mrray13

Welcome to the IHoP

quick question, my SAE-1000D doesn't have red or black on the RCA inputs. Does it matter on a subwoofer amp or am I just blind?

-John

I don't think it matters.

I'm using the DMM technique and I got a value of 30volts using the equation sqrt(900Wx1ohms). Is that the right formula? It seems low since my last set-up was 31.6volts

I know the ICON can handle more than 900watts and the amp can do 1113watts, but I'd like to only do 900rms for right now. Can anyone help me?

also, what does the subsonic knob on the amp do?

-John

I got one more question. I read that you need to leave the speakers hooked up on a class D amp when you tune with the DMM method because running them without a load can ruin the amp. Is this true?

I just tried to tune it, turned the gain up about half way and only got like 5.xx at the most. I must be doing something wrong. I know the same thing happened with my last system but I can't remember what the problem was... I think it was something like I didn't have the prongs in the speaker leads when I turned the truck on and powered the radio on or something

can anyone help me out here?

-John

Damn, has anyone been watching Live earth? It's freakin awesome. I was watching Madonna last night on the HD station. My dad said it's been on XM...you can actually listen to all the different venues around the world that are playing. So I went out and finally bought an Inno myself.....it's pretty bad ass as well. Caught it on clearance for 175. Includes everything I need, just gotta buy a car kit now.

Point is...you should buy an inno. Second, you should be watching or listening to live earth.

I'm using the DMM technique and I got a value of 30volts using the equation sqrt(900Wx1ohms). Is that the right formula? It seems low since my last set-up was 31.6volts

I know the ICON can handle more than 900watts and the amp can do 1113watts, but I'd like to only do 900rms for right now. Can anyone help me?

also, what does the subsonic knob on the amp do?

-John

900 watts RMS at 1 ohm = 30 v RMS

now, iirc the dmm shows the peak value, which means you need to set it so the dmm shows 42 V

someone correct me if i'm wrong...

all the subsonic does is filter the ultra low frequencies so that there is a reduced risk of overexcursion. if the icon is sealed, set the subsonic as low as you can. otherwise, somewhere between 5-10 hz below the tuning frequency is allright.

ALL DAY STAG????????

NICE

Pics of STFU

J

Yes, all day. I just got home. I'm drunk as fuck & completely wore out now.

good night empty hop. I am gonna catch some z's.

off-topic, what does the acronym 'iirc' mean?

Can someone explain really quick the DMM method. I know I'm doing something wrong like I did last year cause I can't get the value above 6.xx volts with the gain maxed out. I disconnected the power speaker wire, left the ground speaker wire in... put the probes in the speaker leads... turned the truck on, played the CD. Is that the right method? I've got the DMM set on AC volts with the little sine wave over the V

I know it's a brain-fart cause the same thing happened last year

-John

off-topic, what does the acronym 'iirc' mean?

Can someone explain really quick the DMM method. I know I'm doing something wrong like I did last year cause I can't get the value above 6.xx volts with the gain maxed out. I disconnected the power speaker wire, left the ground speaker wire in... put the probes in the speaker leads... turned the truck on, played the CD. Is that the right method? I've got the DMM set on AC volts with the little sine wave over the V

I know it's a brain-fart cause the same thing happened last year

-John

iirc= if i remember correctly

leave both speaker wires hooked up. if you disconnect one, the amp sees no load, thus won't produce any power. otherwise, you have the dmm set correctly.

also remember, the dmm method isn't precise. teh impedence changes do to a few different varibles. but it'll get you close. you still want to listen for any distortion at that gain setting. and if you hear it, back the gain off a bit.

wheeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee :slayer:

Hey Kent, I've been meaning to ask you. How is the whole situation going that we all talked about the other night.

no clue. i haven't heard anything. only new news is the other employees are checking into doing the exact same thing, lol.

dude is definitely going down sooner then later, lol.

wheeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee :slayer:

no clue. i haven't heard anything. only new news is the other employees are checking into doing the exact same thing, lol.

dude is definitely going down sooner then later, lol.

wheeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee :slayer:

right on.

I see the captain and Adrian :hay: :hay:

leave both speaker wires hooked up. if you disconnect one, the amp sees no load, thus won't produce any power. otherwise, you have the dmm set correctly.

also remember, the dmm method isn't precise. teh impedence changes do to a few different varibles. but it'll get you close. you still want to listen for any distortion at that gain setting. and if you hear it, back the gain off a bit.

see I tried it with the speaker wires in and not in and got the same values. Is distortion noticable? I saw the video of what bass boost sounds like when it starts clipping, is it going to be that noticeable to my ear? I was messing with the gain by ear and the sub was getting really loud, but still sounded good. I'm not sure how loud is too loud since i went from 250watts single 10" sealed to a 1000watts 12" ported. I'm scared to turn the gain up cause this system is nice. I'll play with it some more and see what happens. Having it clip for a few seconds wont hurt anything right? Like if I'm playing with it to see if I can hear it clipping, that won't hurt anything right?

