mrray13

Welcome to the IHoP

My gut instantly screams no

So for a beginner like me that would not be a good starter grill?

Gotta go get an old friend Salior Jerry :woot:

tonic and kettle for me!

Jack tea and lemon here

Drinks all around tonight :drink40::woot:

Do you want to smoke with it? You are in a cold climate, I honestly whould think the best starter smoker is the BGE. It's probably the most forgiving, and the easiest to keep at a steady temp. It's even more important on the northern part of the states where it's cold.

I drum type smoker won't seal as well(in general) and at that price point I would think the craftsmanship won't hold up. for years on end. and will have a LOT of play in the joints.

will you primarily be smoking or grilling?

How many people do you want to feed? Ribs butts brisket?

Mostly grilling. The only reason I am interested in doing this is because I read what you guys are saying about doing this and figured I would give it a try. If I liked it maybe I could get rid of the gas grill. As for what I would cook, pretty much anything that is good to eat.

honestly for regular grilling a gas grill has a ton of advantages. It's not wrong to go the gas route.

Smoking though, if you have an interest I would really recommend spending more than less. The quality of lower cost smokers shows fast. The BGE for example won't rust out on me. It's ceramic. And since it insulates so well you can to so much more in cold weather. I only cooked with my BGE while my kitchen was out of order. I went 1 month with no other cooking device. Not even a hot plate. Then I got a water boiling tea pot, and it was another month untill the oven was in. Then another month and a half before the cook top.

This was in MN winter with LOTS of wind and snow.

;)

honestly for regular grilling a gas grill has a ton of advantages. It's not wrong to go the gas route.

Smoking though, if you have an interest I would really recommend spending more than less. The quality of lower cost smokers shows fast. The BGE for example won't rust out on me. It's ceramic. And since it insulates so well you can to so much more in cold weather. I only cooked with my BGE while my kitchen was out of order. I went 1 month with no other cooking device. Not even a hot plate. Then I got a water boiling tea pot, and it was another month untill the oven was in. Then another month and a half before the cook top.

This was in MN winter with LOTS of wind and snow.

;)

Maybe after Christmas I will just go and buy the BGE. I know I may not use it very much, but you guys sure make it sound fun eating all of that good food you are making.

Thanks

Sean, on the note of you butchering your own pig, do we get the photo of you with a carved hog and a big ass knife?

The first pic I posted of myself on this site was me holding a halved pig up. :)

Ahhh yes, that one. I wonder if Tom has that to post up... ;)

uh, no

Gotta go get an old friend Salior Jerry :woot:

mm, <3 Sailor Jerry

I have a handle bottle. Sorry make that a handle bottle 2/3 full now. :)

Mostly grilling. The only reason I am interested in doing this is because I read what you guys are saying about doing this and figured I would give it a try. If I liked it maybe I could get rid of the gas grill. As for what I would cook, pretty much anything that is good to eat.

I love smoking and charcoal and all that but quite honestly its far too much of a hassle for one or two people compared to a gas grill

I am lazy though, :D

my version of an ideal setup would be a cooktop with one of those built in grills for everyday usage with the XL BGE on hand for cookouts and BBQ

30%22+Modular+Electric+Cooktop+with+Downdraft+Ventilation+%2F+Grill+in+White.jpg

something like that, only gas and more burners

Bluestar and Wolf have some very nice ones

I love smoking and charcoal and all that but quite honestly its far too much of a hassle for one or two people compared to a gas grill

I am lazy though, :D

Yea, maybe I will stick to the gas grill and get the BGE to play with.

"I'd Rather Be On A Ship With A Drink On The Rocks, Than In The Drink With A Ship On The Rocks." ;)

since we're talking BGE's here, just how hot can you get 'em? 700? 800? More?

I could blow glass in it. I regularly find medium size hunks of glass in the ash when I let the old coal burn off. I'm pretty sure it can get into the 900's at the grate if not much more.

I should also mention that it burned off the felt gasket they have on there in less than 5 seconds once after opening while insanely hot.

I bought some Cotronics gasket, if you'd like some no problemo

Okay gents.

I need a bookshelf DIY recomendation. I don't think the wife will let me put in towers in the living room unless they are spectacular to look at and have a small and not too tall foot print.

I have the 18" Q for low end anyway. She will use it to pound out music when she's in the mood so basically a strong mid bass for rock music. Probably used 95% of the time for TV/movie watching, but the reason for the upgrade is she wants to have better sounding louder music, and she hates watching action movies with the TV's crap speakers.

It will be backed up RIGHT against the wall, perhaps touching it. So forward vented or sealed?

Any sugestions?

Budget?

I really don't want that to be a limiting factor.

If I really had to come down to it? I doubt I would invest more than 300-400 for a pair for everything. That puts it in the realm of cost of the NHT classic 3's that I really liked(though extremely harsh IMO) and under some of the b & w's.

How big is too big?

mmMMmm a little peper and lemon juice with butter and creme drizzled over panko and some parmesan on top of the scalops.

AHM NOM NOM NOM NOM

yummy

Those are super hard to cnotrol, but can turn out good food. If you are at all serious about using it, you won't like it.

You can't really grill on the offset smoker you linked, it is only a smoker. Not so much on the Smoky Mountain either. If you want to do both the BGE is really a GREAT starting point.

I still use my gas grill as often if not more often though, so it isn't a replacement. Anyone who says that you cannot get grilled flavor off gas is an idiot. You can't BBQ on gas though as that needs real fire.

And since you are up North I will tell you that there is a HUGE difference between BBQ and Grilling.