Sign in to follow this  
shizzzon

Very pissed, just got power back

Well, i just got power back after 2 days of no power from the winds of Ike.

One of my pc's PSUs is fried.

Another one of my pcs is having random so called software crashed.

A 5.1 amp in my room is completely fried.

My KVM switch is damaged.

My 51" TV is completely fried.

One of my surge protectors is fried.

Everything that got damaged was on protectors?!?!

This just goes to show you that protectors are somewhat worthless.

My ps2 was wired directly into the all and it's fine... go figure.

So far, repair costs are about $800-1300.

This just goes to show you that protectors are somewhat worthless.

Which is why when really bad weather is forecast, always unplug sensitive electronics from the wall entirely. It's free and guaranteed.

And likely, if all your protectors are MOV-based, I'd look into replacing them all...

i have no idea what MOV-based is but they are all about 8 yrs old, carried $250,000 insurance.... i dont have receipts for any of them.

Yeah I always unplug everything. I don't know why you'd risk it.

Most so called "surge protectors" don't do anything. Glorified circuit breakers basically. They'll melt open more times than not.

:(

I just found out what happened.

When i was at work, the generator was running...

Something funy happened and caught a couple wall sockets on fire.

A day later, when we received power, this is when i found all my things destroyed.

Now, i have one question.

If i had a line conditioner plugged in, would it have prevented anything from getting damaged?

Not everything got damaged though..

As a matter of fact, the sockets that caught fire had protectors on them.

some other protectors still work, another one got fried, some things on some protectors work, others dont.

Don't most of the surge protectors have equipment guarantees, though I imagine they'd find ways out of it.

I just found out what happened.

When i was at work, the generator was running...

Something funy happened and caught a couple wall sockets on fire.

A day later, when we received power, this is when i found all my things destroyed.

Now, i have one question.

If i had a line conditioner plugged in, would it have prevented anything from getting damaged?

Not everything got damaged though..

As a matter of fact, the sockets that caught fire had protectors on them.

some other protectors still work, another one got fried, some things on some protectors work, others dont.

Outlets caught on fire? Holy chit you're lucky you still have a house! Check your house wiring so something doesn't happen inside a wall later and takes the house down when you're not home. If your out\lets got that hot then your Romex in the walls got even hotter. Check it soon. In my work in construction/demolition, I've never seen anything good come from fried wiring.

damn that sucks

i just got power back on today!

been out since the 12th!

its been hell without it, fence blew down and trees are down, no damage to our house or vehicles, our neighbors door with a dead bolt got blown down and they have all their stuff covered in debris and water. it was pretty wicked, i had to go get my dog right when the hurricane was at its worst, just before the eye at about 1 am. wind blowing like wicked hard, and trees snapping left and right, and rain that could pierce your skin!

Found out that somehow the low and high limit for the generator to run at had been locked somehow to the low limit.

What happened is the generator was then only putting out about 105v but also at 50hz.

This would force electronics to start drawing more current to try and work properly thus causing excessive current draw and smoke, etc.

we are looking at attempting to install a 100A single phase line reactor that one of my friends might be able to get.

i lost power as well with ike.

none of our electronics got fried or anything thank goodness

but we did have some roof damage from the wind and water damage in the living room.

but i did notice like u said about the electronics gettin hot because of a lack or a steady current. my cell phone charger got pretty hot!