kingsham

I wanna get loud...but i wanna sound good

Add, to play SQ loud, you need midrange that doesn't get harsh, muddy & metallic sounding too.

same here. and the the hell is an overall "sounds stage"?? most people can't believe/tell i don't have rear speakers.

It's quite literally how the system reproduces what's happening on stage. If the singer is right in the center, close to the mic, the system should reproduce that accurately. If there's a saxophone slightly to the left of her, well, the system should do that too. This is why listening to high end stuff can be useful, it's helpful when you know for a certain recording what it's supposed to sound like.

I'm starting to wish that the SQL word filter be taken off, 99.9% of the people who use it aren't using it correctly, true Loud Sound Quality has very little to do with getting the subs loud. Yes, you need to have subwoofer(s) to play reference levels accurately without distorting, but getting your front stage to play that loud without distorting, and with correct spatial placing is a lot harder. I think a lot of people think that LSQ just means you can hear the words over the bass...which isn't true at all.

I say take the filter off and I know I am the cause of it, however, we need to write a sticky then that explains that no one can use the word SQL either. I effin' hate that phrase. I think your definition of hearing the words is about right. Perhaps a pre-post sticky that defines how to ask for what you are looking for could be really helpful.

Before this turns into a firestorm...lol

Can strue SQ be achieved with a 18inch woofer?

I understand sound quality...but am i getting this confuesed with SPL. I dont want a true SPL system...

I wanna "WANG"...when i turn it WAAAAAAY up, but when im listening at a normal level i want to hear the nuances of the music and feel it in its entirety...? Can it be done with an 18...?

If was to scrap this whole 18 idea...what do i do then...?

Edited by kingsham

Im pretty set in my mind now...

IXL 18.4 in a 6 cu. ft. box tuned to 26 hz(according to mrgrowski)...with 57 inches of port area...(19x3)(legnth inside is 32)...for monster low end and good SQ.

But on my front stage issues...what do u all reccomeend and where do i putem...? Old car...dashboard, door, ect?(1977 Buick Regal)

mr420 has been hittin' the pipe. You don't need any rear speakers and in fact they would defeat your first goal completely, assuming that it actually is a real goal. What you do need is a nice set of components in the front, a good detailed install, and a subwoofer and amplifier. In an SQ setup the sub is the LEAST important part, the rest isn't.

Considering your age and most likely your goals I'd go with a big ported box. If it is "too" much you can always swap it out later real easily with a sealed enclosure.

i actually like running real fill and 6x9s do the trick for me....i mean chit some of us like having people in the car and feel that you cant have big subs on all of the damn time....i turn off my subs and just enjoy a real nice overal sound stage...but its all personal pref i guess.

So where in your stage do the rears fit??? Exactly, nowhere. As for your big subs comment obviously you need a tuning lesson. If you can ever localize your subs they aren't tuned right or you are a basshead. Also, 6x9's are a joke. Yes I do realize there are some that are decent but if you arbitrarily select 100 different 6x9's there might be one pair that is actually worth a chit. It is the most underdesigned speaker shape there is. Components will generically smoke them in output and clarity across the board.

PS. I also like having people in my car and truck and to this day no-one has ever complained about the lack of rear speakers in fact it is quite the opposite. I get comments from the back seat all the time amazed at how clean sounding and loud my system plays.

im not going to get into a big war on this board because i see how you feel on this subject....there is nothing i can say here that would change the "experts" on this board...

but what you are trying to say here is very wrong....yes just having a front stage only sounds good and people that dont really know audio will think its the best....its all personal pref in the end since it is your car....but to try and psuedo flaim me because rear fill is what i like and i happen to think its vital to a system is total bs.

im not going to keep this flaim shyt going because its pointless you're right and im wrong....*cries*

but if this kid or any other member on here that wants to go and seek advice from real car audio experts that build,compete and have won many world & regonal titles over the years....just head on down to the carsound board and see what the other side of the street has to say about system installs....those are great guys there and they dont try and spit the gospel to you...its just a group of guys that have been the recognized leaders and in the mobile sound field for the past 25 years..

Edited by mr 420

why are 6x9's so bad then?

but for this setup...the 18 will be fine corret?

Edited by kingsham

Mainly because 99% of 6x9s on the market are not designed with strong enough cones to hold up to the uneven pressures during excursion, and also, most tout this 4-way or 3-way capability, which in reality, they just have a golden turd on the top of them.

Yes, 18 will be fine.

good...what are some component sets that yall reccomend? in the 200 and under range...?

I would highly recommend going and listening to those Quarts before buying them. If you haven't heard them you may either end up in love or hate depending on your preferences.

rofl at mr420 and one quick suggestion. Go and listen to a well installed car stereo once with only a dedicated and well designed front stage and it will be very clear to you why everything you have stated about rear fill is wrong. Very, very clear.

I would highly recommend going and listening to those Quarts before buying them. If you haven't heard them you may either end up in love or hate depending on your preferences.

rofl at mr420 and one quick suggestion. Go and listen to a well installed car stereo once with only a dedicated and well designed front stage and it will be very clear to you why everything you have stated about rear fill is wrong. Very, very clear.

Ahh I understand...what are some other component sets that yall recommend for just good all-around sound?

look at my post before. trust me, you wont be disappointed

those look nice...I AM A keep my eyes and ears open for more suggestions and what not...

but sealed or ported on the ixl18.4?

What is the displacement for the ixl...in cu ft?

jus to start up some more arguements....

mj18 vs. ixl18.4 for true sq?

lol....i love it when people argue!

Edited by kingsham

What is the displacement for the ixl...in cu ft?

jus to start up some more arguements....

lol....i love it when people argue!

The IXLl is just a meaner kind of beast. If you have the space, its the way to go. ;)

Not exactly a fair comparison...

Not exactly a fair comparison...

less wattage=less distorition...maybe?