Sign in to follow this  
eclipsepb25

question about safety of running a SAZ1500 at .5 ohm

im about to get a 15" Fi BTL fully loaded with cooling, 3rd magnet, and HiXmax coil. I want to get a dual 1 ohm and run it with a SAZ1500 at .5 ohm. from several people though i hear its actually at like .7 ohm because the coils have an impedance rise at .5, correct me if im wrong. But to back it up i plan on doing the big 3 with 0 awg, then a new 160 amp alt (upgrading from the stock 70 amp one), then i want to get a kinetik 16V with a run of 0 awg to the amp or would be better off going a 12V 2400? just please tell me how safe this would be since i know .5 isnt covered under warranty anymore. or would i just better off all together just getting a dual 2 and running it at 1 ohm even though the BTL is 2000W RMS. please give me input.... thanks! -wes

2400 12v is what you want and if you do the electrical upgrades mentioned you'll be fine. I've been running my 1500D's strapped at 1.5, so .75ohms each for about 4 months now with zero issues. VERY solid amps...

2400 12v is what you want and if you do the electrical upgrades mentioned you'll be fine. I've been running my 1500D's strapped at 1.5, so .75ohms each for about 4 months now with zero issues. VERY solid amps...

but i mean, if i dont plan on strapping two should i be fine? if i just get one 1500SAZ and run it at the .5-.7 ohm or what ever it is after the impedance rise is. like i said, if i get all of the electrical upgrades that is? or should i get the dual 2 and run it at 1500 at 1 ohm even though the BTL is rated at 2000 RMS. please keep in mind like i said that the BTL im getting is fully loaded and in a nice box with bracing and thhiiiccck wood so the box is not falling apart.

I'm saying if you do the upgrades you plan on then running it at .5ohm will be fine, just not covered by warranty any longer.

The amps were originally under warranty at .5ohm and they haven't changed, so just feed feed it enough juice and it'll be fine. You can find a post on why he had to drop warranty coverage, but needless to say it had nothing to do with the amps themselves ;)

there is a difference between not being warrantied under .5 ohms and not being stable at .5 ohms...

this amp CAN go down to .5 ohms but will not be warrantied at that impedance...

As far as electrical

you will need at LEAST one of the following (both would be better)

a 200 amp alt or an extra battery (like a kinetik or powermaster)...

there is a difference between not being warrantied under .5 ohms and not being stable at .5 ohms...

As far as electrical

One of the guys who works with me in edmonton is running one at .5 ohm daily on a 105 amp alt and a redtop. It runs fine, never gone to protect. They are correct in saying that the amp will not be warrantied, but it is stable at .5 ohms.

However, that said, if you are gonna upgrade your batteries and alt anyways, why not just pop a 3100 under the hood, backed by a 200 amp alt and give the BTL what it really wants...a SAZ-3000D?

As far as electrical

One of the guys who works with me in edmonton is running one at .5 ohm daily on a 105 amp alt and a redtop. It runs fine, never gone to protect. They are correct in saying that the amp will not be warrantied, but it is stable at .5 ohms.

However, that said, if you are gonna upgrade your batteries and alt anyways, why not just pop a 3100 under the hood, backed by a 200 amp alt and give the BTL what it really wants...a SAZ-3000D?

Yes, a 1500D will run at .5ohms, all day and wont hurt anything, but OVERTIME, it will finally break something. Will it happen today? Maybe not? 6 months down teh road? Maybe.

Just to give ya a heads up.

And yes, A 1500d on a BTL is a semi waste. IMO a BL will be louder on that power.

Edited by ford302redneck

Just as a note... very few 1500Ds have come back to me, even from the ones warrantied at 1/2 ohm. I do not recommend it for very long term longevity. Quite a few people have had them running for over a year now at 1/2 ohm, but it does decrease the life cycle of the amp -- I doubt one would last 5+ years at 1/2 ohm under the best circumstances.

nah, just looking for a solid, loud as heck daily driver set up. would i better off just going on 1 ohm? or should i just a get a bigger amp for the same amount of money to power the BTL. I know you can pick up those earthquakes PHD5000.1 brand new for a near price of the SAZ1500D. And those things put out 3000 RMS at 2 Ohm being as 2 is as stable as it gets. I know these things use to be really popular in Db drags, and ive seen a few places on the forum that a few years back that 6 out of 10 of the Db drag world finalists were using these earthquake amps. But i dont know, im just throwing out suggestions. Like i said though, keep in mind that im limited to $500 at the most on a amp and that im looking for a loud as crap daily driver.

IMHO, if you go cheap on teh amp, you'll regret it. I mean, you can always buy another later and strap, which maybe a idea for you.

But a 1500d on a BTL aint cuttin it.

Im sorry. Now teh Earthequake, I know nothing about. That might be enough power, who knows, But I would run a amp at .5ohms trying to get teh extra couple 100 watts. Its not worth it. Couple 100 watts is only tenths on teh meter BTW, and I doubt u can hear the differences.

nah, just looking for a solid, loud as heck daily driver set up. would i better off just going on 1 ohm? or should i just a get a bigger amp for the same amount of money to power the BTL. I know you can pick up those earthquakes PHD5000.1 brand new for a near price of the SAZ1500D. And those things put out 3000 RMS at 2 Ohm being as 2 is as stable as it gets. I know these things use to be really popular in Db drags, and ive seen a few places on the forum that a few years back that 6 out of 10 of the Db drag world finalists were using these earthquake amps. But i dont know, im just throwing out suggestions. Like i said though, keep in mind that im limited to $500 at the most on a amp and that im looking for a loud as crap daily driver.

from what i understand the amps back then and the amps now are compltely different. liek the new orion hcca series that are now over rated at 14.4 but even four years ago were underrated at 12.5.

try searching on the termpro forums for the earthquakes amps. i think i remember seeing that they had to be burped at like .5 ohms to get near the rated power. but don't take my word for it go take a look around and search. don't just rely on one forum for the info :) just remember to use the search button.

Considering your usage I wouldn't buy that sub, nor run the amp at .5ohm. You aren't doing burps and should really give that sub as much as it can take or get a different one. Also, running the amp that "hot" for a daily isn't the best choice.

would running a pair for strapped SAZ1500D's be enough power. i guess i could wait the extra few weeks to make some money to go ahead and get them. im really considering maybe doing that. but i have to get the BTL, no doubt about it.

would running a pair for strapped SAZ1500D's be enough power. i guess i could wait the extra few weeks to make some money to go ahead and get them. im really considering maybe doing that. but i have to get the BTL, no doubt about it.

A pair on the BTL works quite well @ 1 ohm per amp (2 ohms strapped).

No love for the 3K here...

3 k would be better then 2 strapped 1500's IMO. And should be a touch cheaper. Talk to denim.

No love for the 3K here...

3 k would be better then 2 strapped 1500's IMO. And should be a touch cheaper. Talk to denim.

2 amps are 99.9% stronger than 1 amp, which both putting out teh same power.

If you got teh space, 1500ds, but if not, Id go with teh 3k.

Sign in to follow this