Sign in to follow this  
ShaneSauce

Thinking of a new box

Been bumping my 15" SSD for a while now and I'm still loving every second of it except for one thing.

The rattle.

Its not the trunk rattling its my back deck speakers, and the reason their rattling so bad is because the sub is firing up towards them.

My dad had to buy a special bolt and locking nut to keep the screws from backing out because every time i listened to it the screws holding the back deck speakers in backed out about 2 inches.

Its really annoying, you either have to listen music with the bass so low it doesn't rattle them or so loud you can't hear the rattle.

*And I'm not taking the back deck speakers out they help fill the cabin with highs

So here is my plan,

Make a forward firing box and face it towards the back seat to stop the back deck rattling.

Which would make it sound so much better.

To do this I have to cut out the trunk suspension bars that hold the trunk up while its open.

*I would have made the first box forward firing but these bars in the trunk made it so I could only fit a 13.5" tall box

My main question is how would 4cuft@34hz firing forward sound compared to my 3.5cuft@33hz firing up?

Edited by ShaneSauce

Do the speakers have a baffle preventing the pressure from the sub from affecting them? Or are the back of the speakers exposed to the pressure?

If they aren't sealed, they should be. I know XTC makes foam baffles that drop in the hole before you put your speakers in, they alone will help - a lot. It would also clean up the response from your rear fill speakers. If you can't find the XTC baffles, fab up an enclosure around them.... and make sure they are securely bolted in place. Use bolts with Nylock nuts (they won't ever back out), and use a gasket sealer to cushion the speaker from the deck vibrating.

And make sure there is sufficient room for the pressure from the SSD to get into the cab. If it's firing up at the back deck, the deck had better be perforated to let the air move.

Unless you like the buzzing of metal vibrating, in which case disregard anything you've ever learned....

^^^^very true.. you also might want to think about the fact that since your trunk is sealed off you will build up ALOT of pressure so maybe a lil deadener or more deadener if you have already have some. would it also be possible to make the box narrower to keep it between the trunk supports?

^^^ yes the speakers are in plastic baffles mounted on the back with the nylock or whatever.

If you look back you can see the whole back deck and seat flexing.

The trunk supports are on the roof of the trunk so I can't make the box shorter.

I have to cut them off.

I know the sub firing towards the baffles is whats making the awful noise so I'm just going to face the sub towards the back seat or face it towards the back of the trunk.

Well since their is probably alot of pressure in the trunk, they are going to rattle anyways. whatever you try to do to them

I'd try cutting some holes in the back to help the pressure escape (but not so much that it makes the deck weak and rattle more), then cover the thing with a bunch of deadener. Really you just need a bunch of mass to put on it to help stop the vibration.

why not put some aeroports somehwere between your speakers....idk...just a thought

If your trunk is totally sealed from the cabin of the car everything is pretty much gonna rattle how it is.. Your best bet would be deaden the heck out of the rear deck, put a gasket between the speakers and the deck.