Sign in to follow this  
tripslipfall

AQ1200D & DD M1a the same??

Holy f!

I was just looking at the AQ1200D, and then I looked at the Digital Designs M1a, and they look almost exactly the same, here's what I'm talking about.

DD M1a

M1aPower.jpg

AQ1200D

AQ1200D-powerend.jpg

DD M1a

M1aPreAmp.jpg

AQ1200D

AQ1200D-preamp.jpg

The only difference I see, is there is no remote connection on the DD M1a, but everything else is exactly the same, and it's all in the exact same place.

What do you guys think?

Wont really know until someone opens them up and compares components.

Yeah I was thinking that, does anyone happen to have both these amplifiers?

DD and AQ are sister company's.

The owner of AQ is the father of the owner of DD. So it is likely they are the same amp.

The owner of AQ is the father of the owner of DD. So it is likely they are the same amp.

Same boards maybe. Most likely different components.

AQ uses Chines parts.

DD uses American parts

Here is what DJ (owner of AQ) said:

"Our AQ amps use the best parts money can buy. We are internet direct sales only which allows us to spend more money on our amps and still have resonable prices. Each AQ amp gets a two hour "BURN IN" and a full power test before leaving the factory. Our amps are built in South Korea by the same company that builds the DD "M" series amps."

Whether same internals or not...IDK.

Kind of off topic, but are RD & Sundown amps the same? Pics of internals look exactly the same except it looks like RD has gold interconnects & Sundown has silver.

Edited by kram3r

Yeah I remember hearing that somewhere, I just forgot about it.

That clears some things up...

Kind of off topic, but are RD & Sundown amps the same? Pics of internals look exactly the same except it looks like RD has gold interconnects & Sundown has silver.

Wow, that's an interesting one, I just looked at pics of the RD 1750.1D and the Sundown SAZ-1500D and you're right, the internals are exactly the same, similar cases too.

Guess that would be something to ask Jacob...

The AQ's seem to share a great deal of components and lay out with HiFonics. Some RD and some Sundown are made in the same place, but the testing, development, upgrades, and constant improvements Sundown does has not been matched or even come close to by RD.

Every car (and home) audio amp made has some Chinese in it..... No way around that for the last 40 or 50 years....

Many companies share common boards and similiar looking parts (AQ, DD, HiFonics) (RD, Sundown) it's the over all design, parts quality, who stuffs the boards, production quality and TESTING that make a big difference in amps with similiar boards. Quality production control and preshipping burn-in is expensive and adds considerably to the final cost but is well worth the added expense.

Warranty returns are not a profit center; the better you built the amp the less returns you have. The best warranty is the one you never have to use.

AQ uses Chines parts.

DD uses American parts

If you really are talking about amps...

:bsflag:

You'll play hell trying to find american made capacitors in any of those amplifiers pictured.

Even when it comes to restoring a old hi-fi tube amp, most the replacement electrolytic capacitors are sourced and made overseas.

Even the modern "Sprague Atoms" are made either in China or Japan.

Except the CE Manufacturing aluminum multisectional electrolytic capacitors......I think they are made in the US, in Califiornia or some such.

Most the high quality boutique Electrolytic capacitors are made in Japan. Such as the Nichicon Muse series, Elna Cerafines, Rubycon Black Gates........

I'm sure there is quality made American electrolytic capacitors out there, but I really doubt they will be in common consumer grade car electronics.

I also wouldn't doubt all those amplifiers pictured are made in the same South Korean plant. The plant probably does quality control, and the dealer who pawns them off in the states probably does testing and more quality assurance before they are sold.

And with a whole pallet of amps, I'm sure they have to go through, test, and ween out some of the bunk ones.

:ughdunno:

Edited by MikeS

AQ uses Chines parts.

DD uses American parts

If you really are talking about amps...

:bsflag:

which of those quotes are you saying BS to?

the wayy to knoww is to test the amps, looking at them will accomplish nadda and I should be able to give a review in the next few weeks - month on this amp and afew of their subs which will give you guys an indication if their dece or bust.