-John

hey Chris

what's shakin d00d.

oh and I'm pissed right now. I just called my dad to help me setup my XM radio because it'll be like 7 bucks a month since it'll be the 3rd device on the same plan. He goes, "well we pay every 2 years." I said, "dad I can't afford to pay a 2 year subscription...that's ridiculous, why can't I just pay 7 dollars a month?" he says, "well come up with a year and activation fee and we'll get you all set up." Now it would cost me 114 dollars to do this year thing plus activation....WHAT THE FUC*. Come on now, I wish he would have told me that BEFORE I went out and bought it.........Now I have no idea wtf to do. This is so stupid, just take 7 dollars out of my bank account every month, it's not that god da*n hard.

see I tried it with the speaker wires in and not in and got the same values. Is distortion noticable? I saw the video of what bass boost sounds like when it starts clipping, is it going to be that noticeable to my ear? I was messing with the gain by ear and the sub was getting really loud, but still sounded good. I'm not sure how loud is too loud since i went from 250watts single 10" sealed to a 1000watts 12" ported. I'm scared to turn the gain up cause this system is nice. I'll play with it some more and see what happens. Having it clip for a few seconds wont hurt anything right? Like if I'm playing with it to see if I can hear it clipping, that won't hurt anything right?

-John

take a pic of what your doing when setting the amp with the dmm.

a little clipping will not hurt. so if your playing with the gain, trying to hear it clip, you won't hurt anything, especialy if u start ot smell the sub, back it off for awhile and let the coil cool.

wheeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee :slayer:

looking at pics from a local tuning show :D

it took place last weekend, while i was studying.

other than that, i'm tired. worked almost all day with the excavator on a very steep slope.

shower time

bye

later on Adrian.

take a pic of what your doing when setting the amp with the dmm.

a little clipping will not hurt. so if your playing with the gain, trying to hear it clip, you won't hurt anything, especialy if u start ot smell the sub, back it off for awhile and let the coil cool.

wheeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee :slayer:

Here's some pics from another attempt. The second pic was the 50Hz test tone at the volume I listen at with the gains turned up real high

IMG_4249.jpg

IMG_4250.jpg

I listened to some music that I always listen to, and it was as loud if not quieter than my single 10 was. I wired the sub just like this pic:

1_2ohmDVC_1ohm.gif

I ran the black wire to the negative on one voice coil, ran a connecter wire to the other - voice coil and did the same with the positive, but I ran the main + wire to the opposite voice coil that I ran the - main speaker wire to, like the pic shows to do.

I'm stumped, or maybe I just thought this set-up would be able to massage my seat a little... :/

-John

Whenever I get stumped I start re-setting my gains, ssf's etc all over again. Start with just setting the low pass around 60-70 hz, than leave the ssf all of the way down if it is sealed. Make sure the phase is all of the way one way or the other. Turn your head unit up to about 3/4 volume and just start turning the gain up. Remember that a sine wave will clip before music.

Whenever I get stumped I start re-setting my gains, ssf's etc all over again. Start with just setting the low pass around 60-70 hz, than leave the ssf all of the way down if it is sealed. Make sure the phase is all of the way one way or the other. Turn your head unit up to about 3/4 volume and just start turning the gain up. Remember that a sine wave will clip before music.

well I have the stock BOSE system, and turning the headunit to 3/4 volume would not be good... I listen a little under halfway mark when I really want it loud. I downloaded the test tone from some site, so do you think it's recorded at a different volume than what my music is? I know when I use a friends CD, sometimes they're quieter than my CD's.

Is there any kinda store that will rent or let me use an O-scope around Austin, TX? I hate all this guestimating, I'd like to see what my amp is actually doing digitally

-John

Sometimes we overlook the stupidest little things. I know when I put my DD m1 in my buddies truck the phase know wasn't all the way to one side or another costing him a bit of volume.

Sometimes we overlook the stupidest little things. I know when I put my DD m1 in my buddies truck the phase know wasn't all the way to one side or another costing him a bit of volume.

I'll mess with it some more... I hate just testing stuff out cause I feel like I'm gonna blow the driver or amp just testing things out

-John