blue fury

Build log for 1996 Chevy Lumina- The Blue Fury

I realized I hadn't posted this on SSA so here it is.

My car is a 1996 Chevy Lumina LS and is my daily driver. Everything is pretty much stock except for a few things-

Excessive Amperage 200A alt

Big 3 0g

Optima yellowtop in front

Northstar NSB 90

0g front to back

As of a couple days ago I had a budget stereo. RF power 5 1/4 and 6x9 coaxials in the stock locations. A visonik 240xt to power them. I have 2 but only run 1 10" RF power HX2 sub in a 1.75 @33hz off of a DUB8001 amp. My HU is a premier p490ib with my 2G nano connected to it. But right now, I replaced the DUB amp with an RF T10001bd and gave my 6x9's away. Nothing looks really nice because its still temporary.. as in many wires aren't in their final locations, etc.

There will be a few possible sections to this build log.

Seat Screening

Sub Box

Amp Rack

Glassing the Doors

This wont be done until maybe early spring of 09 because of slow income and not much free time. Not to mention certain products aren't available yet.

And now.... Seat screening. I got this idea from Thumpper and changed it a little bit.

PIC-0184.jpg

PIC-0185.jpg

A blue blanket to hide everything the next couple days I wont have a back seat. I thought it fit nicely.

PIC-0186.jpg

Unmodified

PIC-0187.jpg

Screen color comparison... not perfect but close enough.

PIC-0188.jpg

Target area

PIC-0189.jpg

PIC-0190.jpg

PIC-0191.jpg

PIC-0192.jpg

Knife time

PIC-0193.jpg

PIC-0194.jpg

So far so goodPIC-0195.jpg

PIC-0196.jpg

PIC-0197.jpg

The screen is held in place with a few staples for now, but I'm done for the night. Its 2am and I've got school tomorrow.

A couple more pictures of the car itself. The project is on hold for a couple hours because I gotta start working on my Halloween costume.

PIC-0199.jpg

The dirty blue fury. Living in the country on a grapevine ranch makes for a never ending battle. I gave up cleaning my car because it would get this dirty less than a week later.

PIC-0198.jpg

Flames make it faster.

PIC-0200.jpg

My hu/iPod holder

PIC-0201.jpg

PIC-0202.jpg

It was really easy to make.

1/3 into sewing the screen on, I started to backtrack because the last 2 inches weren't straight. During then I tested the strength and it failed right at the last 2 inches. Pulled it all out. Definitely gotta find some nice mesh, even if I have to buy an office chair just to get the 16"x7" square I'd use.

Oh well, That'll count as 15 hours of practice for hand stitching the next piece on.

Not much progress made on the screening except for that I undid all the screen and replaced it with mesh. Ive been busy with finals and other projects, not to mention I bent or broke all the needles I was using so this has been on hold. I just took one pic cause there isnt much to it.

PIC-0238.jpg

2 days ago I started the box. Its a 6th order tuned to 33 and 63hz designed by Jud (Fallen) Thanks again man. This is as far as I got:

Before I started I had to make a sandwich.. polska kielbasa, colby jack, butter, bbq sauce, honey, and tobasco sauce on a 2 foot french baguette baked then broiled. But next time, double meant and double cheese.

PIC-0219.jpg

The sub is my other hx2 10"

PIC-0228.jpg

PIC-0220.jpg

Just tilt your head to the right Im too lazy to actually rotate the pic

PIC-0221.jpg

PIC-0222.jpg

PIC-0223.jpg

PIC-0224.jpg

PIC-0225.jpg

Still no jig for the router, gotta do it the long way but it came out great.

PIC-0226.jpg

PIC-0227.jpg

PIC-0229.jpg

PIC-0230.jpg

PIC-0231.jpg

PIC-0232.jpg

PIC-0233.jpg

PIC-0234.jpg

What a beautiful nick on the top edge there. woops

PIC-0235.jpg

PIC-0236.jpg

PIC-0237.jpg

Making the gasket. I planned on it being in my car today but a setback caused otherwise. Anywho

PIC-0239.jpg

Thats a ziplock bag cut to strips on top of the silicone.

