hardballer7

Q vs. BL

There's been several threads comparing the Q's to the BL's and basically it's been summed up as the BL's get greater output and Q's thrive in the low 30's of frequency. However, many BL owners have said that the BL's handle their own down low. Two questions: has anyone had both tuned in low 30's that can accurately compare the two? Since I listen to rap/hip hop mostly, do sub 35Hz frequencies even apply to me? (I only ask because most ppl on here that say they listen to mainly rap get reccommended the BL over the Q) thx guys

Generically speaking sub-35hz isn't your cup of tea

Generically speaking sub-35hz isn't your cup of tea

are you saying that sub-35hz isn't applicable to my musical selection? if so, i can dig it..lol but what about the handful of rap songs that do dip to around 30 Hz? Can a BL 18 (say in 7.5cubes tuned 30-32hz) still do the dayum thang?

It'll wang bro.

The BL has more powerhandeling and will get louder if you desire, and where you're looking to go.. the BL will take you.

Yea I can feed my Bl 1500 watts ALL day long

everyone seems to recommend the saz-1500d for the bl

Yep thats what I have mine on fing05.gif

Yep thats what I have mine on fing05.gif

SEC, what's ur box tuned to? are there any rap/hip hop songs that you're not satisfied with the bl's performance?

i belive the bl will get louder but the q will definately show a better response in lower frequencies.

This is all box dependent...

I've done both at 27 hz....

I will admit i could hear an audible difference between a BTL and a Q but it was very hard to tell which sub was which when we did it with a BL and a Q (with the ear).... In fact we had to pull it out to confirm which one was which...

i've discussed it many times with experts here and one thing i learned it's all about the enclosure...

The only thing i can say i heard and that was at low volumes and on rock was that the Q was more accurate on the drums then the BL...

other then that, I tell everyone to come on by and tell me which one is a Q and a BL judging purely by sound, output and low end... Since so many people say the Q out puts a BL on low end... Nobody could do it yet and I'd venture to say only a handful of people here could tell the difference (when we are playing hiphop/rap) Put some sheffield lab on and i'm sure you can tell which is which.. but that has nothing to do with low end output, but more tonal accuracy

I will admit i could hear an audible difference between a BTL and a Q but it was very hard to tell which sub was which when we did it with a BL and a Q (with the ear).... In fact we had to pull it out to confirm which one was which...

i've discussed it many times with experts here and one thing i learned it's all about the enclosure...

The only thing i can say i heard and that was at low volumes and on rock was that the Q was more accurate on the drums then the BL...

other then that, I tell everyone to come on by and tell me which one is a Q and a BL judging purely by sound, output and low end... Since so many people say the Q out puts a BL on low end... Nobody could do it yet and I'd venture to say only a handful of people here could tell the difference (when we are playing hiphop/rap) Put some sheffield lab on and i'm sure you can tell which is which.. but that has nothing to do with low end output, but more tonal accuracy

That is very helpful man...thank you. As of now I'm looking for the best option for a SAZ-1500d. Box will be about 7.5cubes after port and displacement @30ish Hz. I'm torn between 2 Q15's or 1 BL18. If the difference in output from the 2 15's is negligible, I'll go with the 18...whaddya think?

speaking from experience, I have the q 15's in 8 cuft. tuned to 27hz. All i listen to is rap and oh yeah there are some songs that dip below 30hz. I listen to rap alot and thats usually how I pick my cd's by listening to them and if the bass isnt low enough I dont play it. I can say this about the Q's, they really capitalize on the low bass extension, (ie. sub 30hz). I love their output. Couldnt have asked for a driver that fits my needs so closely. Sounds like you and I look for the same thing out of a system; that bass that gets so low you cant hear it, it just makes the whole car shake. I dont have any complaints about the q's, excellent subs which may also be the case with the bl's as I dont have any experience with them. This is an interesting topic for me because I was just wandering the same thing about the bl's. I've played them for a while and am looking to get something that yields a little more output. (BL's maybe?)

And all this while I though the Sheffield lab cd are for comps.

I was wondering the same thing but i have don't have room for ported but what about a 12" Q in a sealed box compare to all that?

Thanks

The Q is recommended for sealed or ported... the BL is recommended for ported...

now that the Enclosure has changed the suggestion of what to run will change as well.. this has nothing to do with either subs capabilities but with the enclosure preference... The Q will be the sub of choice if you ware going to go sealed..

I was wondering the same thing but i have don't have room for ported but what about a 12" Q in a sealed box compare to all that?

Thanks

I would like to know as well. How many cubic feet can one 12" FIQ be good with??

Recommendations are listed on Fi's page, surprisingly enough.