Sign in to follow this  
Lord Baccus

My version of an SQ / music boxx

I have finished the boxx for the 2x 15" WMD^2 subs w/ carbon fiber cones.

wanted to have a boxx for MUSIC, not SPL

the external dimentions are

H- 18"

W- 41.5"

D- 35.5"

Port was rear fireing

2x pieces 16.5" x 23.75"

overall

H- 16.5"

W- 5"

Lv- 23.75"

I was shooting for 25Hz port Freq: got D@mmm Close

went for a drive and it really POUNDS on the lower notes and has SMOOTH Transition between higher notes...

the subs are loacted on the rear of the boxx facing Up ^^ neer the back window port fires to the rear door seperating the subs and BRACING the boxx

Pics / a lil late but better than never :slayer::snipersmilie:

DSC00008.jpg

DSC00009.jpg

DSC00010.jpg

DSC00013.jpg

Strapped @ 1ohm / 0.5ohm per amp DAILY :domoslay:

DSC00015.jpg

25hz is low, next time try 28 or even 30hz. Going much lower in a car doesn't actually help. Nice to see you trying something new though.

25hz is low, next time try 28 or even 30hz. Going much lower in a car doesn't actually help. Nice to see you trying something new though.

i tuned it too the Fs of the cone :)

i gotta say it is nice being able to hear the notes that fade out on a box tunned higher /

this thing has the Flattest responce iv seen on a plot/cruve.

it does play clean and clear @ lower freq,

i had ordered those sub built to take the power i was going to use and had 2 spiders & additional pole venting too keep the coils cooler :)

i have been pounding them in an 11cf enclosure for 2 weeks now and i havent smelled the Glue burn off yet they havent gotten warm enuff with 2x 3000d amps STRAPPED playing in a box ported @ 25Hz !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

AMAZING :slayer:

i know its not the tipical SQ box, and thank you for the kind input... do you think i should round off the corners on the Port openning ?

@ lower volumes i can hear faint port turbulance...

Rounding the corners of the port could help with the turbulence.. making the port slightly bigger would also help though.

Rounding the corners of the port could help with the turbulence.. making the port slightly bigger would also help though.

I was thinking the same about rounding off those edges.

Glad to see you doing a box like this. :)

Glad to see you doing a box like this. :)

Thank you :)

i did round off the port corners & got the boxx finnished / carpetted etc etc etc Looks Freeking Sweeeeeeeet :slayer:

will post pics later

looks just like the box im building haha nice one tho:)

now that you have stepped into the world of musical enclosures finally (welcome BTW) i'm anxious to see how long it is b4 that 12" T-line gets built lol

Edited by kandiman

What's the giant line of glue curved across the top of the box?

Not bad though. Last box I built was around 32hz and I thought it was darn near perfect.

LB off topic a bit. but what do you tune your spl box's to

What's the giant line of glue curved across the top of the box?

Not bad though. Last box I built was around 32hz and I thought it was darn near perfect.

the gule was from previous attempt to build a box i saw in a supermodd van / i had did a ruff estimate and cut the dimentions in half thinking it would slamm @ss in the SUV and it did above 90Hz, but not below 80Hz :(

this was the boxx that Floopped :bull:

P1010810.jpg

P1010812.jpg

P1010813.jpg

P1010815.jpg

P1010821.jpg

so i took it appart and rebuilt it into the Bigg 25Hz Beast

DSC00009.jpg

DSC00103.jpg

with that first box try making your sealed chamber a little bigger and cut your port area by half.

looks like that box that flopped was just a 4th order bandpass that was tuned too high....try tuning to your peak frequency

Edited by aznboi3644

SADD but True :( it was a 4th order banpass that i tried winnging off the top of my head and it flopped Baddddddddddddddd

Tuning to driver Fs usually isn't the right answer. Most subs want a tuning a bit higher than that, some lower, almost none right at. Without T/S parameters you're just guessing at volume and tuning. Not the best way to get nice response from a sub. At least you're giving it a shot. :thumbsup:

Tuning to driver Fs usually isn't the right answer. Most subs want a tuning a bit higher than that, some lower,

almost none right at. Without T/S parameters you're just guessing at volume and tuning.

Not the best way to get nice response from a sub. At least you're giving it a shot. :thumbsup:

i am going to have it metered and find out what it wound up being / i had planned on the ports being 27" /

but with the wood i had it wound up being 24.75" so i think its tuned to about 28Hz :shrug:

i just wanted to try something different closer to SQ / take a walk on the SQ side of life :)

i know its not an 8" sub but it was as close as i could get with the equipment i had on hand,

thats why i contacted PAP and had them build a set of Musical subs that could take the power from Both the Sundown Audio 3000d amps :)

i have a 12" SS SPL-X quad coil but the tollerance on the coil gap is tight like the RE MT - not ment for Music /