a sealed enclosure.

i actually like running real fill and 6x9s do the trick for me....i mean chit some of us like having people in the car and feel that you cant have big subs on all of the damn time....i turn off my subs and just enjoy a real nice overal sound stage...but its all personal pref i guess.

i actually like running real fill and 6x9s do the trick for me....i mean chit some of us like having people in the car and feel that you cant have big subs on all of the damn time....i turn off my subs and just enjoy a real nice overal sound stage...but its all personal pref i guess.

So where in your stage do the rears fit??? Exactly, nowhere. As for your big subs comment obviously you need a tuning lesson. If you can ever localize your subs they aren't tuned right or you are a basshead. Also, 6x9's are a joke. Yes I do realize there are some that are decent but if you arbitrarily select 100 different 6x9's there might be one pair that is actually worth a chit. It is the most underdesigned speaker shape there is. Components will generically smoke them in output and clarity across the board.

PS. I also like having people in my car and truck and to this day no-one has ever complained about the lack of rear speakers in fact it is quite the opposite. I get comments from the back seat all the time amazed at how clean sounding and loud my system plays.

same here. and the the hell is an overall "sounds stage"?? most people can't believe/tell i don't have rear speakers.

My stage is better in my back seat than in front, because of path length differences.

P.S. No rear speakers.

Although, I had some newb ask me where my center channel was. I told him it was in my doors.

Um this is to mrogowski...for car audio...a LSQ oriented setup...

IXL18.4 what type of sealed box(cu ft.)...or what size and tunning ported box...!

Thanks

Well, simply put, the IXL-18.4 is a low end monster. Regardless what size of box you chose to go with, the IXL will dig deep - more than the average car audio folk is used to.

If you want something that will pound (which I believe you do) I would suggest a 6 cube box tuned to 26Hz. This will give you a nice bass "hump" right where it counts. You can then tailor the sound to your liking using your deck/eq/etc.

For tuning, you can use one 6" port 15" long (or 13.5" if you go flared).

Best,

Mark

Well, simply put, the IXL-18.4 is a low end monster. Regardless what size of box you chose to go with, the IXL will dig deep - more than the average car audio folk is used to.

If you want something that will pound (which I believe you do) I would suggest a 6 cube box tuned to 26Hz. This will give you a nice bass "hump" right where it counts. You can then tailor the sound to your liking using your deck/eq/etc.

For tuning, you can use one 6" port 15" long (or 13.5" if you go flared).

Best,

Mark

sounds good!

now what type of port size am i looking at if i go...with a slot port(lengh and width and area)

Whoops! Got my numbers all fudged up. Ignore my statement on the port size/length above...

For a slotted port you can go with 3" x 19" - 32" long.

same here. and the the hell is an overall "sounds stage"?? most people can't believe/tell i don't have rear speakers.

It's quite literally how the system reproduces what's happening on stage. If the singer is right in the center, close to the mic, the system should reproduce that accurately. If there's a saxophone slightly to the left of her, well, the system should do that too. This is why listening to high end stuff can be useful, it's helpful when you know for a certain recording what it's supposed to sound like.

I'm starting to wish that the "SQL" word filter be taken off, 99.9% of the people who use it aren't using it correctly, true Loud Sound Quality has very little to do with getting the subs loud. Yes, you need to have subwoofer(s) to play reference levels accurately without distorting, but getting your front stage to play that loud without distorting, and with correct spatial placing is a lot harder. I think a lot of people think that LSQ just means you can hear the words over the bass...which isn't true at all.