SpeakerBoy

Blowing up my car with pure sound (2 years to go!!)

so in two years, i am getting a car. it will be my 16th birth day present. now my plan is: (4) MJ-18's in a clamshell (4) 6.5" tang bands in the doors (1) U.S. Amps XT-2000d @ 1ohm (subs) (2) Legacy LA160's (mids and highs) and 6 pioneer tweeters. all this crap is going in the back of a 99' beetle. ported and tuned to 30Hz, will this monster blow my car up? i mean it would be fun, but i would have no mode of transportation. so please, tell me now if doing this will be a waste of money and/or put me out of a car. i mean, how bad could it be? i just like my music loud!

Edited by DeepSubBoy

i personally think yes, it's a total waste of money and last time i checked 4 mj18s are going to be nearly impossible to fit in a beetle without some serious cutting, why bother on your first car?

try this....get a 12" sub, go with the us amps 2000d, get 1 component set and you'll be much happier.

with 2 sets of legacy "mids and highs" and 6 tweeters your setup is going to sound like shit. with 4 mj18s you'll never get enough airspace to use them to their fullest and you won't be as happy as you could be.

plus i'd like to see your gas mileage afterwards.

i vote 1 18" in a H@lla Bigg boxx ported so low it crumbles the morter between bricks...

then put a LOT of power on it to get it moving...

4x 18" subs in a car that small will not work as minimum cf for a ported box is 6cf per sub x4 = 24cf in a Vw :(

not going to happen sorry...

i have an Explorer and the biggest i could get was 15.75cf w/ 4x 15" subs and still sound Great

i just like my music loud!

To be honest, it'd be a shame if you're deaf by the time you graduate HS.

I like things loud too sometimes, don't get me wrong - but driving around with that much is not going to end up well...

legacy is sweeeeeeeeettttttttt

alright. now my backup plan (yes it is nerdish but i have one) is my aunts camry. she wants the beetle so i would get the camry if i said yes to the trade. now. using the backseat and trunk for the box, is it possible?

Not with the back seat still in place, no.

And walling off your first car right away would be a horribly bad idea, IMO. Get a few years of driving experience under your belt, so you can learn to handle something with a different weight distribution...I don't know how much experience you already have behind the wheel at 14, I know I had a fair amount by then, but at my HS there were plenty of people that couldn't keep their cars on the road without anything blocking their rear visibility or changing the way it handles.

Just to give you a idea of how big 18's really are, have a look at this thread.

http://www.soundsolutionsaudio.com/forum/i...16045&st=90

It's a mini, so yes it is small, but even in a normal or even larger size car 18's are just crazy. Other than a van, I don't see how anyone would be able to manage 4 of them efficiently. I say even a well tuned 10 would work for a first system, and keep you very happy.

Not with the back seat still in place, no.

And walling off your first car right away would be a horribly bad idea, IMO. Get a few years of driving experience under your belt, so you can learn to handle something with a different weight distribution...I don't know how much experience you already have behind the wheel at 14, I know I had a fair amount by then, but at my HS there were plenty of people that couldn't keep their cars on the road without anything blocking their rear visibility or changing the way it handles.

alright.... my last ditch i dea before i go to algebra is this: four SSA Icon 15d1's and a us amps 4000d in the backseat, a little like singaboy's eclipse, but two up and two front facing so nothing blocking the rearview (i like that) and ported into the trunk. double seals, and dynamat of course. dang bell rang... lemme know what you think!!

Edited by DeepSubBoy

i want to give you a little help here

more subs does not mean more loud. bigger subs does not mean bigger sound.

subs in their PROPER enclosure = best. if you put a bunch of subs in a box and starve them for air you'll be right back on here complaining about how brand XXXX sub sucks because it's not loud even though you have 203978542 of them in 6ft^3 of space.

If your going to get the Camry, just go and get a single 15" and make a good box for it. I can fit 4.0cu^ft in my Camry, just try that first. We are just trying to save you some money and heartache, by buying subs that won't fit your application.

you want to port them INTO the trunk??? Meaning you want a box laying across your back seat? I'm a bit confused. I think vladd's got some great advice for you though. As ridiculous as it may sound to some people, installation really is the key for these kind of things, not number of subs or the power you can send them.

Stick with maybe 2 15's or something simple like that where you can give them the good airspace and I guarantee you'll be one of the loudest if thats what you're going for. Lord Baccus is running single subs in his explorer and he could come to your town and show everyone whats up I bet lol. The MJ's are nice subs and I wouldn't say they're a bad idea. But there may be other things that you can look into

Also...a Toyota Camry and a 4000d will not be your best friend on a stock electrical. I don't know if you have a budget or what not, but there's a lot of unseen work that will need to be done before any of this can really be put into place. The ICONs are great subs though and aren't a bad choice. Get back to us and we can see what else we can come up with.

