pimpedout97x

MINI Cooper Wall Worklog

Denim said it was ok for me to make a new thread.

i really like how the box is turning out. keep in mind im not done at all, so dont think its just gonna be like this. its getting braced up real good, and the inside is getting resined.

the pics you've been waiting for...

the cuts (just back, bottom, and sides)

DSCF1921.jpg

quick mock-up

DSCF1924.jpg

tite bond is the ****

DSCF1935.jpg

DSCF1934.jpg

DSCF1933.jpg

DSCF1936.jpg

DSCF1937.jpg

DSCF1938.jpg

DSCF1939.jpg

DSCF1940.jpg

DSCF1941.jpg

DSCF1943.jpg

my mids/highs will be in this little enclosure at the top.

DSCF1942.jpg

the satisfaction of doing it yourself is great. its coming out pretty good IMO.

im happy :)

added bracing

cant do 2x4s on the sides tho, no room or the box wont fit in the car.

i think im gonna do either all thread, or 2x4s internally, angled (45's) not sure yet.

DSCF1944.jpg

DSCF1945.jpg

DSCF1947.jpg

DSCF1946.jpg

the victim

DSCF1950.jpg

DSCF1948.jpg

gotta rep flspl

DSCF1949.jpg

Those windows are hella dark. Why not just spray paint them black? lol.

Looks great man.

front will be double.

the back is VERY sturdy with those 2x4s + 3/4" birch.

its literally like 3 layers or 3/4, and hella cheaper.

i cant fit the 2x4s on the sides like that tho, so ill have to figure out a way to brace that, either all thread, or internal 45 degree 2x4s

Those windows are hella dark. Why not just spray paint them black? lol.

Looks great man.

i just got a ticket for the windshield tint last week

first tint ticket in almost 4 years man....and ive had my windshields tinted on all my cars since i turned 16.

front will be double.

i cant fit the 2x4s on the sides like that tho, so ill have to figure out a way to brace that, either all thread, or internal 45 degree 2x4s

Why not stack 2x4's down the entire length of the back, they seem pretty haphazardly placed where they are in the photos...

If it was me I'd be worried about internal crosspieces affecting airflow, Allthread seems like the better idea.

front will be double.

Why not stack 2x4's down the entire length of the back, they seem pretty haphazardly placed where they are in the photos...

If it was me I'd be worried about internal crosspieces affecting airflow, Allthread seems like the better idea.

i may do the allthread.

to be completely honest with you, it doesnt need to be completely stacked with 2x4s. the spaces in between you cant feel when you knock on the inside, it feels as the whole board is 3" thick.

we did the same thing on my explorer wall before we took it out, and each panel was 100% sturdy.

ANeon: to each his own.

also, does resining the inside help alot? im going to do it anyways, just curious. does it do anything else besides seel any leaks? do you use mat, or just resin the wood?

to be completely honest with you, it doesnt need to be completely stacked with 2x4s.

To be completely honest with you, how do you know? :)

What you have now, even with threaded bracing, looks awfully flimsy.

well its all i can have. itll work. trust me. like i said, its not done. i know what needs to be done to brace a box for this big of a sub, even as stupid as you guys think i am, i know...you may be laughing behind your PC monitor, but i dont care...it will be braced more than enough when im done :)

thursday is the next workday on this BTW.

front will be double.

i may do the allthread.

to be completely honest with you, it doesnt need to be completely stacked with 2x4s. the spaces in between you cant feel when you knock on the inside, it feels as the whole board is 3" thick.

we did the same thing on my explorer wall before we took it out, and each panel was 100% sturdy.

ANeon: to each his own.

It's not "to each his own" when we're talking about the safety of other people. Your safety we all couldn't care less about, but we do care about other people.

Your safety we all couldn't care less about, but we do care about other people.

At least he's built in an automatic early warning system. If you hear this Mini Cooper coming that sounds like it's about to fall apart, you know that the driver can't see and immediately go the other way :D

Your safety we all couldn't care less about, but we do care about other people.

At least he's built in an automatic early warning system. If you hear this Mini Cooper coming that sounds like it's about to fall apart, you know that the driver can't see and immediately go the other way :D

Why thank you Jim. I shall remember this important warning next time I'm traveling in the Tampa/St. Pete region.

see, thats the type of stuff thats uncalled for, and you know it. i havent even PUT THE WALL IN YET, how do you guys know how its going to be bolted down? how many other hundreds of people have walls, do theres come flying out?

im not gonna argue, im just going to post pics. Acidburn, that was COMPLETELY uncalled for.

Edited by pimpedout97x

see, thats the type of stuff thats uncalled for, and you know it. i havent even PUT THE WALL IN YET, how do you guys know how its going to be bolted down? how many other hundreds of people have walls, do theres come flying out?

im not gonna argue, im just going to post pics. Acidburn, that was COMPLETELY uncalled for.

We made no mention of how the box was going to be bolted down. That was not what we were talking about.

And in my opinion, being concerned for the safety of others is COMPLETELY called for.

When you build a wall/box, you have a choice. Do you want it permanent or removable? A removable box/wall offers the benefit of being able to work on things easier, changing your complete setup more easily, or removing it altogether easily. I have a prefab sealed box in my trunk for that purpose. If I want it out, it slides out.

If you want quality, you have to maximize every inch possible. You can't do that and still be able to return completely to stock. You'll either have holes in the trim/floor/whatever, or you'll have adhesive.

If you don't...just imagine 600 lbs. sliding forward and pinning you to your steering wheel.....fun fun.

I guarantee all those walls that you're talking about that you've seen...are permanent. And it's for that simple fact, they aren't going anywhere.

I'd quote Red Foreman at this point, but I think the filter would get me.

When you build a wall/box, you have a choice. Do you want it permanent or removable? A removable box/wall offers the benefit of being able to work on things easier, changing your complete setup more easily, or removing it altogether easily. I have a prefab sealed box in my trunk for that purpose. If I want it out, it slides out.

If you want quality, you have to maximize every inch possible. You can't do that and still be able to return completely to stock. You'll either have holes in the trim/floor/whatever, or you'll have adhesive.

If you don't...just imagine 600 lbs. sliding forward and pinning you to your steering wheel.....fun fun.

I guarantee all those walls that you're talking about that you've seen...are permanent. And it's for that simple fact, they aren't going anywhere.

I'd quote Red Foreman at this point, but I think the filter would get me.

We've tried...believe me, it's just easier to let him do whatever he's going to do :)

I'd love to see the first time he drives that thing, hits the brakes and his wall slides up and hits his seat, haha

I'm in the process of planning a wall right now, but it sure as hell won't be in a daily driver, haha

also, does resining the inside help alot? im going to do it anyways, just curious. does it do anything else besides seel any leaks? do you use mat, or just resin the wood?

if you really want to use resin, i've seen people add mat to it. so it's basically a layer of fiberglass ;)