mrray13

Welcome to the IHoP

Unless you absolutely need a small portable saw, do not ever buy one. For cutting large sheets they are almost flat out unsafe.

With a real saw one can do straight cuts, angle cuts, box joints, cove cutting, molding head, jointing, miter joints, tenon cutting, dovetails, etc. With a cheap saw, one can only do straight cuts, and some angle cuts accurately. Also from the beginning you are behind the eight ball on power, quality, repeatability, durability, stability, etc.

Thanks for the tool recommendations and after doing some research I will just make my own table or stands so yeah a table saw is out the picture.

When I get the space for it, I plan to get one of those 10" ryobi table saws and build a longer and wider table around it. The saw itself is only $114 from the Depot so you could put it together real nice and sturdy for $200 which is very cheap considering how much the bigger ones are. Just a though J.

A quality table saw is so much more than a large table. A cheapo bench top 'table saw' with a big table around it isn't much at all.

I can not say this enough. On a table saw, save once, buy once. PERIOD Also, another necessary investment is a book, pamphlet, one on one time with a quality woodworker (not a neighborhood hack), or a class for learning how to properly use a table saw (or just woodshop). There is so much more one can do than cut a straight line with one.

Im not trying to say this was a "quality" table saw. I know how much they cost and how precise they are. I was merely suggesting a cheap alternative to cutting large sheets of wood safely and accurately by table saw instead of a skillsaw. If everyone had the money, we can get the best of everything. :) But thats not always the case.

J, the Depot also has a Ryobi 18 volt drill/skillsaw combo for $49. Awesome deal and I already got one. Love it.

Appreciate ya man, Im just looking and pricing now. I wanted to know what were the preferred brands and since the B-day is coming up in January then hopefully I can snag a few tools. Thanks again guys Mikita it is, I even took into all the consideration that you said TopGun with the bits and blades (what is HSS quality just curious since I took some notes down and wanted to be clear on it).

Thanks for the tool recommendations and after doing some research I will just make my own table or stands so yeah a table saw is out the picture.

When I get the space for it, I plan to get one of those 10" ryobi table saws and build a longer and wider table around it. The saw itself is only $114 from the Depot so you could put it together real nice and sturdy for $200 which is very cheap considering how much the bigger ones are. Just a though J.

A quality table saw is so much more than a large table. A cheapo bench top 'table saw' with a big table around it isn't much at all.

I can not say this enough. On a table saw, save once, buy once. PERIOD Also, another necessary investment is a book, pamphlet, one on one time with a quality woodworker (not a neighborhood hack), or a class for learning how to properly use a table saw (or just woodshop). There is so much more one can do than cut a straight line with one.

Im not trying to say this was a "quality" table saw. I know how much they cost and how precise they are. I was merely suggesting a cheap alternative to cutting large sheets of wood safely and accurately by table saw instead of a skillsaw. If everyone had the money, we can get the best of everything. :) But thats not always the case.

The best alternative to cutting full sheets on a real table saw is a quality circ saw, a cutting table (read table to put wood on that you can run the blade through) and a saw guide like what I linked in a prior post. They make the guides in various lengths to accommodate different sized lumber.

This football game is full of so much fail and is just making me legitimately mad.

For a table, make a 4'x8' rectangular frame out of 2x4's, like you are studding up a wall on ~12" centers so you can lay a sheet down on it, be fully supported and run the saw blade through the studs when cutting your sheet.

You then have a place to securely place your heavy ass piece of plywood and clamp to, won't move around, and a sacrificial table that it doesn't matter if you cut into.

The best alternative to cutting full sheets on a real table saw is a quality circ saw, a cutting table (read table to put wood on that you can run the blade through) and a saw guide like what I linked in a prior post. They make the guides in various lengths to accommodate different sized lumber.

Or you can do that as well.

R2 speaks the truth!

With my whole budget and mind I want a good table saw. I think they now get called "cabinet saws". I just cannot afford the space in my garage. I would have to move my entire shop from the 1 car stall into the 2 car stall.

Then tell the wife when I get the benz her car sits outside. =P

Probably not gonna happen.

You can make a good worm drive/hypoid saw do almost everything. It just takes some more consideration planning and thought. The link Ryan threw up is a good tool.

on a loosely related note....

We are probably getting the father in law this

http://www.rockwelltoolsdirect.com/jawhorse/workbench.html

He rigs up the craziest stuff with cheep sawhorses and clamps.. He will never ask anyone for help. Christmass will be my excuse for getting it. The W and her little bro will go in on it. SOooooo that means I will pay for it.

:D

He's done so much for us at the house I've been meanign to do something, but he doesn't take gifts well. This should be perfect.

Never seen something like that. Have done the same things with dogs in a table and a vise dog.

Jawhorse is a pretty damned nifty device, that's for sure

.....and I'm out!

Good night one and all!

It was a good night, ended the drought. I guess that means I have a gf now.

way to go slugger!

grats.

Haha. Easily the loudest girl I've ever been with. I was like wow, the neighbors are probably awake now. Even the ones in the next apartment building.

Did she make you her boyfriend beforehand? Last time I did this, fucking her didn't make us BF/GF, but if you're cool with it. .

Well neither of us is really the random ass type. And we both have said (the day before this) that we went out on dates with other people before meeting each other and have ignored those other people since. So while that's not a definite talk of exclusivity, I think we're on the same page.

.....and I'm out!

Good night one and all!

way to go slugger!

grats.

Haha. Easily the loudest girl I've ever been with. I was like wow, the neighbors are probably awake now. Even the ones in the next apartment building.

fucking A right. That's the way you break a dry spell!

Haha. It actually was a little bit weird for me. I'm quiet, and that's how my previous gfs have been too. So it was interesting I suppose you could say. Might take some getting used to.

.....and I'm out!

Good night one and all!

way to go slugger!

grats.

fucking A right. That's the way you break a dry spell!

Haha. It actually was a little bit weird for me. I'm quiet, and that's how my previous gfs have been too. So it was interesting I suppose you could say. Might take some getting used to.

Earplugs?

sorry, had to :lol2:

My room mates girlfriend is the same way. He is in the most secluded part of the apt, and I have heard it from my room on the opposite side.

oh and one thing to add about football today

STEELERS=BIG FUCKIN DISAPPOINTMENT