PIC-0240.jpg

PIC-0241.jpg

Gasket will be 1/8"

PIC-0242.jpg

The box is finished for now. The only things left to do are for aesthetic purposes only (wood filler over the screws, carpet, painting the ports, etc) so those steps will be done down the road when I do the amp rack.

PIC-0256.jpg

PIC-0257.jpg

PIC-0254.jpg

PIC-0255.jpg

The box is a LOT better than my last one which was built to the suggested specs from the manual.

whos blue prints?

Looks great, I want to know how it sounds now.

whos blue prints?

Read the post it was by Fallen @ (ROE) :)

Edited by bromo

Sweet gasket idea!!! Looks like it makes for a clean job.

whos blue prints?

calm down calm down... from where was more of my question

whos blue prints?

Right above the sammiches.

whos blue prints?

I am calm notice the smiley :Doh:

that thing is gona pound for being a single 10...nice work!

Edited by MTX520

yeah i looked over that sweet meat n cheese and see who dood it,

im interested...

did you try this sub in a plain box first?

edit: im gussing you had seems how this is the "other" one.... good deal!

whos blue prints?

Yup, Jud T. 'Fallen' over from ROE. He works with Rob 'Ferret' over at RCBenclosures.com Paid for the design a couple weeks ago and finally finished it yesterday.

This is the 3rd box for one of these- the 1st was just a very temporary test box. I wanted to hear what it sounded like in a sealed box suggested from the manual... crap. The 2nd was a ported built by me from the manual specs. It was also supposed to be temporary but slow income caused it to be in use for about a year. It couldve been better but it still impressed my buddies.. me not so much. This one Im very pleased with.

I'm lovin that gasket idea. What did you use, Permatex Blue RTV?

I used GM 100% silicone II black door and window sealant. I experimented with different products for gasket and other applications a couple years ago when I made my own ping pong paddles and found this to be the best for the price.

Ive always liked the way the hx2's looked :) very nice box also

The hood flames and sandwich make the build that much better. :)

Here are those Vifa tweeters

PIC-0284.jpg

PIC-0287.jpg

PIC-0285.jpg

PIC-0286.jpg

I did some work a week or 2 ago...

PIC-0277.jpg

PIC-0278.jpg

PIC-0276.jpg

PIC-0279.jpg

PIC-0280.jpg

I got as far as 2 layers of mat and 1 of fleece but it ended up warping during the last drying period. Wasn't really mad because I figured it would happen. BTW that's a red pipe cleaner in the shape of a guitar I got as part of a birthday gift. I just realized that in the picture it's partially blocked so it looks kinda naughty.

This time around I kept everything in the car for every layer and it's coming out way better. The cardboard isn't the final shape of the baffle, its more for positioning, getting an angle and an extra hand for the tweeter. The tube is a substitute magnet for the mid to show exactly how much clearance I have without using the speaker itself.

I just took these about a half hour ago while I was making cut lines on the fiberglass base. Only the driver one has this much progress, I'm going to do everything but wrap it in vinyl before I continue the passenger mount. They are facing the middle passenger and will angle upward towards the head.

Driver window:

PIC-0294.jpg

Driver headrest:

PIC-0292.jpg

Driver view:

PIC-0293.jpg

Middle passenger ear position:

PIC-0291.jpg

PIC-0291.jpg

Front passenger:

PIC-0295.jpg

Here's where I'd like some advice. Does the position look good so far? There isn't a whole lot I can do to change it in that location, but little suggestions still will help.

Edited by blue fury

It looks like it blocks your line of sight a little too much but that's just me.

question. WHERE DID YOU get your damn alt at hah, ive been looking for a 200amp alt for my 1995 lumina :P i got a 15in fi bl in it :)

Since the site was down yesterday I didnt get to add this so I might have mislead you to believe that this was the one and only location I was going to try. But thanks for the constructive feedback, it's exactly what I need to get it right.

I should mention that I used cardboard because I knew I would move things around. This is one option for mounting and its not hard to figure out that it'll be pretty distracting, but it was the easiest to set up and best for imaging.

I cut the baffle down to a more realistic shape and its still big. On to option two.

brooks1.jpg

DSC02130_resize.jpg

That first picture is what I based the first position off of, but the magnet on the mid is so damn big! The next position I'll try will be inspired by the first and the second picture.

Edited by blue fury

I got the alt from Nate at Excessive Amperage