Lord Baccus is running single subs in his explorer and he could come to your town and show everyone whats up I bet lol.

Depends on whether or not Tommy K. shows up that day ;):D Much louder with less cone area, and less power, I believe.

so in two years, i am getting a car. it will be my 16th birth day present. now my plan is: (4) MJ-18's in a clamshell (4) 6.5" tang bands in the doors (1) U.S. Amps XT-2000d @ 1ohm (subs) (2) Legacy LA160's (mids and highs) and 6 pioneer tweeters. all this crap is going in the back of a 99' beetle. ported and tuned to 30Hz, will this monster blow my car up? i mean it would be fun, but i would have no mode of transportation. so please, tell me now if doing this will be a waste of money and/or put me out of a car. i mean, how bad could it be? i just like my music loud!

A Beetle sure isn't the place for ONE 18, let alone 4. Even a low ported 12 would use up too much space in that car.

In 2 years time a lot of things will change.

A lot will change over two years.

For all you know, you could get hit by a bus.

It is nice to have a plan, but re-evaluate a little sooner towards the deadline.

i want to give you a little help here

more subs does not mean more loud. bigger subs does not mean bigger sound.

subs in their PROPER enclosure = best. if you put a bunch of subs in a box and starve them for air you'll be right back on here complaining about how brand XXXX sub sucks because it's not loud even though you have 203978542 of them in 6ft^3 of space.

X2 I wish more people understood that. But sometimes you have to learn on your own, would have saved me some money but I like to learn things on my own sometimes. Or cramming to big of a box in the space they have not allowing the sound to develop.

Edited by bromo

Ive got 1 15" RE SX in my Saturn L200, roughly the same size as the Camry and no one will sit in my car with the stereo pumping. Everything becomes blurry when the bass hits and is pretty tough to drive with it going even for me and ive driven around half a million km's or more in my life already.... Do yourself and your ears a favor and start off smaller and do things right, perhaps a 12 or two for your first system and see how that treats ya.

He's 14... I bet you my car that he will change his mind before he even buys anything for it

I am going to also point out that proper install will yeild better results. I have an 08 jeep patriot with 18+ cubic feet of available space if I wanted to use all of it and I am going to be using ~ 1 cubic foot and a single 8" sub instead of an 18" or bigger as it will give me what I want.

You can be rediculously loud with a pair of tens and a 2 cu. foot box.

I would just plan to start upgrading the electrical system.

Plan to start with

-200 amp alt

-Optima yellow top or powermaster battery (or two)

-I would start with a used saz-3000d if you want go-deaf loud

-1 set of good components and a 4 channel amp for the fronts.

There is a golden rule in car audio. Keep it simple stupid. Complex sound systems are more work than trouble.

It's a mini, so yes it is small, but even in a normal or even larger size car 18's are just crazy. Other than a van, I don't see how anyone would be able to manage 4 of them efficiently. I say even a well tuned 10 would work for a first system, and keep you very happy.

ummm jeez... i was imagining a bit smaller...ugh but i had a pair of twelves as my sub in my room, and all i wanted was more. hell, my bro has five 12" woofers in his explorer running at 5kw total and i just want more...i love those lows, those windshield smashing lows that just shake the ground.

ummm jeez... i was imagining a bit smaller...ugh but i had a pair of twelves as my sub in my room, and all i wanted was more. hell, my bro has five 12" woofers in his explorer running at 5kw total and i just want more...i love those lows, those windshield smashing lows that just shake the ground.

what i forgot to mention was, i am going for spl, as in , i want to do competitions. now is that possible with a beetle? or even a camry? i mean, i went on youtube lookin at stuff, and ran across 'galamonkey' and his four fi btl18's and loved it. i just want a car that has MORE that one mile to the gallon. (he drives an expedition)

what i forgot to mention was, i am going for spl, as in , i want to do competitions. now is that possible with a beetle? or even a camry? i mean, i went on youtube lookin at stuff, and ran across 'galamonkey' and his four fi btl18's and loved it. i just want a car that has MORE that one mile to the gallon. (he drives an expedition)

thats an old build..... even so....... and who in the hell runs 5 12's i wanna see the ohm load on that

Wait if your gettin it in 2 years and ur going to be 16 that means now ur just 14?!?!

Wait if your gettin it in 2 years and ur going to be 16 that means now ur just 14?!?!

that has been covered yes