What would you do...the correct post

What would you do for a show car  

7 members have voted

1. 1. What would you put in a Charger SRT show car

• 4 10's sealed
    • 2 12's ported
    • 2 12's sealed
    • 1 15 ported

This is going in a show car. Right now I am leaning towards sealed cause they can be made to look so much nicer and still sound good. It needs to get really loud, but will probably never see a car audio competition. If this poll doesnt work, i give up.

4 10's sealed.

not 100% sure but i think they beat all other options as far as cone area goes.

I'd put a bomb in it. Damn Chryslers. . .

Are you walling it off, trunk install? ? ? ?

If trunk install, 4 ICON 10's would be my choice. ;)

Whore.

I say a 15 ib'd would look killer.

That's the ticket, plus being a show car, the trunk would be popped at shows, so it would be true infinite baffle.

I love every Dodge I ever owned. Besides, Chrysler may be affiliated with Dodge, but they don't really touch them. Kinda like how Dell computers suck, but they own AlienWare who is one of the best manufacturers. Or even Ford, love Fords, but they own Jaguar....which are little POS cars that break down moment the warranty even gets close to expiring.

Wow, my wife was arguing that 4 10's would not come close to winnin this poll and so far they have every vote. And it is a trunk install, much like all the ones you see in magazines. Probably baffled off, plexiglass here and there, and some red neons to make it glow.

Edited by Xibalba

That's the ticket, plus being a show car, the trunk would be popped at shows, so it would be true infinite baffle.

Well, at a car show you are not usually wanging away. It is not a sound competition. At least, not as fat as I know. So, I think it would look sweet.

i voted 2 12's because you have soo soo soo much more room for amps and look good accessorys.

and plus ported ownz.(i like ported boxes way more then sealed ones)

Whore.

I say a 15 ib'd would look killer.

I said it would be my choice. :P

I also would have voted for a 15 or 18 IB'd way over any of the other options.

My problem is I keep changin my mind. Now that I am picturing 1 15 ported, and put a very nice built and planned box to match my interior, it does look pretty pimp. 2 12's would sound a lot louder in a ported setup, but i can't really picture a great lookin setup with that one, so i will have to keep that in mind. when it comes to 4 10's sealed, box builds are limitless as to design just about.

an IB would sound the best huh? I have honestly never seen a car with an infinite baffle and have no clue about them, so this will take some research? Can they usually produce a nice amount of vibrations? I want it to look great, but I love my little vibrations and the feel of some SPL.

I'd say either 4 10's or a 15/18 IB. All the other options really don't have a wow factor in my opinion, many other people have done it, yours would just be in a pretty box. IB sounds awesome, it just will take a lil more work to keep everything looking clean. But it's a show car so whats a little more work? ;)

Unless he is going for things like MOPAR and NOPI shows, in which the total package is what is looked at, not just looks.

Edited by Mathman

I never heard an IB before! How do they compared to a general sealed enclosure? I heard they are not always quite as good, but I have no clue. I know the subs cant handle as much power, will they still get as loud as a sealed setup? Right now I am pretty set on 4 10's, esp since my old lady is puttin her foot down with 4 10's as it is. Not sure if sealed or IB though. You got it right Mathman, that is exactly what I am going for, an all around show vehicle. Its gotta sound as good as it looks.

I never heard an IB before! How do they compared to a general sealed enclosure? I heard they are not always quite as good, but I have no clue. I know the subs cant handle as much power, will they still get as loud as a sealed setup? Right now I am pretty set on 4 10's, esp since my old lady is puttin her foot down with 4 10's as it is. Not sure if sealed or IB though.

Depends on the driver really.

Ideal IB drivers should have a high VAS, higher QTS (>0.4) & low FS. If you want great low end output, a high XMAX, or multiple drivers as well (although I barely use any of my capable throw while listening to music). There is no other alignment IMO that provides low end extension & accuracy. IB is very basically a infinitely large sealed enclosure. The typical sealed enclosure gets close with respect to accuracy, but not output (due to the low freq. roll off due to the enclosure). I run my single 15" IB LP @ 45Hz, and was able to meter it @ 133.6dB (TL @ legal dash location) at 32Hz.

Power wise, the thermal power handling is no longer considered, but the mechanical handling. All subs are normally rated @ their thermal handling, so it is a good estimate to say that it can handle half the thermal power level in an IB configuration. I was maybe using 300-350W to achieve the above stated output level.

Going with IB depends a ton on what other drivers you are using as well... you need great midbass response to do it properly.

I was thinkin of getting Scott to set me up with some Q's made for IB, hearing that he has done it a few times before. As for mids and highs, I am lookin at getting 2 sets of RE's XXX comp set. Heard them a couple times and they blew me away....but in my area something like those are amazing components. Everyone here has Kicker and junk like that.

Kicker makes a good component set... the SS series.

Really, if you are going to do it right, you will want to move up to a 8" or dual 6.5" midbass & go active with the crossovers.

If you want to see an example of IB & the install I performed to accompany it, click on my project log link in my signature.

And, Scott has customized Q's for the HT crowd, and it is a good option.

I have been to every car show in my general area and not one person has had an IB. My area is "dirty south" territory so its all systems that have so much bass and no mids and highs, so I wanna do something different and right....let them see how it really is done. So you are saying put 8's in the doors where my 6.5's usually go and add the tweets where they usually belong. Put like 4 10" Q's in the trunk. That sounds kinda nice now that i think about it.

Pretty much the jist.

The doors in those cars should have enough room for a 8 (stock 6x9)... not sure about depth.

Driver selection really depends if you want to go active or not & driver selection dictates installation locations. A 3way would allow you to use a dedicated midbass... while a 2way system will have to use a midbass/midrange driver that is VERY good off-axis & some well placed time correction.