anarchyaudio

Final Got My system tuned

I just don't think just having speakers in front will satisfy me.

Just like I said in the Hop, you shouldn't think out loud when you don't know. It is ALWAYS better.

Look at it this way, if you can double your speaker budget by not having any speakers in your rear, other than sub stage, you will be satisfied.

The only thing that rear speakers will do in a car, is impress someone who doesn't know anything about audio.

When I first got into audio, I had no idea what a "front stage" was. I had no idea about imaging or anything like that. But after trial and error, and now being able to gleen information from people who know MUCH more about sound than myself, I learned.

You will never acheive any level of SQ by having rear. It will take away from the experience for ALL 2 channel music. Period. Fight it if you want, but it will every time. It's just they way it works. You may be able to get slightly louder, but nothing that putting double your money into front stage drivers will do. And by going active you can even loosen up more funds, as you won't need crossovers.

i really dont understand how anyone can sit in a car with that many speakers to begin with... maybe your hearing is shot or something... or maybe im wrong and we've all spent hours messing with xovers and TA for nothing... i mean who need TA when the speaker is practically in your ear right? haha

seriously tho just cut the rear stage and through some g's on the front. you wont be disappointed

Edited by lithium

As an example:

Tweets are crossed over @ 3.5 khrz

Mids @ 63Hrz to 3.2 khrz

Subs @ 50 and below

Don't forget that crossovers are not brick walls.

Brick walls, not that I know I would use them if I had them, depends on how they would perform, but does anyone know of any brick wall crossovers for car use yet? I haven't seen steeper filters than 4th order for cars.

As an example:

Mids @ 63Hrz to 3.2 khrz

Subs @ 50 and below

Brick walls, not that I know I would use them if I had them, depends on how they would perform, but does anyone know of any brick wall crossovers for car use yet? I haven't seen steeper filters than 4th order for cars.

I have never seen anything steep than 24/db

As an example:

Mids @ 63Hrz to 3.2 khrz

Subs @ 50 and below

Exactly, err, almost. As I stated they aren't brick walls, but the DCX2496 does do 48dB and I have seen 96dB slopes which is pretty close but still not a brick wall.

As an example:

Mids @ 63Hrz to 3.2 khrz

Subs @ 50 and below

Exactly, err, almost. As I stated they aren't brick walls, but the DCX2496 does do 48dB and I have seen 96dB slopes which is pretty close but still not a brick wall.

Why would you ever want that? Wouldn't that make it much easier to discern the individual speakers? Someone enlighten me! :)

OK this is the way I am seeing it with underlapping and slope points. I am more doing this to make sure I am thinking about it correctly when I adjust.

So the x-over point with a 6db slope will be a longer slope to get to the xover frequency. There is still frequency exhange along 2 xover points becuase they overlap of each other in the frequency range the fruther you move the 6db slope point down the freqency point away from the other side of the xover point the less freq you are overlapping. So the more you move the points away from each other is the underlapping of the frequency along the range is so that each speaker knows what its playing and there are not 2 different speakers playing the same frequencies.

I am pretty sure thats the right way to think about it. Though if the above is true then with a 24 db slope you would need less of a gap between crossover points and still get the underlapping for the speakers

So if you had a a high pass @ 3.5k @ 6db and a low pass mid 3.5k @ 6 db all the freq between would be x-over as the slope rolls off. so both tweet and mid would play both ranges of the slopes roll off.

But if you move the crossover point out so leave the highpass @ 3.5k @ 6db and lower the low pass mid to say 2k @ 6db so now you have basicly stopped the speaker from competing to produse those freq between 2k and 3.5k and have a much lower freq base of overlapped frequencies

So if it was 24db slope would close the gap between crossover points due to the steeper slope roll off.

My question is why wouldn't you want the steep slopes?

The reason 18 db is out of phase is the slope needs to double on the steepness of the slope in order to stay in phase. 18 db is an inbetween point for the doubling from 12 to 24. That's why 18 is out of phase. I hope that is right.

Btw M I changed my tweets to out of phase and they filled out some more and lost some of the brightness to them, which is great considering on sometimes they would get alittle splashy and bright. They are still bright just seem to mellow it out a little.

Edited by Anarchyaudio

what speakers are u running? (just curious)

As an example:

Mids @ 63Hrz to 3.2 khrz

Subs @ 50 and below

Why would you ever want that? Wouldn't that make it much easier to discern the individual speakers? Someone enlighten me! :)

The point is to blend the speakers, not hear all your speakers as separate elements.