BKOLFO4

(6) Mayhem 15's and (6) 40.1's

Third place. Could have had second if I paid for another re-run. We ran with Skip in the driver's seat and lost 1.3 dB vs. the van empty. I thougth for sure we would gain with him in, but did not. My bad for not testing it first, but keeping batteries charged was a problem, so I hated to test right before our run. The comp was indoors, and no running the vehicle except while actually competing. Charging 15 batteries on a 25 amp charger is a SLOW process.

With the subs in the bigger box, the 40.1's go into protect if I roll it hard as soon as the bass hits. I have to warm the coils and bring the resistance up just a little before I hit it hard. Not a problem, but I will no longer suggest that 40.1's are good for 1/2 ohm daily. . .

Learned a LOT about astro vans at finals. . .I know for a fact I can gain at least 1.5 dB for under $50, and an interchangable port to get my peak up 10+ Hz when competing will also make a BIG difference. My van peaked lower than anything else in street beat that I watched.

I am happy - this van will just about rip your head off playing any kind of music. Tuned at 34 Hz, it has no problem getting low and playing music at a constant 156 dB.

Time to start working on the mids/tweets.

Brian

Best of luck to you Brian! At least you learned.

Time to start building the amp rack. . .

Thinking of something like this for the 40.1's:

vanamprack.jpg

I know I'm kind of late on this one but I see you use Wildfire. I use it at work. If and when I'm ever in the area I'd like to check this bad boy out. Cool build. :)

Plays music louder than anything I have ever built. Tuned to 34 Hz, so it has not had a problem with anything I have tried so far. Funny, All I have right now is a pair of Kicker DS600's in the dash connected to the headunit. Little suckers are loud, but you can barely hear what song is playing when the subs are all the way up!!!

Will try to get some videos this weekend. . .

Brian

take your word for it :) im ready to see some vids

I really want vids!!!!!!

Are you having any flex issues? Window or Roof?

Yes I am. They did not mind when the subs were in 3 ft each, but with the subs in 4 ft each, they will go into protect before full volume until the coils are warm.

Brian

So I just figured out today that 2 of my subs were not playing at finals. I thought they were not moving much because they were new. Turns out the two amps they were connected to were both set to SLAVE instead of MASTER. Man what a difference with all 6 subs playing. I hope that solves my low impedance problem too!

Brian

ahh ready to see some improved numbers now, maybe a 160? ;)

Edited by RobClay

I think they were all working when I did the 159.7. I should have known there was a problem when music dropped to 155. Between the burp and playing music, I adjusted SSF's and LP fillters. Must have hit the switches while making the adjustments. The song I play is at my exact peak and is normally within 1.5 dB of a burp.

We will see. 160 is still the goal. I want to get plastic racing seats for it which should gain me at least 1 dB (gained .9 with the passenger seat out).

man we need some vids :)

x2

Drove the van to work today and forgot the camera so I can't make a video. :( No more cranking it around the house. Neighbors were cool while I tested and tuned before world finals, but I won't keep subjecting them to those volume levels.

Man it is crazy now that all 6 subs are working!!!

Going to have to do something about more alternator, or maybe an adjustable regulator so I can slowly ramp the charge back up. It only takes a minute or so at high volumes and the alt can't keep up. Too much stress on it and I end up having to hook the batteries to the charger to keep from hurting the alt.

I clamped the power inputs to the 40.1's, and it looks like I am pulling just shy of 3000 amps when everything is running full tilt!

Brian

Wow 3k amps!

I wonder how far away people can hear you...

I have heard and seen some bad storys of that air ride suspension...should weld the plates

might as well bag it.

I clamped the power inputs to the 40.1's, and it looks like I am pulling just shy of 3000 amps when everything is running full tilt!

:o

i bet you can hear him from forever away. cuz my cousin has 4 15s and you can hear him almost a mile away and he only has 5000w running to all 4 of em.