fuzzyping

Still looking for components

I've been looking for new components for my 4Runner almost as long as I've been posting at SSA. The JBL P650C comps have served me dutifully (if not spectacularly) over the last couple years. I've never been able to find a quality set at a reasonable price that would fit in my doors without modification.

I believe that the Hybrid Audio Clarus C51-2's will fit in there fine. I can't seem to track down the depth measurements in any of the Hybrid manuals, so I'm not comfortable that the C61-2's will fit. Can anyone recommend another high-quality 5-6" woofer with a shallow depth? As a point of reference, I also have a set of Seas CA18RLYs that won't fit. The basket won't fit the door cavity, and there isn't enough space behind the door panel to add rings behind the speaker. I believe the maximum depth I have to work with (surround to magnet) is around 76mm (3").

Here's an image from a similar 4Runner to give you an idea of the cavity. Notice the window track running directly behind the speaker placement. Really bonehead design.

Deadening_004.jpg

2456802335_58dea8f00b_o.jpg

I have an 05 4runner and if your panels are anything like mine, you should have plenty of room. I mounted Alpine 6.5 typ-r's with no problems.

I have an 05 4runner and if your panels are anything like mine, you should have plenty of room. I mounted Alpine 6.5 typ-r's with no problems.

Nope, they're nothing like yours. The 4th generation 4Runners started in 2003. Mine is a 2002.

Nope, they're nothing like yours. The 4th generation 4Runners started in 2003. Mine is a 2002.

So your door panels do not have the depth that mine does?

So your door panels do not have the depth that mine does?

I've never measured the 4th generation panels, but I think that's an accurate statement. There is literally 3.25" from the inside of the door panel to the window track directly behind the speaker cavity. I deducted 1/4" from my prior estimate to account for excursion.

slap a pair of cdt cl62 's on a pair of MDF rings and call it the day

That looks like a good suggestion. I'm not reading good things about those tweeters though. Good thing I still have my set of Seas 27TAFNC/G from Madisound.

I'm not sold 100% on those CDTs yet. I'd like to get some opinions on the CDT CL-62 versus the Clarus C51-2. I think both will fit my needs and the price is similar (crushed box sale for HAT).

I understand now, have you thought about modifiying your door panels? Maybe adding an inch or two of depth would get you where you need to be.

I understand now, have you thought about modifiying your door panels? Maybe adding an inch or two of depth would get you where you need to be.

Many late nights. I really want to avoid any modifications to the door panels. The car is paid off now, but I just don't feel like glassing.

Has anyone tried the CDT ES-6 mids? They also look like a good fit. If I'm going to spend that $300+ dollars, I might as well get my money's worth on the woofer. I already have a good set of tweeters and no need for the crossovers.

I think I might "step down" to the Peerless 831882 5.75" woofer. It gets great reviews and will certainly fit my space. It should blend in nicely with my RL-i8's. Any last thoughts before I place the order? :)

I think I might "step down" to the Peerless 831882 5.75" woofer. It gets great reviews and will certainly fit my space. It should blend in nicely with my RL-i8's. Any last thoughts before I place the order? :)

Sounds like a good plan. I've read a lot of good things about the Exclusives (heard the 8inch version, awesome midbass)

You got me thinking, is the Vifa P13WH00 or Vifa PL14WJ-09-08 too large? Vifa always seems to be a safe choice. Might not preform quite at the level of the Revelators, but usually their price to performance ratio is very high. Also I cannot remember if we talked about the Dayton RS150's :)

sounds good too me as well

After taking another look at the OEM mounting hardware and my Seas CA18RLY, I'm going to try manufacturing a wooden baffle/mount. If my math is right, there's a good chance they'll fit. What makes those woofers so difficult to fit are the way the terminals stick way out to one side. This requires a 6" diameter opening at least 1 1/2" behind the mounting ring. I think a 3/4" mounting plate with another 3/4" ring (and maybe an extra 1/4") should be enough to clear the window track and door panel.

If all else fails, I can fall back on the Peerless. But I need to at give it a shot, right? ;)

If all else fails, I can fall back on the Peerless. But I need to at give it a shot, right? ;)

Certainly :)

Have you thought about bending those mounting tabs a little ?

Certainly :)

Have you thought about bending those mounting tabs a little ?

It's not that the tabs themselves are pointing out. The post(?) they're attached to is just that far out to the side. Pics over here at the build log.

As before, I still like the CA's for your app. Glad you are leaning that way :)

try some of the mids that illusion audio made if you can find them, they are supposed to be terrific and are shallow as hell